"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #41
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Rubios Fresh Mexican Grill is expanding to other states. They were the first restaurant chain to offer the now famous fish taco and they have a very health conscious menu. El Pollo Loco is also pretty healthy, I like their chicken.

Worst on my list is Carl's Jr. They added mexican food to their menu. The most gringo mexican food I've ever had. Their fish taco consists of 1 fish stick with some salsa
added, wrapped in a tortilla. When I say fish stick, I mean just that, the kind you had as a kid. The rest of their mexican fare is just as gringo.
I went to Taco Del Mar and was upset that they used fried, breaded fish in their Fish Tacos. We went once...now I just make my own with fresh filets, no breading and delicious! Chipotle/Mango salsa...okay, I need to go buy fish.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Some fuel for thought:
One of the things I've seen mentioned is folks preferring mom & pops, or privately owned places, instead of chains. I'm kind of in the category myself, at least in my own town... BUT, I have been out of town and dined at some pretty lousy mom & pops. At least with a chain, regional differences and wait staff aside, you pretty much know what you are getting into; family setting, not so family oriented, sports bar, people singing happy birthday olé every five minutes... I do believe chains have their place in the grand scheme of eating. Much moreseo that walking into a Mel's Diner and hoping you get a good meal. At least by me, most chains are located by shopping complexes, probably just for that purpose, so people can pick and choose based on past experience. BTW, I am not talking about fast food places in this thought.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

I can't imagine having breading on a fish taco, PF, but then, there are one or two wing joints in my area that bread their wings before deep frying. Silly people, lol.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #44
Half Baked

I think the breaded fried fish is just as authentic as grilled.
The diffference is the fresh filet versus the minced machine extruded fish stick.This is street/beach food.

I am making fish tacos tonight with fresh fried filets,cabbage,radish,cilantro and some lime. The girls will add some creme and avacado.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #45
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The only thing that made me wabt to try my own fish tacos after that was the dressing and cabbage on the tacos.

I quickly went into different coleslaw dressing mode...
Old 03-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Some fuel for thought:
One of the things I've seen mentioned is folks preferring mom & pops, or privately owned places, instead of chains. I'm kind of in the category myself, at least in my own town... BUT, I have been out of town and dined at some pretty lousy mom & pops. At least with a chain, regional differences and wait staff aside, you pretty much know what you are getting into; family setting, not so family oriented, sports bar, people singing happy birthday olé every five minutes... I do believe chains have their place in the grand scheme of eating. Much moreseo that walking into a Mel's Diner and hoping you get a good meal. At least by me, most chains are located by shopping complexes, probably just for that purpose, so people can pick and choose based on past experience. BTW, I am not talking about fast food places in this thought.
Zagats or other Internet resources will steer you to good food on the road. There is no need to ever eat at an Applebees or Olive Garden in your lifetime.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:36 AM   #47
Senior Cook

Our Pollo Loco's have all gone out of business - at least in the Hampton/Va Beach areas. Never did much for us as far as tacos go...BUT...if you want a good taco palce to to, I would suggets MOES...I fell in love w/their taco a few yrs back...its just pure "yuuuummmm" on a plate! As far as other restaurant fav's go, well, I am extremely partial to OUTBACKS clam chowder...it WILL "knock your socks off"...I can't restist ordering a cup of this whenever we go there. It's simply the BEST thing that I have EVER eaten as far as a soup goes.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:19 AM   #48
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Soft, almost mushy, no flavor, no chewy crust, no substance... yep, that's it!
AND full of HFCS! Yum!
Old 03-13-2011, 05:20 AM   #49
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I went to Taco Del Mar and was upset that they used fried, breaded fish in their Fish Tacos. We went once...now I just make my own with fresh filets, no breading and delicious! Chipotle/Mango salsa...okay, I need to go buy fish.
Fiona, would you please share that recipe? We love fish tacos around here, and that addition would be DEE-vine. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the source, Jenneyma. I'm going to look up some local diners and see if they are listed, or how they are rated.
And I've only eaten at an Applebees once. I had one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. I must have gotten lucky.