"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #61
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher View Post
Although we don't have any within a 30 minute drive, I've never complained when looking for fast food and coming upon a Boston Market. Rotisserie chicken, some steamed veggies, and a hunk of bread. Panera usually has good bread and okay sandwiches/salads...

I agree on Boston Market. A great place to pick up the makings of a picnic lunch. A whole chicken, some slaw and bread and you're set.

I like Panera for their breads. Very good baguettes. Their sandwiches can be good but their soups are salty.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Speaking of Wendy's fries, I usually grab a value meal there a couple times a year. I stopped there a couple days a go for a drive home lunch meal, after grocery shopping, and they changed their fries. They are thin and crispy and still have the skin on. Better than McD's fries, which seems to be the comparison when talking fast food fries, although I don't know why. Anyway, gone are those soggy things the local Wendy's called french fries.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I just remembered another small chain I like: Montreal restaurant Dagwoods

The atmosphere is nothing special, it's like any fast food chain. But, the sandwiches are really good. You watch them cut the meat in front of you and tell them what toppings. They bake their own white and whole wheat bread.

We live around the corner from the first one. My DH has been bringing home those sandwiches since they opened.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhallner View Post
My favorite restaurant chain would have to be Rudy River Steakhouse. I'm not sure how popular the chain is on the east coast, but here in the west there are a number of places. It is so cozy and quiet!! They have great sourdough bread!! Love it!

My least favorite would be Ihop!! Sorry, but I don't see what is so great about their pancakes...

ihop has super good german crepes. that is always what i order. anytime i go, lunch or dinner or whatever. and that is certainly not often.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:58 AM   #65
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
What is your least favorite chain restaurant?

Mine hands down has got to be Applebee's. I have tried several and that was several too many for me. I was not satisfied with the food or service on any visit. I'll leave it at that!

I do have a few chains I like for the most part. Bucco de Beppo,PF chang, even Chili's and Chevys are ok. I think the best one for me apart from the uber expensive steak chains is Maggiano's. They seem to have it together on the food and service. It is a long wait getting in on Fri/Sat so I choose not to go there then.

What you got?
My favourite is TGI FRIDAY'S. I couldn't resist it. But my kids love Macdonald's and Pizza Hut.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #66
Senior Cook

Some of my favorite restaurants are:
Firehouse Subs - kids eat free on Sunday's
Subway
Longhorns & Outback
Chili's
Golden Corral

Least favorite restaurant would have to be Applebees & Ruby Tuesdays....
Don't like ruby Tuesday's food.
Applebees- always get bad service and don't like the food :(
Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #67
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
The 5 Guys here is fantastic...upon reading fat and salt content...they are higher than Mc D's.
Five guys is GREAT! Only ate there once but food was fantastic...
Old 03-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #68
Executive Chef

Being in Colorado, you just don't have the diners like other places, but I do love to go to a diner when I travel. Sometimes the dives have the greatest food. We have a few local places that are good. One local chain is Conway's Red Top. Good place for a burger. The service is always great which is always a plus for me. As far as chains...I like Olive Garden for lunch (soup, salad and breadsticks). I really would rather stay home for dinner (aka supper).
Old 03-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #69
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Being in Colorado, you just don't have the diners like other places, but I do love to go to a diner when I travel. Sometimes the dives have the greatest food. We have a few local places that are good. One local chain is Conway's Red Top. Good place for a burger. The service is always great which is always a plus for me. As far as chains...I like Olive Garden for lunch (soup, salad and breadsticks). I really would rather stay home for dinner (aka supper).
Are you near Fort Collins, Chopper? While not a Chain...Ted's Place...home of the kick butt cinnamon roll. We made dad stop there every time we went to Grandma's (Brighton, CO).
Old 03-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #70
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Chopper, I love diners and strive to find them when I travel. I especially enjoy the ones that have not changed and have a history to them. If I cannot find a diner, I look for regional Mom and Pop stops.

Like most on here, I tend to avoid chains. That being said, I will admit to LOVING Waffle House. I love everything about Waffle House and cannot for the life of me tell anyone why.

I really do not like Ruby Tuesdays. Love the song and am miffy the restaurant is not better because they use the name!