Favorite and least favorite chain restaurant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rubios Fresh Mexican Grill is expanding to other states. They were the first restaurant chain to offer the now famous fish taco and they have a very health conscious menu. El Pollo Loco is also pretty healthy, I like their chicken.

Worst on my list is Carl's Jr. They added mexican food to their menu. The most gringo mexican food I've ever had. Their fish taco consists of 1 fish stick with some salsa
added, wrapped in a tortilla. When I say fish stick, I mean just that, the kind you had as a kid. The rest of their mexican fare is just as gringo.

I went to Taco Del Mar and was upset that they used fried, breaded fish in their Fish Tacos. We went once...now I just make my own with fresh filets, no breading and delicious! Chipotle/Mango salsa...okay, I need to go buy fish.

Some fuel for thought:
One of the things I've seen mentioned is folks preferring mom & pops, or privately owned places, instead of chains. I'm kind of in the category myself, at least in my own town... BUT, I have been out of town and dined at some pretty lousy mom & pops. At least with a chain, regional differences and wait staff aside, you pretty much know what you are getting into; family setting, not so family oriented, sports bar, people singing happy birthday olé every five minutes... I do believe chains have their place in the grand scheme of eating. Much moreseo that walking into a Mel's Diner and hoping you get a good meal. At least by me, most chains are located by shopping complexes, probably just for that purpose, so people can pick and choose based on past experience. BTW, I am not talking about fast food places in this thought.

I can't imagine having breading on a fish taco, PF, but then, there are one or two wing joints in my area that bread their wings before deep frying. Silly people, lol.

I think the breaded fried fish is just as authentic as grilled.
The diffference is the fresh filet versus the minced machine extruded fish stick.This is street/beach food.

I am making fish tacos tonight with fresh fried filets,cabbage,radish,cilantro and some lime. The girls will add some creme and avacado.

The only thing that made me wabt to try my own fish tacos after that was the dressing and cabbage on the tacos.

I quickly went into different coleslaw dressing mode...:chef:

Some fuel for thought:
One of the things I've seen mentioned is folks preferring mom & pops, or privately owned places, instead of chains. I'm kind of in the category myself, at least in my own town... BUT, I have been out of town and dined at some pretty lousy mom & pops. At least with a chain, regional differences and wait staff aside, you pretty much know what you are getting into; family setting, not so family oriented, sports bar, people singing happy birthday olé every five minutes... I do believe chains have their place in the grand scheme of eating. Much moreseo that walking into a Mel's Diner and hoping you get a good meal. At least by me, most chains are located by shopping complexes, probably just for that purpose, so people can pick and choose based on past experience. BTW, I am not talking about fast food places in this thought.

Zagats or other Internet resources will steer you to good food on the road. There is no need to ever eat at an Applebees or Olive Garden in your lifetime.

Our Pollo Loco's have all gone out of business - at least in the Hampton/Va Beach areas. Never did much for us as far as tacos go...BUT...if you want a good taco palce to to, I would suggets MOES...I fell in love w/their taco a few yrs back...its just pure "yuuuummmm" on a plate! As far as other restaurant fav's go, well, I am extremely partial to OUTBACKS clam chowder...it WILL "knock your socks off"...I can't restist ordering a cup of this whenever we go there. It's simply the BEST thing that I have EVER eaten as far as a soup goes.

I went to Taco Del Mar and was upset that they used fried, breaded fish in their Fish Tacos. We went once...now I just make my own with fresh filets, no breading and delicious! Chipotle/Mango salsa...okay, I need to go buy fish.

Fiona, would you please share that recipe? We love fish tacos around here, and that addition would be DEE-vine. :chef: Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the source, Jenneyma. I'm going to look up some local diners and see if they are listed, or how they are rated.
And I've only eaten at an Applebees once. I had one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. I must have gotten lucky.

Texas Roadhouse for steaks, Luce's for Italian (it's a small family owned place here in SC - not really a chain), Popeye's for chicken. Bob Evans for general stuff. Other wise it's my kitchen.

There is a smaller chain that poped up by me called The Pub. They have a great beer selection, and really good food. Fish and chips, fried calamari, beef and sauerkraut are some. They also let you create your own half and half beer. The most recent I made was Guiness and Dogfish 60 min. Awesome.

Because of food sensitivities and allergies, we don't eat out...but there was a restaurant (not fast food, in the "St. Catherine street area" of Montreal that had "to die for" steak sandwiches...). Melt-in-your-mouth...my mouth waters whenever I think of those steak sandwiches...

There is a smaller chain that poped up by me called The Pub. They have a great beer selection, and really good food. Fish and chips, fried calamari, beef and sauerkraut are some. They also let you create your own half and half beer. The most recent I made was Guiness and Dogfish 60 min. Awesome.

Where is by you, Megamark?
I've never heard of that chain either.

The first time I had fish tacos at a restaurant, it was at Rubio's in San Diego, and it was made with fish sticks (you could order up and get other, non-breaded fish or shell fish tacos/burritos, but the basic was made with ... fish sticks). The first time I ever had a fish taco it was made by my San Diego friends who were visiting, and they used breaded fish filets, joking all the way, and that's where they learned to make them. Hades, any time a guest makes ME dinner, I'm a happy hostess!

My favorite restaurant chain would have to be Rudy River Steakhouse. I'm not sure how popular the chain is on the east coast, but here in the west there are a number of places. It is so cozy and quiet!! They have great sourdough bread!! Love it!

My least favorite would be Ihop!! Sorry, but I don't see what is so great about their pancakes...

My favorite restaurant chain would have to be Rudy River Steakhouse. I'm not sure how popular the chain is on the east coast, but here in the west there are a number of places. It is so cozy and quiet!! They have great sourdough bread!! Love it!

My least favorite would be Ihop!! Sorry, but I don't see what is so great about their pancakes...

:flowers::flowers:Monica, Welcome to DC,

Josie

Although we don't have any within a 30 minute drive, I've never complained when looking for fast food and coming upon a Boston Market. Rotisserie chicken, some steamed veggies, and a hunk of bread. Panera usually has good bread and okay sandwiches/salads if you choose the ones with actual diced chicken and not meat-jello deli meat. Nothing memorable, but edible in a pinch. I'll eat a chicken, pepper, onion, mushroom, and cheese sub from D'Angelos now and then, and I'll get a BLT from Subway if I must. Once a year or so I'll grab a cone at Friendly's take-out window.

If I'm forced to eat at a place that hangs stuff on the wall (Applebees, Chilis, TGIF, etc.) I tend to order a burger. I can usually hit it with enough ketchup to get it down the hatch with a beer that is almost always cold and fresh (due to the volume they go through). I try to visit these "Flair" places no more than once a year (and never by my own free choice).

When I was little I liked Wendy's French Fries. Just for the heck of it I tried them a year or two ago and was very disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom