"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Each one of them has something to offer if you are wise enough to listen and watch..You might not like the type of shirt or sense of humor, but you are trying to pick up tips to make your own meals the best.You are not there to critique the cloths or personality your there to learn and improve...I don't know any of them so who am I to decide how smart they are or how pleasant in person..I go by what I can learn to help me What I do see is someone who looks as if they love what they do and always has a smile on their face., as they work.
kadesma

Old 02-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
WHO?

Bertolli is a brand of olive oil. I think you meant "Batali." Please. His name is everywhere on the web. It's not that hard.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Each one of them has something to offer if you are wise enough to listen and watch..You might not like the type of shirt or sense of humor, but you are trying to pick up tips to make your own meals the best.You are not there to critique the cloths or personality your there to learn and improve...I don't know any of them so who am I to decide how smart they are or how pleasant in person..I go by what I can learn to help me What I do see is someone who looks as if they love what they do and always has a smile on their face., as they work.
kadesma
I disagree. This is teleVISION. Vision is part of the name and vision is important. What you see is the first impression and if you don't like what you are seeing, it's hard to hear what a host is saying. Additionally, television stars put themselves out there in the public as long as people are offering opinions on the shows and not the personal lives of these people, that's well within acceptable limits of television viewing. If I can't stand a celeb's voice or the color of their kitchen, I'm not going to learn from them because the visual is too distracting. But that's why there are so many different shows and chefs. There's someone for everyone.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

That is unfortunate for you Callisto. I mean that in a nice way so I hope you take it that way.

For instance, I found Julia Child very annoying to listen to. Her voice was quite annoying to me. I am very glad I did not let that get in my way of learning from her though because I would have been much less knowledgeable today if I did.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
That is unfortunate for you Callisto. I mean that in a nice way so I hope you take it that way.

For instance, I found Julia Child very annoying to listen to. Her voice was quite annoying to me. I am very glad I did not let that get in my way of learning from her though because I would have been much less knowledgeable today if I did.
I am not talking nostalgic references. I'm talking today, where visual is key. Like I can't watch Racheal Ray's current eps because of the orange kitchen but used to like her old shows. I don't see it as unfortunate, there are hundreds of shows on a week, my range is broad enough that I don't need to listen to Giada or the Barefoot Contessa lady. There's enough choices out there today that by being selective I'm not limiting myself.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #26
Chief Eating Officer

Nostalgic or not the idea is the same. I could just as easily replace Julia with Sarah Moultin in my example (for me). Sarah drives me crazy. I am glad I can get past that though because she sure knows her way around a kitchen and I have learned things from her that I would not have learned from the TV personalities that do not annoy me.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I am not talking nostalgic references. I'm talking today, where visual is key. Like I can't watch Racheal Ray's current eps because of the orange kitchen but used to like her old shows. I don't see it as unfortunate, there are hundreds of shows on a week, my range is broad enough that I don't need to listen to Giada or the Barefoot Contessa lady. There's enough choices out there today that by being selective I'm not limiting myself.
I don't expect you to agree with me..I was trying in a nice way to just say this is my favorite and I don't care for that one, without making hurtful remarks about them. It is not going to change anything,to be rude, it just will upset us so the simple thing to do if you aren't interested..just move on
kadesma
Old 02-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Nostalgic or not the idea is the same. I could just as easily replace Julia with Sarah Moultin in my example (for me).
Who? I thought this was about Food Network Stars. She's not a listed chef on FN.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I don't expect you to agree with me..I was trying in a nice way to just say this is my favorite and I don't care for that one, without making hurtful remarks about them. It is not going to change anything,to be rude, it just will upset us so the simple thing to do if you aren't interested..just move on
kadesma
Huh? The quoted post was a reply to GB and had nothing to do with anything you said. I'm confused.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Who? I thought this was about Food Network Stars. She's not a listed chef on FN.
Sarah Moultin was a food network star for quite a while.