Favorite cheeses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm planning on taking brie baked in puff pastry to one of our holiday gatherings. I've never had it that way but I'm really looking forward to it and I love how well it presents... in the pictures anyway :LOL: We'll see how it goes in my kitchen.

Snickerdoodle, I'm sure you know better than to do what I did once.
I did a baked brie topped with a cranberry chutney inside the crust. I set it on a cookie sheet, set the timer, and left the kitchen. When I returned, the whole thing had broken through the crust, and was in a puddle on the floor of the oven. What a mess.:ohmy::wacko: Lesson learned, don't use a flat cookie sheet.

I did a baked brie topped with a cranberry chutney inside the crust. I set it on a cookie sheet, set the timer, and left the kitchen. When I returned, the whole thing had broken through the crust, and was in a puddle on the floor of the oven. What a mess.:ohmy::wacko: Lesson learned, don't use a flat cookie sheet.

*gasp* Don't assume I wouldn't have done that :ROFLMAO::LOL:. My kitchen is full of possibilities and Murphy is never too far away. Thanks for sharing!

my love of cheese knows no bounds

Cotswold, Stilton, Caerphilly, Parmesan, Romano, Roquefort, Brie, Champignon, Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Feta, ...and on it goes

Ummm...Cheese Shop Sketch...I'm a total cheese freak! I love them all! I like sitting with some Stilton and watching the baby cat steal it from my plate.

My favourite is first, Feta. A lovely creamy cheese locally produced, unlike the salty bitter variations that I find in British supermarkets. Secondly, Cheddar made at the Dadidstowe Creamy, also a firm favourite in my family.

Parmigiano Reggiano is always lovely but costs a small fortune where i live.

I always gravitate towards the cheese counter first whenever I visit Trader Joe's mostly to feast my eyes. I make most of my cheese purchases at either Costco or Sam's simply because they're a hell of a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the tip. I'll put it in my Pyrex casserole dish to keep it contained. Your experience sounds like something I would do. I would cry to see all that beautiful cheese on the bottom of the oven.:(

Okay. I'm back from my shopping trip and I did the cheese splurge.

I got: Ricotta and Mozzarella & noodles for lasagna. At the fancy cheese counter, I got Brie and Gruyere, plus a block of regular Swiss.

I'm looking for easy ways to have the Brie and Gruyere. I don't really think I'm ready to add stuff to it, but I know Brie is served warm. the last time I had it, I saved up the rind and ate it too. Can I save up the rind to use in a sauce or dish?

What about Gruyere? I remember Mom buying assorted mini wedges and how much I loved the Gruyere, but how do I use it? Eat it as is, warm it, use it to cook? If so, what?

I eat the brie rind with the cheese.

I like gruyere best in fondue or a cheese sauce.
I wouls add some of the swiss too.
Dip some nice crusty bread into it!

I eat the brie rind with the cheese.

I like gruyere best in fondue or a cheese sauce.
I wouls add some of the swiss too.
Dip some nice crusty bread into it!

Thanks. I do have some French bread in the freezer, but don't have a fondue pot. How should I melt it? I like the idea of adding Swiss, but what proportion?

You don't need a fondue pot.My swiss friend makes it on the stove and just uses the pot to keep it warm.It works better that way but you can just put the pot back on the stove for a minute or two. I'll find you a link for a recipe similar to his. BRB

This one is good
http://www.gofondue.com/fondue_101.htm

Check out the classic recipe.

I also do an oil one at the same time and dunk beef or ther meats.
Onion dip makes a nice dip for beef chunks.

Last edited:
You don't need a fondue pot.My swiss friend makes it on the stove and just uses the pot to keep it warm.It works better that way but you can just put the pot back on the stove for a minute or two. I'll find you a link for a recipe similar to his. BRB

This one is good
Fondue 101 Guide

Check out the classic recipe.

I also do an oil one at the same time and dunk beef or ther meats.
Onion dip makes a nice dip for beef chunks.

Thanks. I'll check it out. Bleu cheese dressing is also a dynamite dip for filet mignon. Did it once by accident. Now if I have Filet, I always have Bleu cheese dressing to dunk in.

I put both the Brie and Gruyere on the counter to come to room temperature, but it's not especially warm in here.

I cut myself a sliver of each to taste, and I think what I'll do is toast a slice of 12 grain bread with some of each on top. That way I'll have a better idea of their flavors, then see what my mind comes up with.

Wow, what a difference. The warmed cheese, plus the nutty taste of the 12 grain is way different and better than room temp. I may just gorge myself and make lasagna tomorrow!

Last edited:
I love cheese! I really like smoked gouda, goat cheese, pepper jack, sharp cheddar, and mozzarella, I do not like fontina, but have a soft spot in my heart for brie. I swear, I have 2 pounds of cheese on my hips.

I like myzithra with sage and brown butter pasta too.
A good substitute is a Mexican cheese called Cotija.
It is a sharp and salty, crumbly and hard goat cheese.

I think the Coastal Cheddar was a British or Irish import.

mmmm, the sage is a great idea. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Cotija. Know any major stores that sell it? or should I just check around?

What are your favorite cheeses and how do you like them?
I couldn't limit it to just one!
I love Grana Padano eaten plain with a little apricot wine.
I love Gorganzola stuffed into poached pears then rolled in nuts.
Who could say no to gruyere in a Fondue pot with your friends to help eat.
A hot pepper or habenero jack cheese does it for me too.
These sound delish. I love this thread 4meandthem...very interesting. I didn't post because my choices are so ho-hum. Sharp Cheddar, melted Swiss, goat, feta, etc...

Plus:

Marinated Soft Mozzarella Balls in herb infused olive oil (found at Trader Joe's and deli...the soft variety is a little more expensive but worth it). I add these (room temperature) in after I've heated up a mixture of edamame, fasioli beans, pitted kalamata olives, heirloom tomato chunks, thin sliced onion, and yellow corn (opt). I add some of the marinating oil from the container of mozzarella balls too.

My fav is Stilton a strong blue veined cheese eaten on digestive biscuits.

Stilton Pie.

Blind bake your pastry in a flan ring.
Slowly caramelise thin sliced onions in a pan then turn down the heat and crumble in lots of Stilton, work into a stiff paste and spread on the base of your pie crust.

Mix egg yolks with double cream and a lot of ground black pepper, pour on top of paste and bake till golden.

Sorry to see Manchego has not received honorable mention here. Not all Manchego seems to be good (just like the Bel Paese here in the states does not hold a candle to the same that was available in Italy). We like to munch on Manchego accompanied by a tart quince preserve.

I love Manchego justplainbill. I just had a rosemary crusted Manchego this past weekend that was amazing.

Back
Top Bottom