Favorite cheeses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to see Manchego has not received honorable mention here. Not all Manchego seems to be good (just like the Bel Paese here in the states does not hold a candle to the same that was available in Italy). We like to munch on Manchego accompanied by a tart quince preserve.
Manchego and membrillo with olive bread and a glass of Rioja alta. Manchego for me should be two yrs old, it then makes your teeth itch when you eat it.

You have good taste Bill

I have to admit to being a Cheese Snob, I look down on anyone who does not like cheese!;)

Last edited:
mmmm, the sage is a great idea. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Cotija. Know any major stores that sell it? or should I just check around?

Both major chain grocers in my area (Lucky-Safeway)have a small Mexican cheese selection off by itself.
There is also a Cotija rubbed with chili powder called enchilado that I like alot.

My fav is Stilton a strong blue veined cheese eaten on digestive biscuits.

Stilton Pie.

Blind bake your pastry in a flan ring.
Slowly caramelise thin sliced onions in a pan then turn down the heat and crumble in lots of Stilton, work into a stiff paste and spread on the base of your pie crust.

Mix egg yolks with double cream and a lot of ground black pepper, pour on top of paste and bake till golden.

My husband can't stand and blue veined cheese (it's a mental thing) but I love it. I may just have to try this recipe while my parents are in town so my dad can share it with me. Do you use just a basic pie crust?

My husband can't stand and blue veined cheese (it's a mental thing) but I love it. I may just have to try this recipe while my parents are in town so my dad can share it with me. Do you use just a basic pie crust?
you can use a basic pie crust, I would use Pate Brisee, using either it will be delish.

do you get cheese made from raw or un-pasturised milk in North America
Yes. It is available. Most of it comes from the province of Quebec. The laws are a bit funny right now. You can't buy raw milk, but you can buy cheese made with it. You can drink raw milk from your own cows, but you can't sell it. There are some co-operative farms that allow you to have a shared ownership of a cow and you can take the milk home for your own consumption. Meanwhile, Canada does permit the sale of raw milk cheeses that are aged over 60 days. In 2009, the province of Quebec modified regulations to allow raw milk cheeses aged less than 60 days provided stringent safeguards are met. Canadian Health and Safety laws can be a bit loopy.

Last edited:
I have never tried it. I will keep an eye out for it. I bought a peice of Shropshire recently that I quite enjoyed...I had never tried it before and it was the firs time I have seen an orange, blue cheese before...

Shropshire blue is very good, try to find some Cheshire blue , no ploughmans lunch is complete without Lancashire Tasty or Crumbly

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom