Favorite cheeses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
What are your favorite cheeses and how do you like them?

I couldn't limit it to just one!

I love Grana Padano eaten plain with a little apricot wine.

I love Gorganzola stuffed into poached pears then rolled in nuts.

Who could say no to gruyere in a Fondue pot with your friends to help eat.

A hot pepper or habenero jack cheese does it for me too.

Not sure I could pick just one either! A real treat for me is Havarti on my deli sandwiches. I'm afraid if I start buying gourmet cheeses my wine intake will increase significantly :LOL: and that sounds like an expensive habit.

Not sure I could pick just one either! A real treat for me is Havarti on my deli sandwiches. I'm afraid if I start buying gourmet cheeses my wine intake will increase significantly :LOL: and that sounds like an expensive habit.

Good idea, snickerdoodle. I'll splurge on a good cheese AND a bottle of wine.

What wine would go nice with Brie? What kind of crackers?
Anyone?

My favorites are Parrano, Extra Sharp Cheddar, Parmigiano Reggiano, and Smoked Blue Cheese.

If I had to limit myself to just one cheese, Extra Sharp Cheddar is one cheese I couldn't do without.

Nice, creamy havarti, sharp cheddar, gorgonzola, parmesiano-reggiano and goat cheese are a few of my favorites, but I really love cheese in general! It all depends on what I'm eating it with. I think myzithra is an actual cheese too, but I worked at a place that used a 2:3 ratio of romano and dry ricotta and called it myzithra. It was amazing with browned butter over pasta, veggies, etc. I bought a cheddar at Costco last holiday season and all I remember was that it was labeled a Coastal Cheddar. I loved it, but didn't see it the last I checked, so if anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, let me know!
I haven't ventured much into the ripened cheeses. Any beginner-friendly favorites out there?

Nice, creamy havarti, sharp cheddar, gorgonzola, parmesiano-reggiano and goat cheese are a few of my favorites, but I really love cheese in general! It all depends on what I'm eating it with. I think myzithra is an actual cheese too, but I worked at a place that used a 2:3 ratio of romano and dry ricotta and called it myzithra. It was amazing with browned butter over pasta, veggies, etc. I bought a cheddar at Costco last holiday season and all I remember was that it was labeled a Coastal Cheddar. I loved it, but didn't see it the last I checked, so if anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, let me know!
I haven't ventured much into the ripened cheeses. Any beginner-friendly favorites out there?

I like myzithra with sage and brown butter pasta too.
A good substitute is a Mexican cheese called Cotija.
It is a sharp and salty, crumbly and hard goat cheese.

I think the Coastal Cheddar was a British or Irish import.

If I had to limit myself to just one cheese, Extra Sharp Cheddar is one cheese I couldn't do without.

Have you ever had Cougar Gold from Washington State university.It can be ordered in a tin and shipped anywhere.I had some good friends who went to college there and mailed me some.Great Stuff!

Have you ever had Cougar Gold from Washington State university.It can be ordered in a tin and shipped anywhere.I had some good friends who went to college there and mailed me some.Great Stuff!

I'm always willing to try something new, especially cheese! ;)

Good idea, snickerdoodle. I'll splurge on a good cheese AND a bottle of wine.

What wine would go nice with Brie? What kind of crackers?
Anyone?

I have a jar of pumpkin butter that I am going to put on some baked brie and serve with some water crackers.
I would enjoy a port or maybe a gewurztraminer with it.

I like plain crackers with brie usully.If I wasn't using the sweet topping I would like a champagne.I like my brie heated a little or baked in puff pastry.

I like my brie heated a little or baked in puff pastry.

I'm planning on taking brie baked in puff pastry to one of our holiday gatherings. I've never had it that way but I'm really looking forward to it and I love how well it presents... in the pictures anyway :LOL: We'll see how it goes in my kitchen.

I'm planning on taking brie baked in puff pastry to one of our holiday gatherings. I've never had it that way but I'm really looking forward to it and I love how well it presents... in the pictures anyway :LOL: We'll see how it goes in my kitchen.

If at all possible I would assembly it beforehand but bake it there.Are you topping the brie with anything?
You can use just about anything!

Nice creamy gorgonzola stuffed in to figs and then drizzled with lavender honey,
kades

I like myzithra with sage and brown butter pasta too.
A good substitute is a Mexican cheese called Cotija.
It is a sharp and salty, crumbly and hard goat cheese.

I think the Coastal Cheddar was a British or Irish import.
Ii love Myzthrha and parm on pasta with butter wonderful
kades

If at all possible I would assembly it beforehand but bake it there.Are you topping the brie with anything?
You can use just about anything!

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't considered a topping but now you have me thinking. A fruit sauce or compote of sorts maybe?

Ya know the problem with DC is it's a lot like watching Food Network. I always end up hungry. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom