‘Favorite cheeses’

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chicago56

Assistant Cook
‘I am addicted to really smelly cheeses! My favourites are Pont l’Eveque, Munster and Roquefort. Anybody else got any cheeses that they can’t get enough of that they wanna share?’

I by feta cheese from the Deli guy so often, that when April came around, He wished me a Happy Greek Easter, assuming I was Greek :) Im known in that store as the Feta Cheese guy. Im married 24 years, Ive been called worse :)

I love the three Italian cheeses. Asiago, Parm, and Romano. After that is would be a good cheddar, even smoked cheddar. That's about it for me. I don't like the cheese to be so strong that it covers up the main flavor of the dish.

But my biggest cheese sin is when I first buy a piece of any of the Italian cheeses, I always have to have a small chunk. And feeling that the first chunk may have been exposed to air to long, I better take another taste. Funny, that tasted just like the first bite. I better try again. Maybe I will use a knife instead of just breaking off a piece. Well the knife didn't make any difference. I need to break a piece from the other end. That should have the taste I am looking for. Yea! The taste I was looking for. I need to take another one just to make sure it was not a fluke.

What happen to my piece of cheese I got at the deli? More then half is already gone. Now I am going to need an overdose of Colace. :angel:

Maytag Bleu, Cabot Extremely Sharp cheddar. Velveeta.

Last edited:
Trader Joes used to have this cheese I really liked. It was a round of stilton sandwiched by two rounds of sharp English cheddar and cut into wedges for sale.

Fontina. Iberico. Jarlsberg. Most any cheese offered by Meadow Stone Farm, a vendor who sells at a Farmers' Market we go to. Gouda, both regular and smoked. Muenster (which I do not find to be stinky). In fact, most any cheese that isn't stinky! :LOL: You are welcome to ALL of my Roquefort, but you'll have to fight off Himself to get to it!

My favorite blue is Papillon Black Label roquefort, but I don't think I have tried a blue I haven't liked. Gruyere ranks up there. Double and triple cremes are great on a cheese plate. Parm, asagio, peccorino, mozzarella, burata, ricotta and ricotta salata from the boot! Too many others from various countries to list!:ohmy:

Balderson 5-year aged cheddar, Beemster aged gouda,extra-sharp Pinconning, a good colby, aged Swiss, a really good, creamy cottage cheese, Muenster, Asiago, Parmigiano Reggiano, Romano, Havarti, Yancy's Fancy cheddar, Velveeta, Mozzarella, not necessarily in that order.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Smoked gouda, Havarti, muenster, sharp cheddar, pepper jack.

I also always have either Parmigiano Reggiano or Romano in the fridge.

I love others such as bleu, fresh mozzarella, swiss, and mild goat cheese, but the above are what I have on hand most often. Now I'm craving a good cheese. :)

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Brie...one of my very favorites. Speaking of stinky cheese, I love Limburger in a jar (keeps the stinky in). My favorites for sliced sandwich cheeses are Havarti and Swiss. Trader Joe's has a yogurt cheese that is excellent. I won't eat goat cheese at all.

Last edited:
I love all kinds of cheeses. I bought a triple brie-like cheese, made in Quebec recently. It had maple syrup in the middle. It was delish. I also like local smoked blue cheese and local smoked gouda. I get to try lots of artisan cheeses from Quebec and Ontario cheese makers, including sheep's milk cheeses.

I also picked up a Quebec goat cheese that was firmer than the soft stuff at the grocery store, but not as firm as feta and not as salty, It crumbled nicely. I just ate it like that, no crackers. It was $23/kg. It was really nice--not too salty, not too soft. I only got to have that because we had extra left over in the kitchen (a 1-kg log) and weren't going to use it, so we all got a chunk of it. Pricey, but delish.

We have access to a lot of very good cheeses in this area from Quebec. Oka is one of my favorites--both the firm and soft varieties. And, the artisan cheeses are lovely.

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Brie...one of my very favorites. Speaking of stinky cheese, I love Limburger in a jar (keeps the stinky in). My favorites for sliced sandwich cheeses are Havarti and Swiss. Trader Joe's has a yogurt cheese that is excellent. I won't eat goat cheese at all.
It is super easy to make yogurt cheese. Just buy a whole milk yogurt, strain it overnight, and you have yogurt cheese.

I thought I did with the double and triple creme?:)

Parmigiano Reggiano, extra sharp cheddar and my own, home made Farmer's Cheese.

I love so many different kinds of cheese. My favourites are probably Camembert and double or triple cream Brie. Cambozola is pretty darn good too. Oh, and stinky Danish cheeses that I have only seen in Denmark.

Back
Top Bottom