"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I just bought a box of Stouffer's white cheddar mac and cheese. Haven't tried it yet.

I remember Golden Grain mac and cheese. All you added to that was water and it was delicious.

Did you know lobster was once so plentiful on the East Coast it was referred to as "poor man's food"?

Yes..bottom feeders..some people still won't touch it because they think it is dirty..I like the tails, and claws..the other stuff is not worth it IMHO, also it isn't readily available around here..freezer burnt tails and whole cooked..not my bag, man..

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #22
Executive Chef

I make an "odds and ends of cheese from the freezer" MAC, but the cheeses are different every time. I just taste the cheese sauce as I go along until I get something that tastes good. I always have some cheddar and mozzarella in the mix though.

Mac and cheese My Way, which is a recipe from Jan Birnbaum uses fontina, extra-sharp cheddar and a little parm, plus tasso and shrimp and spinach. Yummy.

Kasespaetzle uses gruyere and emmental, plus speck (or bacon) and caramelized onions.

Crawfish mac and cheese uses gruyere and fontina, plus a little truffle oil or butter (and I make my own out of end pieces of truffles when we get them).

medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post

Mac and cheese My Way, which is a recipe from Jan Birnbaum uses fontina, extra-sharp cheddar and a little parm, plus tasso and shrimp and spinach. Yummy.

I made this recipe when you mentioned it some time ago and it was the BEST mac and cheese I've ever eaten! I used bacon, and here's the recipe I followed exactly. I really must do it again soon.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1915974

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #24
Head Chef

I have tried brie, goat cheese, kraft cheese and ton more and it doesnt taste good any way.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I made this recipe when you mentioned it some time ago and it was the BEST mac and cheese I've ever eaten! I used bacon, and here's the recipe I followed exactly. I really must do it again soon.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1915974
KEWL!
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I make an "odds and ends of cheese from the freezer" MAC, but the cheeses are different every time...
This is my general approach. I make mac-and-cheese when I need to clean up bits of cheese. Sometimes it's what's for dinner (along with a salad), sometimes it's a side dish for something like ham. Rarely do I first plan on making mac and cheese and then go out to buy cheese for it. I do try, however, to have smoked Gouda on hand for it, since some of it in the mix gives the dish that special touch.

If I feel like taking the time, I'll saute up some chopped sweet onion in the butter before I continue making the sauce. Otherwise it's just some pasta shape, and cheese. Rather than elbow macaroni, I prefer farfalle, radiatore, or campanelle pastas. All of those nooks and crannies with sauce clinging to them...
Old 10-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #27
Executive Chef

I don't often eat mac and cheese.. I like it with just mac and cheeses.. No other stuff in it..

If it sounds good in a restaurant, I will ask whats in it.. If just mac and cheeses, I will order it and, usually like it..

Ross
Old 10-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Mac and cheese is all about the cheese. every palate differs in the level of sharpness for the cheese. Some use extra sharp cheddar, bleu cheese, etc. for that sharp bite. I am not a fan.

I use a reasonably sharp cheddar. I often add bacon, Tabasco and other seasonings.

Its all about the cheese, for sure.

I often use maninly a mixture of gruyere and Prairie Breeze cheddar -- the same mixture I use for gougeres.

For mac and cheese, I might also add in some cheese scraps and a little Velveeta because it smooths out the sauce without adding any taste.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
...a little Velveeta because it smooths out the sauce without adding any taste.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:42 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I have vegan friends so I often buy "cow-free" cheese when they are visiting. Can't say I'm very taken with it myself. Will try mac 'n' vegan cheese, though, in anticipation of their next visit. Do you use the same melting technique with the vegan stuff as with ordinary cheddar, etc?

And which "non-cow" milk do you prefer for the sauce (please don't say soya milk.
I don't like it.)
I am not a fan of most ready made vegan cheeses but I like this recipe Dairy Free Sweet Potato Mac and “Cheese”

Tags
cheese