Favorite Cheeses for Mac'n'cheese..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just bought a box of Stouffer's white cheddar mac and cheese. Haven't tried it yet.

I remember Golden Grain mac and cheese. All you added to that was water and it was delicious.

Did you know lobster was once so plentiful on the East Coast it was referred to as "poor man's food"?

Yes..bottom feeders..some people still won't touch it because they think it is dirty..I like the tails, and claws..the other stuff is not worth it IMHO, also it isn't readily available around here..freezer burnt tails and whole cooked..not my bag, man..

I make an "odds and ends of cheese from the freezer" MAC, but the cheeses are different every time. I just taste the cheese sauce as I go along until I get something that tastes good. I always have some cheddar and mozzarella in the mix though.

Mac and cheese My Way, which is a recipe from Jan Birnbaum uses fontina, extra-sharp cheddar and a little parm, plus tasso and shrimp and spinach. Yummy.

Kasespaetzle uses gruyere and emmental, plus speck (or bacon) and caramelized onions.

Crawfish mac and cheese uses gruyere and fontina, plus a little truffle oil or butter (and I make my own out of end pieces of truffles when we get them).

I have tried brie, goat cheese, kraft cheese and ton more and it doesnt taste good any way.

I make an "odds and ends of cheese from the freezer" MAC, but the cheeses are different every time...
This is my general approach. I make mac-and-cheese when I need to clean up bits of cheese. Sometimes it's what's for dinner (along with a salad), sometimes it's a side dish for something like ham. Rarely do I first plan on making mac and cheese and then go out to buy cheese for it. I do try, however, to have smoked Gouda on hand for it, since some of it in the mix gives the dish that special touch. :yum:

If I feel like taking the time, I'll saute up some chopped sweet onion in the butter before I continue making the sauce. Otherwise it's just some pasta shape, and cheese. Rather than elbow macaroni, I prefer farfalle, radiatore, or campanelle pastas. All of those nooks and crannies with sauce clinging to them...

I don't often eat mac and cheese.. I like it with just mac and cheeses.. No other stuff in it..

If it sounds good in a restaurant, I will ask whats in it.. If just mac and cheeses, I will order it and, usually like it..

Ross

Mac and cheese is all about the cheese. every palate differs in the level of sharpness for the cheese. Some use extra sharp cheddar, bleu cheese, etc. for that sharp bite. I am not a fan.

I use a reasonably sharp cheddar. I often add bacon, Tabasco and other seasonings.

Its all about the cheese, for sure.

I often use maninly a mixture of gruyere and Prairie Breeze cheddar -- the same mixture I use for gougeres.

For mac and cheese, I might also add in some cheese scraps and :ohmy: a little Velveeta because it smooths out the sauce without adding any taste.

I have vegan friends so I often buy "cow-free" cheese when they are visiting. Can't say I'm very taken with it myself. Will try mac 'n' vegan cheese, though, in anticipation of their next visit. Do you use the same melting technique with the vegan stuff as with ordinary cheddar, etc?

And which "non-cow" milk do you prefer for the sauce (please don't say soya milk.
I don't like it.)

I am not a fan of most ready made vegan cheeses but I like this recipe Dairy Free Sweet Potato Mac and “Cheese”

I love mac n cheese! I prefer it creamy with a tangy punch... so usually cheddars, a little Parmesan along with a little mustard added along with the cheese. Adding sundried tomatoes and artichoke hearts to the bake makes it just about perfect. The perfect version include a cornflake crumble on the top browned just before serving.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom