"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
Master Chef

Favorite Cheeses for Mac'n'cheese..

Mac and cheese is a personal thing..like a pizza, or a burger, everybody likes it their way..what is the cheese or the cheeses you like in your mac? And, other ingredients? Bacon? Ham? Lobster?..

I'm a traditionalist so I'd go with cheddar, onions, bacon..if I had to pick..I have made it a zillion ways over the years but that's the classic one for me.
How about you?

Rocklobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
Master Chef

For run-of-the-mill, everyday mac'n cheese I usually put in chopped cooked bacon and fried onions, mushrooms saute'd in butter, frozen peas, the odd left-over cooked sausage skinned and cut into chunks - in fact, whatever I might have in the 'fridge (but not necessarily all at once!). I like a layer of sliced tomatoes on top under a scattering of cheese-y breadcrumbs.

I'm not absolutely convinced of the place of lobster in mac'n cheese.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post

I'm not absolutely convinced of the place of lobster in mac'n cheese.
Yeah..I think they are just trying to elevate it's lowly stature by adding a luxurious ingredient like lobster..Now that it's been played to death with all of the hipster trends, we can go back to having good 'ol mac and cheese..
Old 10-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
Master Chef

Now you've done it, Rock Lobster! I was just going to have a sandwich for "dinner" tonight but now I've got to go and make myself some mac'n'cheese!

S'all your fault....

Old 10-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Mac and cheese is all about the cheese. every palate differs in the level of sharpness for the cheese. Some use extra sharp cheddar, bleu cheese, etc. for that sharp bite. I am not a fan.

I use a reasonably sharp cheddar. I often add bacon, Tabasco and other seasonings.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Now you've done it, Rock Lobster! I was just going to have a sandwich for "dinner" tonight but now I've got to go and make myself some mac'n'cheese!

S'all your fault....

Yeah..I did it on poipus...enjoy!
Old 10-07-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not a huge fan of Mac N Cheese, but when I do make it, I add a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and some diced ham with a golden baked buttered panko topping.
Now that's good.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Mac N Cheese, but when I do make it, I add a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and some diced ham with a golden baked buttered panko topping.
Now that's good.
I only make it at home a couple times a year..I make it every week for our freezer section at the deli..there I only use a cheddar cheese sauce..keep it simple for the general public..I make it runny so by the time it is frozen and reheated, it is still moist and gooey..
Old 10-07-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Rocklobster--good tip on making it more runny so it is more moist later.

I use whatever cheese I have in the fridge, so usually around 4 kinds, parm, motz, cheddar, some kind of swiss.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #10
Master Chef

I guess I'm about the only one who doesn't add anything to mac and cheese, other than maybe a bread crumb topping run toasted under the broiler at the last minute. Like others have said, I only make it maybe once or twice a year. It's usually a side to sliced ham and broccoli.

My fave cheese combo is a combination of smoked gouda, cheddar, and Monterey jack. I tried that combo quite by accident several years ago and have stuck to it ever since. The smoked gouda is wonderful with mac and cheese, as long as it's only about a third or so of the cheese combo so it doesn't overpower. Delicious!

Now I am craving mac and cheese.

Tags
cheese