"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 03-13-2005, 11:01 PM   #11
Master Chef
These threads are so unfair. I couldn't possibly pick a favorite. I loved so many things. I've been this way all of my life. I guess unique faves were things like a hunk of good colby cheese and a stick of pepperoni to munch on while watching TV when it was too late or dark to be outside. Another favorite was liverwurst on toast with Miracle Whip, Iceburgh lettuce, and tomato slices. Potted Meat mixed with Miracle Whip and sweet pickle relish is still munched in my house, as are canned sardines. And freshly caught, cleaned, and pan-fried brook trout, well I'd pay good money for that meal even today, and I'm not talking about that whimpy white-fleshed variety sold in the stores, but the rich flavored orange-fleshed trout caught in Lake Superior and the streams feeding it. Yum. But then again, a cold hot dog made a great snack as well. And then there were the occasional ice cream sandwiches, Caramello bars, Slim Jim's sausages, mini apple pies, chili, spaghetti, pancakes with real maple syrup (one of my real favorites I think), waffles (a rare treat), poached eggs cooked in a poaching pan, good breakfast sausage, Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings, Van Camp's pork & beans with hot dogs cooked whole in with the beans, baked beans, ...

This list could go on forever. I just wouldn't know where to stop.

Seeeeeya: Goodweed of the North.

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:00 AM   #12
Master Chef
I'm with Goodweed. Even as a child I loved trying new foods. But oddball childhood faves were -- as others have mentioned, elbow macaroni, with a can of tomatoes tossed on and lots of butter and cheese. When sick, Lipton's noodle soup (still what I want when I'm sick). Grilled cheese sandwiches. These things spelled comfort food.

But my sisters and I all had favorite "special occaision" foods that we would request for our birthdays. Mine was Suki Yaki. Once sister's fave was meat fondue, and another's was steak and shrimp (needless to say, we were more likely to get our food wish than the steak and shrimp sister was, but hey, can't blame a girl for trying). My baby sis was only 5 when I left home, so I don't know what her choice was, but she eats and loves everything, too.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:35 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Mom's bread pudding instead of cake on my birthday.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:14 AM   #14
Senior Cook
Childhood food

tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:27 AM   #15
It is still my favorite! Chocolate.....yum!! As I was growing up, my favorite dessert was devils food cake with fluffy white frosting.
irishtravel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #16
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to MochaBean04
I am now beginning to love Chicken Salad with Grapes in it. I thought it sounded weird when i was at my friends house it brought a sweetness in to the dish. along with that was walnuts, celery, onion, mustard, sourcream, mayo and of course the chicken. Very good Chicken Salad. :)
MochaBean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:11 PM   #17
Head Chef
Ok...*feeling really stupid* what on earth does &amp mean????

I used to steal whole sticks of butter from the dinner table and eat them on the sly - yet I hated milk.

Canned Asparagas...every last one then drink the liquid.

In the summer Dad used to get the best salami and slice it so thin you could almost see through it - I'd pick out the pepper of course (and I'm still a wuss about pepper) and he'd get fresh watermelon and it would be a feast!
Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:03 PM   #18
Assistant Cook
Love spaghetti...any shape or form...love spaghetti!!
Oh, yes..forgot...
drained sauerkraut juice
cold asparagus from the can ( I could forgo the liquid)

These "tastes" still remain many years later !!
Lyn 221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
My dad used to make the best peanut butter milkshakes. I could use one of those right now . My grandmother made the best stuffed cabbage in the world! I have so many favorites... it'd be impossible to pick just one.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:26 PM   #20
Send a message via ICQ to Magia Send a message via MSN to Magia
Mine was winners and mashed potatoes. Or meat balls with mashed potatoes & gravy

Magia is offline   Reply With Quote