"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-20-2005, 11:36 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

my mom's : norwegian pancakes, waffles with maple syrup, chicken parm, pot roast, labscaus, ham sandwiches, roast chicken legs, devilled eggs, hmmm, i'm sure i can remember more if i tried...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:04 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Great question, a real head scratcher, I came from a family of awesome cooks so it’s had to peg a favourite food…

My mom’s turkey pot pie would rank high, as would my grand-dad’s tradition beef stroganoff, and my grandma’s raspberry trifle…

Ohhh thinking about this is making my mouth water…awwww for the simpler days of childhood

Happy cooking to all!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:34 PM   #23
Master Chef

i loved pac-man pancakes (cut a hole out towards the edge for an eye using the syrup cap and a triangle out for the mouth) and mickey mouse ones (two dabs of batter and a big circle for mickey's face) with apple and cinnamon in them.
grilled cheeses were a favorite, as were deviled eggs, cheese, and Kaboom cereal. i loved that cereal.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:51 PM   #24
Head Chef

Ooohhhj I forgot Popeyed eggs! I loved those! You butter bread, tear a yolk sized hole out of the center crack an egg into it, fry it up and serve it like french toast!
Old 03-21-2005, 05:34 PM   #25
Master Chef

I know I already posted once, but who can forget hot bread, fresh from the oven after a day of playing outside in the snow. And then, there's pigs-in-the blaket, made with white bread dough wrapped around a full-sized hot dog. I make those for my crew when I'm feeling ambitious. They are a truly loved item. Add to the list a great chili, served up with soda crackers or softened corn tortillas. Fried ice cream, butter pecan ice cream, maplenut ice cream, etc. Cheesecake is tops on the list, especially topped with sweetened sour cream.

And I've been an absolute devotee of baked beans, with just a hint of chili powder in them, bread turkey stuffing with chopped giblets and livers, ripe plumbs, shrimp, and oh so much more. I love KFC original flavor, but wish they could make it less greasy. I have recipes that come close, but aren't exactly the same. I have the perfect technique for great coated chicken, but not the spice mixture to season the flour with.

Then, there's the carne asada buritoes found only in Southern California (El Cajon), and at my home in the summer. I love cantaloupe. I have always loved cantaloupe. I will always love cantaloupe. It's better than watermellon, at least to me.

Favorite drink? That's easy. For me, it's whole milk.

Favorite desert, a well filled apple pie, especially the way my daughter makes it. It should be outlawed it's so good. I've got to get home. I'm getting rather hungry.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:48 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Welsh Rabbit! I haven't had that since I was about twelve years old. I'll probably never make it because I know I can't make it as good as Mom did!
Old 03-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #27
Head Chef

I was an extremely picky eater as a kid. But here are a few things I did like.

-Cheese burger with mayo only.
-Spaghetti O's
-Pigs in a blanket made with crouissants and cheese
-White bread with cheese, pour ketchup and then layer cooked bacon on top. Put under broiler.
-Scrambled eggs on white bread with mayo
-cream of wheat with milk, butter, and sugar
-cinnamon toast
-and of course the candy necklase
Old 03-21-2005, 10:24 PM   #28
Sous Chef

That's a difficult question. If mom was the cook it would be her spaghetti sauce, but her mother was an awesome cook. I haven't had a really good crabcake in 15 years and her fried chicken was fantastic. Mom makes good fried chicken but no as good as "Gran's". My fried chicken isn't as good as my mom's. If the trend continues, my daughter doesn't have a prayer.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:01 PM   #29
Master Chef

My mom's made from scratch buttermilk pancakes. She used to make them every Sunday morning.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:31 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
I see several of my favorites already listed and it's brought back many memories. One that was not listed yet that I loved a lot was creamed chipped beef on toast, and beef goulash. Saturday mornings while she was making breakfast, she would give us each a bowl with a sectioned orange, what a treat! We would watch t.v. while waiting for breakfast. And my Mom always made the perfect snow ice cream.