Favorite Childhood food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katie E said:
OMIGOSH! I don't give half a rat's behind what the shelflife of a Twinkie is.......I want one!!!!! Where do I sign? Where's the line?

Twinkies don't have a shelf life. They have a half-life!

you're asking us? :)

they are 2 of our well defined foodie categories: sugar, starch, fat, grease, and alcohol.

to heck with a pyramid. (egyptians are too skinny anyway.)

We always had macaroni and canned tomatoes which
we crushed with our fingers, a little butter mixed in
for the sauce. Still have that every once in a while....

When I was around 12 or so,
I used to love to make a couple of bologna sandwiches
with plenty of yellow mustard, take them to the couch and
read a book while eating them. Slowly. In precise order.
First the crusts. Then carefully the sandwich was squared,
and little nibbles were taken from each edge of the sandwich
square till that last great bite was left!

There is a certain bologna-mustard ratio taste that will bring the
childhood bologna sandwich memory right back.

Great books too.. Hardy Boys, Trixie Belden, Combat!, Three
Investigators, Tom Swift, All About....., and the classics of
Sci Fi!
And the couch had arms that were perfectly wide enough for the book
and a sandwich. I loved lunch! :)

I always used to love sucking milk through a tim tam. Biting off the opposite corners perfectly so that not biscuit fell into the milk in the process was the best bit.

Cheez balls!

Cheese.jpg

I used to love those things. You could pack several in your mouth and then suck on them and they disintegrated into cheesy (pseudo-cheesy) goodness. I’m gonna have to find a can of those soon.......

Anthea said:
I always used to love sucking milk through a tim tam. Biting off the opposite corners perfectly so that not biscuit fell into the milk in the process was the best bit.

Aha! So I wasn't the only one to find creative ways to eat my food. But my sandwiches were eaten into perfect circles, by nibbles of course.

Thou I still hold that potted meat sandwiches, Libby's pork and beans, Volwurth's Hot Dogs, and of course pancakes were equally favored in my youth, a recent event brought back my all-time favorite kid meals.

My Dad and I would walk a treacherous and difficult trout stream all day. At the end of it, we were very hot, itching with mosquito bites, and worn out. I'm telling you, if you've never navigated the side of a trout stream in upper Peninsula Michigan, then you haven't walked a rough trail. Anyways, we'd wash our hands in the stream to get as much nightcrawler and fish slime from our hands as we could. Then we'd break out the sandwiches. Mine was always liverwurst with lettuce and miracle whip, and sometimes sliced tomato. the sandwiches were kept cool while we were fishing by placing them in water-tight plastic bags, and then into a net. The net was lowered into the icy stream and tied off, waiting for us when we got back to our starting point. And then, to make the day perfect, we'd stop at this place that had hard-scoop ice cream. The cost was 5 cents per scoop. my dad always got butter pecan. I'd change up between maplenut and strawberry chunk.

You can guess what we'd have for supper, all the brookies you could eat, and my dad could fry brookies and pan-sized rainbows to perfection.

Wow! That's a good memory.

Not even bacon in the morning while camping tops that for me.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom