Favorite Childhood food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MochaBean04

Senior Cook
What was your favorite food as a child, or now that is the weirdest combonation?

Mine was and still is fried small shells with ketchup. :)

applesauce mixed with macaroni and cheese.
ketchup on scrambled eggs. i'm sure there
steak... still to this day lol.
there was more i'm sure just can't remember
them all right now.

Mine was PB&J--it's one of the few things I was willing to eat for several years. It's amazing what a foodie I've become considering how picky I used to be!

Broccoli...My parents took it away from me as punishment once for hitting my brother & cried like they had just taken away my favorite toy! :oops: I also loved mac & tomatoes, just bouil the noodles, drain them & mix a can of crushed tomatoes with them. Both of these are still favorites of mine today.

mac and tomatoes are really good too crewsk. i have to agree.
or boil elbow macaroni in chicken broth and eat it like soup. that's
pretty good too.

Pancakes.

Could not get enough of them, with butter and syrup.

I believe it was the first thing I ever cooked and would do so regularly (used a mix though, had no idea one could make them without it).

Then I discovered French fries.

My mom was a saint, she let us try almost anything.

My granny's oatcakes. (scottish oatcakes are savoury, not sweet!) Straight off the girdle (sort of a circular, flat griddle pan) and lashings of butter which melted down your chin - and topped with a piece of Isle of Mull cheddar cheese.

I now own my granny's cooking girdle - and still love to make oatcakes!8)

French Toast. Especially Grandma's (She used real butter on the pan, and it always made it taste that much better). I wasn't picky though, I pretty much was satisfied no matter who made it.

John

These threads are so unfair. I couldn't possibly pick a favorite. I loved so many things. I've been this way all of my life. I guess unique faves were things like a hunk of good colby cheese and a stick of pepperoni to munch on while watching TV when it was too late or dark to be outside. Another favorite was liverwurst on toast with Miracle Whip, Iceburgh lettuce, and tomato slices. Potted Meat mixed with Miracle Whip and sweet pickle relish is still munched in my house, as are canned sardines. And freshly caught, cleaned, and pan-fried brook trout, well I'd pay good money for that meal even today, and I'm not talking about that whimpy white-fleshed variety sold in the stores, but the rich flavored orange-fleshed trout caught in Lake Superior and the streams feeding it. Yum. But then again, a cold hot dog made a great snack as well. And then there were the occasional ice cream sandwiches, Caramello bars, Slim Jim's sausages, mini apple pies, chili, spaghetti, pancakes with real maple syrup (one of my real favorites I think), waffles (a rare treat), poached eggs cooked in a poaching pan, good breakfast sausage, Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings, Van Camp's pork & beans with hot dogs cooked whole in with the beans, baked beans, ...

This list could go on forever. I just wouldn't know where to stop.

Seeeeeya: Goodweed of the North.

Last edited:
I'm with Goodweed. Even as a child I loved trying new foods. But oddball childhood faves were -- as others have mentioned, elbow macaroni, with a can of tomatoes tossed on and lots of butter and cheese. When sick, Lipton's noodle soup (still what I want when I'm sick). Grilled cheese sandwiches. These things spelled comfort food.

But my sisters and I all had favorite "special occaision" foods that we would request for our birthdays. Mine was Suki Yaki. Once sister's fave was meat fondue, and another's was steak and shrimp (needless to say, we were more likely to get our food wish than the steak and shrimp sister was, but hey, can't blame a girl for trying). My baby sis was only 5 when I left home, so I don't know what her choice was, but she eats and loves everything, too.

I am now beginning to love Chicken Salad with Grapes in it. I thought it sounded weird when i was at my friends house it brought a sweetness in to the dish. along with that was walnuts, celery, onion, mustard, sourcream, mayo and of course the chicken. Very good Chicken Salad. :)

Ok...*feeling really stupid* what on earth does &amp mean????

I used to steal whole sticks of butter from the dinner table and eat them on the sly - yet I hated milk.

Canned Asparagas...every last one then drink the liquid.

In the summer Dad used to get the best salami and slice it so thin you could almost see through it - I'd pick out the pepper of course (and I'm still a wuss about pepper) and he'd get fresh watermelon and it would be a feast!

Love spaghetti...any shape or form...love spaghetti!!
Oh, yes..forgot...
drained sauerkraut juice
cold asparagus from the can ( I could forgo the liquid)

These "tastes" still remain many years later !!:mrgreen:

My dad used to make the best peanut butter milkshakes. I could use one of those right now :) . My grandmother made the best stuffed cabbage in the world! I have so many favorites... it'd be impossible to pick just one.

Mine was winners and mashed potatoes. Or meat balls with mashed potatoes & gravy :-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom