"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-11-2005, 12:28 PM   #11
Everymom

I think this one was from MJ. I use my own BBQ sauce, but it is a HUGE fan favourite in our house.

Crock pot ribs
2 or 3 slabs baby back ribs, cut into sections
1 Large bottle BBQ sauce
1 Large Yellow onion, sliced

Put a layer of rib s in the bottom of a large slow cooker.
Cover with onion rings.
Cover with barbecue sauce.
Continue alternating layers until the slow cooker is full.
Pour sauce generously over the top.
Cook on high for about an hour. Then turn down to low, for about 8 hours.
The ribs are very tender and juicy

Old 05-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
This one is from Kitchenelf. My family loves it!

Roller Coaster Breakfast

6 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk
2 TBS melted butter
powdered sugar
Heat oven to 450°

Butter 9 x 13 aluminum pan (only aluminum - pyrex or porcelain or clay won't work here). Once buttered put into the freezer while you mix the batter.

Break eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork. Slowly add flour and beat well. Add salt, milk and melted butter. Pour into cold pan and bake at 450° for 18 minutes; then 350° for 10 minutes.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with butter and syrup.

This is sort of a huge piece of French toast in a baking pan that looks like a roller coaster. If you don't have a glass door to watch the cooking process it will be BIG surprise when you take it out!

Old 05-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Here are 2 more my family loves & that have gotten great reviews from several of my neighbors.

This one is from SierraCook.
Glazed Lemon Pound Cake

CAKE

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 Tablespoon grated lemon peel
3 cups all purpose or unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk

GLAZE

1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter

Heat oven to 350º. Generously spray 12-cup bundt pan with Pam. In large bowl, combine 1 cup butter and 2 cups sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon peel. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and milk; beat low speed until smooth. Spoon batter into sprayed pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes. Invert cake onto serving plate.

Meanwhile, in small non-aluminum saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons butter. Heat over medium heat until butter melts, stirring occasionally. With long-tined fork or skewer, liberally prick top and sides of cake. Brush warm glaze over cake, allowing glaze to soak into cake. Cool 1½ hours or until completely cooled. 16 servings

HIGH ALTITUDE

Increase flour to 3½ cups. Bake as directed above.

This one is from mudbug.
Gooey Cornbread

1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 T butter
2 cups finelychoped yellow onion
8 oz sour cream
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
1 T granulated sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
8 oz can cream style corn
1/4 cup milk
dash of Tabasco

Place oil in 10-inch cast iron skillet and place in oven while heating to 375.

In another skillet, melt butter and soften the onions. Set aside to cool.
When cooled, add the sour cream and half of the cheese; stir to combine and set aside again.

In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, sugar, eggs, corn, milk, and hot sauce. Using hot pads, remove skillet from oven and carefully pour the hot oil into the batter. Stir to combine. Spoon batter back into skillet and smooth the top.

Spoon the sour cream mixture evenly over the top of the batter (seems to work better using an offset spatula). Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes and do the toothpick thing. Let cool slightly before cutting into wedges.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Coffee Crème Brulee (posted by PA Baker)

This is one of the best desserts EVER!

4 egg yolks
1 c sugar, divided
1 ½ c heavy cream
1 Tbsp instant coffee
½ tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300F.

In a medium sized bowl, beat egg yolks and 6 Tbsp sugar with a whisk for about 1 minute or until smooth. Reserve.

In a second medium sized bowl, add coffee and ¼ c cream. Whisk thoroughly until smooth, then add remaining cream and whisk until well blended. Add coffee cream mixture and vanilla to egg yolks. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold together.

Use a ladle to pour mixture into individual ramekins, ¾ of the way to the top.

Place ramekins into a roasting pan. Transfer to oven. Before closing oven door, pour water into pan, but not into the ramekins, until it reaches ½ way up the side of the ramekins.

Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the brulee giggles slightly when you shake the pan. Remove pan from oven and leave out on the counter, allowing the residual heat of the water to finish the cooking process.

When brulees have fully solidified and cooled down, sprinkle 1 ½ Tbsp sugar evenly over the top of each ramekin. Use a small blowtorch to caramelize the sugar, or place ramekins 1” below oven broiler until sugar caramelizes.

Ramekins can also be chilled after they have cooled down if not making immediately.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:21 PM   #15
Master Chef

The three that come to mind right away are Audeo's banana bread, marmalady's Basic Tomato Sauce and elf's Chicken Lombardi. I'm sure I'll think of more!

Basic Tomato Sauce

1 can of the best plum tomatoes you can find (recommended: Muir Glen)
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ c white wine
About 10 basil leaves, chiffonade
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil

In a skillet (not a sauce pan!), heat about 3 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, cook for a minute or so. OFF the heat, add white wine, increase the heat to medium-high, and reduce the wine to a Tbsp or so. Add the canned tomatoes, crushing them up with a spoon; add half the basil. Leave the heat on medium-high. Let the sauce simmer until it thickens, usually only about 10-15 minutes. Add rest of basil and salt and pepper to taste.

Chicken Lombardi
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
3 to 4 T. all-purpose flour
salt and pepper
3 T. butter
1 C. sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 C. dry Marsala wine
1/3 C. chicken broth
1/3 C. Fontina cheese (if you don't like Fontina use mozzarella)
1/3 C. grated parmesan
1/4 C. thinly sliced green onions

Cut each breast half at center membrane if need be. I personally leave mine whole; I like it when it takes up a lot of space on the plate. Place each piece in a gallon-size zip lock but don't zip; pound with a schnitzel pounder/flat mallet. Coat chicken lightly with salted and peppered flour.

In a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon of the butter with a few splashes of olive oil over medium heat; add half of the chicken pieces. Cook for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Repeat with another 1 tablespoon butter or margarine and the remaining chicken pieces; transfer to dish.

Melt the remaining butter or margarine in the skillet. Add the mushrooms. Brown/caramelize on medium high and stir until tender; add wine, broth and a dash each of salt and pepper. Bring to boiling; boil gently until mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup including mushrooms (about 5 minutes). Pour over chicken.

Combine the two cheeses and green onions; sprinkle over the chicken. Bake uncovered in a 375ºF. oven for 20 minutes.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #16

Lord, there are so many great recipes I got from here, I would not know where to start!
Old 05-11-2005, 02:16 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I cannot find the recipes on here but two that come to mind that I use regularly are for chicken tortilla soup (AllenMI) and another is for home-made lasagna noodles (Kitchenelf I think). I know there are many more but I can't think at the moment. Great post!
Old 05-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
This is going to take some thought. I'm with CC on this one.

One that comes to mind is GB's Greek Cucumber and Feta Salad - it's good as an appetizer in a small bowl, it's good on top of a salad and used as dressing, it's good as a pita stuffer, it's good on top of a burger.

Edited to add - I gave a friend this recipe and she served it in martini glasses with smoked shrimp on the sides of the glass.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:48 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
audeo's banana bread and your strawberry creams jkath
Old 05-11-2005, 09:27 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I cannot find the recipes on here but two that come to mind that I use regularly are for chicken tortilla soup (AllenMI) and another is for home-made lasagna noodles (Kitchenelf I think). I know there are many more but I can't think at the moment. Great post!
Thanks, amber!

Here's a link to my post:
REC Tortilla Soup recipes