"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

I now have another recipe to add to many I've picked up here. I tried this one today and I know I'll be using it often as my kids just loved it.
I tried Marmaladys chicken wings that is now posted in the chicken and turkey thread. It is fantastic, it's easy and tasty..Thanks again Marmalady

kadesma

Old 06-11-2006, 09:59 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
What a tough choice!! Here are a few that come into mind right now... they became our treasured repatoire and repeated quite a few times already!!

Constance's Fresh Apple Cake

Corazon90's French Apple Cake

Yakuta's Barfi and Fresh Coconut Chutney (posts 4 and 12)

But I am sure there are many more that is escaping my mind right now...

Old 06-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Urmanica's Italian pasta...

Quick, easy and tasty pasta idea from Rome! It is called Bucattini Amatriciana, one of the very typical pasta dishes Roma style. You can also substitute bucattini (sort of a long macaroni, or spaghetti with a hole in the middle) with regular spaghetti. It is very simple to prepare and absolutely delicious!!

for 2 people
about 50gs/2oz of bacon, crispily cooked and crumbled
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced
1/2 onion, finely chopped or minced
extra virgine olive oil
5 ripe tomatoes, diced (if prefered, peeled) or 1 tin of peeled tomatoes(mush them up in small pieces)
salt
black pepper, or if you like it spicy, red crushed pepper
160g-200g/6-7oz of dry pasta (bucattini or spaghetti)
freshly grated parmigiano, or if available, aged pecorino romano

In a skillet sautè onion and garlic in a sufficient amount of olive oil. When they are well cooked, add the crumbled bacon and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper (or red peper). Bring to boil and cook for several minutes until the flavours are well blended and some of the extra liquid is evaporated.
Meanwhile cook the pasta al dente, and drain
Toss the tomato mixture together with the pasta, serve with plenty of freshly grated cheese.
Buon Appetito!!
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:27 PM   #34
Master Chef

One of my favorite appetizers is jkath's Jack Daniel's Kielbasa. It is definitely a hit with all the men.

Jack Daniels Kielbasa

1 kielbasa (the real stuff, no turkey, no light....)

Boil in water 20 minutes to get the fat out. Dry on paper towels & cool. Cut into large-ish bite sized pieces.

In a pan, stir 3/4 cup ketchup, 3/4 cup light brown sugar & 1/2 cup Jack Daniels. Cook on low to med-low. When it's bubbly, add kielbasa. Cook, stirring about every minute or two for at least 45 minutes. (you don't want to scortch it) so it cooks down to a nice saucy consistency.

These are great appetizers. However, they are just as good if you make it the day before, keep in the fridge & then heat & serve.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:14 AM   #35
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker

Chicken Lombardi
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
3 to 4 T. all-purpose flour
salt and pepper
3 T. butter
1 C. sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 C. dry Marsala wine
1/3 C. chicken broth
1/3 C. Fontina cheese (if you don't like Fontina use mozzarella)
1/3 C. grated parmesan
1/4 C. thinly sliced green onions

Cut each breast half at center membrane if need be. I personally leave mine whole; I like it when it takes up a lot of space on the plate. Place each piece in a gallon-size zip lock but don't zip; pound with a schnitzel pounder/flat mallet. Coat chicken lightly with salted and peppered flour.

In a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon of the butter with a few splashes of olive oil over medium heat; add half of the chicken pieces. Cook for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Repeat with another 1 tablespoon butter or margarine and the remaining chicken pieces; transfer to dish.

Melt the remaining butter or margarine in the skillet. Add the mushrooms. Brown/caramelize on medium high and stir until tender; add wine, broth and a dash each of salt and pepper. Bring to boiling; boil gently until mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup including mushrooms (about 5 minutes). Pour over chicken.

Combine the two cheeses and green onions; sprinkle over the chicken. Bake uncovered in a 375F. oven for 20 minutes.
I made this tonight. It was amazingly good.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:13 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I've made this one a few times too and it's wonderfully wonderful!!

Thanks to PABAKER.

Coffee Crème Brulee

4 egg yolks
1 c sugar, divided
1 ½ c heavy cream
1 Tbsp instant coffee
½ tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300F.

In a medium sized bowl, beat egg yolks and 6 Tbsp sugar with a whisk for about 1 minute or until smooth. Reserve.

In a second medium sized bowl, add coffee and ¼ c cream. Whisk thoroughly until smooth, then add remaining cream and whisk until well blended. Add coffee cream mixture and vanilla to egg yolks. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold together.

Use a ladle to pour mixture into individual ramekins, ¾ of the way to the top.

Place ramekins into a roasting pan. Transfer to oven. Before closing oven door, pour water into pan, but not into the ramekins, until it reaches ½ way up the side of the ramekins.

Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the brulee giggles slightly when you shake the pan. Remove pan from oven and leave out on the counter, allowing the residual heat of the water to finish the cooking process.

When brulees have fully solidified and cooled down, sprinkle 1 ½ Tbsp sugar evenly over the top of each ramekin. Use a small blowtorch to caramelize the sugar, or place ramekins 1” below oven broiler until sugar caramelizes.

Ramekins can also be chilled after they have cooled down if not making immediately.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:36 AM   #37
Executive Chef

That is one I certainly plan to try soon.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

It's great licia. I'll be making it for the in-laws this weekend. : )
Old 06-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
this was my all time fave. from here at DC THANKS ZEREH

Roasted Asparagus with warm lemon dressing
1 1/2 lb asparagus,woody stems snapped off.
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper

LEMON DRESSING:
1/4 c each fresh lemon juice and minced shallots
1 tbsp whole grain mustard
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1/3 c olive oil
2 hard cooked eggs,finely chopped

heat oven to 400f.

Place asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with oilive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly, spread in one layer.Roast 14-18 minutes, depending on thickness, until tips are lightly browned.

Meanwhile, make dressing: whisk all ingredients except oil in a small bowl.Slowly whisk in oil to blend.

Arrange asparagus on a platter, drizzle with dressing and garnish with eggs.

Z
Old 06-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I made Kadesma's Mushroom Gratin last night, this certainly deserves a place in this thread!!