Favorite DC recipes of all time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Many of us have used the recipes we've received from our DC friends. What are the one or two recipes that you've tried and have gotten absolute rave reviews from?
Also, please post not only the recipe, but the original poster.

Here are the two that I cannot do without:
I made the Konditor's orange cups many times, and each time they came out perfectly.
Rainee's marinade was an immediate success, which made my family make me promise that I wouldn't make any other for our new york steaks ever again!

Baked Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups
from Konditor

5 thin-skinned oranges, halved hemispherically
3 lbs sweet potatoes, pared and cut into large chunks
1 cup white granulated sugar
5 ounces uns. butter (plus another ounce for topping)
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 ounces peeled fresh gingerroot, grated

Using grapefruit knife, remove flesh from oranges over a sieve place above a bowl; reserve the juice. Squeeze remaining juice from fruit into the bowl. Measure out ½ cup orange juice; reserve remaining juice for another use.

Cook sweet potatoes in large, covered saucepan of boiling water for 20-30 minutes, or until they are tender when pierced w/ point of knife. Drain. Return sweet pots to saucepan. Heat over med. heat & shake pan about 1 min. Mash the potatoes. Add orange juice, sugar, 5 oz. butter, and seasonings; beat until combined.

Mound sweet potatoe mixture into orange shells; sprinkle the tops evenly w. grated ginger; dot w/ remaining ounce of butter. (The filled orange cups can be made ahead, covered and refrigerated for up to 6 hours.)

Bake the cups at 350 degrees until heated through, about 25 min.

Beer marinated grilled steak
from Rainee

12 oz beer (lager style)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar (jkath used balsamic vinegar)
1/4 cup ketchup
2 T coarse ground Dijon mustard
2 T minced garlic
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1 T freshly ground pepper
1 t salt

Place steak in a resealable bag. In a bowl mix together all the marinade ingredients and pour over steak. Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.

42.gif

I'm bumping this up - I know you guys have favorites!

Cream of Celery Soup

What a great topic jkath! I am so glad you started this one. I am voting it 5 stars :)

Unfortunately I have forgotten who originally posted this (sorry whoever you are and THANK YOU) so if you recognize this as yours then please speak up!!!

Cream of Celery Soup

Ingredients:

1 head of celery
1 pound potatoes
1 large leek
5 cups chicken stock
2 ounces butter
salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Melt butter slowly in large pan. Add chopped vegetables. Mix all together thoroughly.
Cook slowly for 15 minutes then add stock and simmer for 25 minutes or until vegetables are cooked.
Cool slightly and puree in blender (I just use my immersion blender).
This soup can be frozen.

This recipe was posted by norgeskog and is one of my favorites!! :)

Spiced Turkey Burgers

SPICE MIXTURE
1 Tbs minced garlic
1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1/2 Tbs packed brown sugar
1/2 Tbs green Thai curry paste (fine in Asian section of most markets)
1/2 tsp fish sauce (again in market, can substitute soy sauce)
1 Tbs unsweetened coconut milk, I substitute milk or canned milk

BURGERS
1-1/4 Lb ground turkey
2 carrots grated (about 1 cup)
1 small onion, finely diced
1+ jalapeño, or chili of choice, veins/seeds removed and finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg beaten
2 Tbs vegetable oil, divided

In small bowl mix together the spice ingredients. In another bowl mix the burger ingredients well. Brush burgers with spice mixture, and either broil, grill or fry. Baste with spice mixture. Serve on buns with other condiments of choice.

I think this recipe is one, I always double. It's one that is always asked for as a recipe for others to make at home. Next to his chocolate chippers my grandson, adores these cookies.:) Chocolate Euphoria Cookies..

Courtesy of jkath..

12-oz.chocolate chips-divided
3-Tbsp. butter
3/4-c. sugar
1-egg
1-1/2-tsp. vanilla
1/2-c. flour
1/4-tsp. baking powder
1/2-tsp. salt
1-1/4c. walnuts....chopped
Pre-heat oven to 350
Melt 1/2 of the chocolate chips, in double boiler til smooth..Can be microwaved. In separate bowl, beat butter ,sugar,egg and vanilla til smooth. Sift together dry ingredients. Stir to mix chocolate and butter mixture. Mix into dry ingredients, then add remaining chips and nuts. Drop by tspfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 minutes..
Makes 3 doz..
These are really yummy..So make a batch, grab a glass of milk and enjoy...We do:)
Thanks again jkath:)
kadesma

This thread is a great idea. Jkath, what do you do with the orange segments ?
My favorite (one of them ) is for Seafood Minestrone. Can't remember who posted it, but it is a great hit around here.

Last edited:
lyndalou said:
This thread is a great idea. Jkath, what do you do with the orange segments ?

That's the beauty of the recipe! When I make these, I also plan to have a fruit salad, in which the orange pieces are used:chef:

and Kadesma, I need to give kudos to my friend, Darlene who originally gave me that cookie recipe for one of our yearly cookie exchange parties :)

Here is one I make all the time. Even better, my wife makes it all the time too. This is the one thing she makes that she feels confident that she does a good job.

This was originally posted by Audeo

BEST Banana Bread

2 cups AP flour
¾ cup sugar
½ cup toasted coarsely chopped walnuts
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, beaten
6 Tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup buttermilk or plain yogurt

Butter a non-stick bread pan, then flour well. (The flour is really important for the bread to “climb” against while baking. I had not done that before, and it makes a huge difference!)

Combine and mix well the following dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside:
2 cups AP flour
¾ cup sugar
½ cup toasted coarsely chopped walnuts
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt

In another medium bowl, coarsely smash 3 ripe bananas (use a large spoon or spatula and don’t puree – the banana needs to be chunky)

To the bananas, add and combine: (but try not to reduce the banana chunks)

2 large eggs, beaten
6 Tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup buttermilk or plain yogurt

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently FOLD until the flour is thoroughly moistened. Pour into the prepared bread pan and spread the mixture evenly across the top.

Bake in a preheated 350-degree (F) oven for 45-50 minutes.

Courtesy of Crewsk.

Bourbon-Pecan Alfredo
6oz. linguini, uncooked
3Tbsp. butter or margarine
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4C. Bourbon, divided
1C whipping cream
1C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2C pecan pieces, toasted
2Tbsp. chopped parsley

Cook linguini according to package directions; drain & keep warm.
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; add garlic & cook, stirring constantly, until tender.
Add 1/2C. Bourbon, & cook 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in whipping cream & cheese. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Gradually stir in remaining 1/4C. Bourbon; stir in pecans & parsley. Pour over pasta; toss. Serve immediately.

I think this one was from MJ. I use my own BBQ sauce, but it is a HUGE fan favourite in our house.

Crock pot ribs
2 or 3 slabs baby back ribs, cut into sections
1 Large bottle BBQ sauce
1 Large Yellow onion, sliced

Put a layer of rib s in the bottom of a large slow cooker.
Cover with onion rings.
Cover with barbecue sauce.
Continue alternating layers until the slow cooker is full.
Pour sauce generously over the top.
Cook on high for about an hour. Then turn down to low, for about 8 hours.
The ribs are very tender and juicy

This one is from Kitchenelf. My family loves it!

Roller Coaster Breakfast

6 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk
2 TBS melted butter
powdered sugar
Heat oven to 450°

Butter 9 x 13 aluminum pan (only aluminum - pyrex or porcelain or clay won't work here). Once buttered put into the freezer while you mix the batter.

Break eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork. Slowly add flour and beat well. Add salt, milk and melted butter. Pour into cold pan and bake at 450° for 18 minutes; then 350° for 10 minutes.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with butter and syrup.

This is sort of a huge piece of French toast in a baking pan that looks like a roller coaster. If you don't have a glass door to watch the cooking process it will be BIG surprise when you take it out!

Here are 2 more my family loves & that have gotten great reviews from several of my neighbors.

This one is from SierraCook.
Glazed Lemon Pound Cake

CAKE

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 Tablespoon grated lemon peel
3 cups all purpose or unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk

GLAZE

1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter

Heat oven to 350º. Generously spray 12-cup bundt pan with Pam. In large bowl, combine 1 cup butter and 2 cups sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon peel. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and milk; beat low speed until smooth. Spoon batter into sprayed pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes. Invert cake onto serving plate.

Meanwhile, in small non-aluminum saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons butter. Heat over medium heat until butter melts, stirring occasionally. With long-tined fork or skewer, liberally prick top and sides of cake. Brush warm glaze over cake, allowing glaze to soak into cake. Cool 1½ hours or until completely cooled. 16 servings

HIGH ALTITUDE

Increase flour to 3½ cups. Bake as directed above.

This one is from mudbug.
Gooey Cornbread

1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 T butter
2 cups finelychoped yellow onion
8 oz sour cream
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
1 T granulated sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
8 oz can cream style corn
1/4 cup milk
dash of Tabasco

Place oil in 10-inch cast iron skillet and place in oven while heating to 375.

In another skillet, melt butter and soften the onions. Set aside to cool.
When cooled, add the sour cream and half of the cheese; stir to combine and set aside again.

In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, sugar, eggs, corn, milk, and hot sauce. Using hot pads, remove skillet from oven and carefully pour the hot oil into the batter. Stir to combine. Spoon batter back into skillet and smooth the top.

Spoon the sour cream mixture evenly over the top of the batter (seems to work better using an offset spatula). Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes and do the toothpick thing. Let cool slightly before cutting into wedges.

Coffee Crème Brulee (posted by PA Baker)

This is one of the best desserts EVER!

4 egg yolks
1 c sugar, divided
1 ½ c heavy cream
1 Tbsp instant coffee
½ tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300F.

In a medium sized bowl, beat egg yolks and 6 Tbsp sugar with a whisk for about 1 minute or until smooth. Reserve.

In a second medium sized bowl, add coffee and ¼ c cream. Whisk thoroughly until smooth, then add remaining cream and whisk until well blended. Add coffee cream mixture and vanilla to egg yolks. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold together.

Use a ladle to pour mixture into individual ramekins, ¾ of the way to the top.

Place ramekins into a roasting pan. Transfer to oven. Before closing oven door, pour water into pan, but not into the ramekins, until it reaches ½ way up the side of the ramekins.

Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the brulee giggles slightly when you shake the pan. Remove pan from oven and leave out on the counter, allowing the residual heat of the water to finish the cooking process.

When brulees have fully solidified and cooled down, sprinkle 1 ½ Tbsp sugar evenly over the top of each ramekin. Use a small blowtorch to caramelize the sugar, or place ramekins 1” below oven broiler until sugar caramelizes.

Ramekins can also be chilled after they have cooled down if not making immediately.

The three that come to mind right away are Audeo's banana bread, marmalady's Basic Tomato Sauce and elf's Chicken Lombardi. I'm sure I'll think of more!

Basic Tomato Sauce

1 can of the best plum tomatoes you can find (recommended: Muir Glen)
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ c white wine
About 10 basil leaves, chiffonade
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil

In a skillet (not a sauce pan!), heat about 3 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, cook for a minute or so. OFF the heat, add white wine, increase the heat to medium-high, and reduce the wine to a Tbsp or so. Add the canned tomatoes, crushing them up with a spoon; add half the basil. Leave the heat on medium-high. Let the sauce simmer until it thickens, usually only about 10-15 minutes. Add rest of basil and salt and pepper to taste.

Chicken Lombardi
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
3 to 4 T. all-purpose flour
salt and pepper
3 T. butter
1 C. sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 C. dry Marsala wine
1/3 C. chicken broth
1/3 C. Fontina cheese (if you don't like Fontina use mozzarella)
1/3 C. grated parmesan
1/4 C. thinly sliced green onions

Cut each breast half at center membrane if need be. I personally leave mine whole; I like it when it takes up a lot of space on the plate. Place each piece in a gallon-size zip lock but don't zip; pound with a schnitzel pounder/flat mallet. Coat chicken lightly with salted and peppered flour.

In a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon of the butter with a few splashes of olive oil over medium heat; add half of the chicken pieces. Cook for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Repeat with another 1 tablespoon butter or margarine and the remaining chicken pieces; transfer to dish.

Melt the remaining butter or margarine in the skillet. Add the mushrooms. Brown/caramelize on medium high and stir until tender; add wine, broth and a dash each of salt and pepper. Bring to boiling; boil gently until mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup including mushrooms (about 5 minutes). Pour over chicken.

Combine the two cheeses and green onions; sprinkle over the chicken. Bake uncovered in a 375ºF. oven for 20 minutes.

Lord, there are so many great recipes I got from here, I would not know where to start!

I cannot find the recipes on here but two that come to mind that I use regularly are for chicken tortilla soup (AllenMI) and another is for home-made lasagna noodles (Kitchenelf I think). I know there are many more but I can't think at the moment. Great post!

This is going to take some thought. I'm with CC on this one.

One that comes to mind is GB's Greek Cucumber and Feta Salad - it's good as an appetizer in a small bowl, it's good on top of a salad and used as dressing, it's good as a pita stuffer, it's good on top of a burger.

Edited to add - I gave a friend this recipe and she served it in martini glasses with smoked shrimp on the sides of the glass.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom