"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-07-2006, 03:12 AM   #31
Contest Winner

Saskatoon berry jam is my all time favourite... followed by blueberry jam and then grape jelly. Yum.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
My mother's raspberry pear and strawberry margarita jams are my favourite from childhood. I love most any berry or cherry jam/jelly and am also a fan of floral jams such as lavendar and rose petal.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #33
Executive Chef

I have a dear friend who is French. Her mother still lives on the farm where my friend grew up,and makes enough preserves and conserves for my friend, her 3 children, her two sisters and THEIR children and her brother's family too.... I always manage to beg a couple of jars of her mother's plum jam. They are made with Mirabel plums (greenish/yellow and similar to British greengages). They are not too sweet and make a great alternative to marmalade in the mornings... or so my husband says. In recent years, I have only been able to 'lust' after his heavily spread toast, rather than eat it myself
Old 06-08-2006, 01:29 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

Making marmalade

Hi Ishbel:
have you ever made any marmalade before. I have a hobbie of making jams/
jellies. I have never made any kind of marmalade, but next year I will. This
year I will be making Fig jam and quince jam for this dentist I go to. he is
a Greek man I think in his 80`s but he teaches people how to fix denchers.
he fixed my in about ten minutes. so i asked him what kind of jams/jellies
he likes and this is what he told me. so thats what I will be making this year.
I don`t know why more people don`t make jams/jellies because it only
takes about a half hour to make it, and every body always wants it. you should try it.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:22 AM   #35
Executive Chef

I make a lot of jams each year, but I fear it's a dying art in the UK. I make enough marmalade in Jan/Feb to keep my whole family going for the year. That's when the seville oranges are available here. Here's a recipe thread started a while back. If you do a search (bar at the top of the page) and key in 'marmalade' you will find lots and lots of uses for marmalade!
Traditional British marmalade made with Seville oranges
Old 06-08-2006, 05:27 AM   #36
Executive Chef

I've also made marmalades with mandarin oranges, grapefruits and lemon and limes. Love lemon/lime together.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
Spiced Pumpkin Butter!!!
Ooooooooooooooooooh that sounds good, I have never had it, do you have a recipe, and how does it store???

Ishbel is right, Jam making is not popular with young cooks in UK. I am 27 and am the only one of all my foody friends who really makes jam, they say they don't see why when there are so many good and affordable brands readily available. But I notice they all ask for jars of mine LOL.

I find it theraputic and satisfying to make jams and jellys. In fact, here is an embarrasing admission, sometimes when I am a bit low I open my jam cupboard and some how the rows of jewel bright jars make me feel calm and in control. I love jellies because of the way they look (In UK jellys are clear and seived, jams are fruit preserves) but I like making both.

I like to make a wide variety. Last summer peach and raspberry was a big hit. I particularly likes a tart golden plum jam because I found the tree in a hedgerow and that satisfies the scavenger in me! I have else where on this board eulogised about my friend's mother's blackberry and apple jam, a formative taste for me, and I really want to crack a really good hedgerow jelly this summer.

I love rose jam, which I buy cheaply at Turkish delis and marmalades, but mine is less good and gutsy than I would like, my sisters is rich and treacly dark, mine is lighter and whiskey laden, its nice to have the two in my cupboard.

I hate damson jam, but make it in memory of my mother in law who loved it, and the same woman has her ashes scattered under a mulberry tree so we visit late summer and get buckets of the fruit (that other wise rots uneaten on the ground) and jam that.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:29 AM   #38
Master Chef

Raspberry, blackberry, & a wonderful "sour cherry" preserve put out by the Wolferman's muffin company.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #39
Head Chef

Top favourite is an organic raspberry jam I've found. Then plum, blackcurrent and greengage. Hardly anyone in the UK eats greengages now, as far as I can tell. It'll soon be the season here in Spain and I'm already looking forward to it. They have a really alluring perfume and just the right balance of sweet and sharpness.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #40
Head Chef

I can't say that I have ever even seen a greenpage, much less tasted one. They sound heavenly to me!!! I do know that the guys in my favorite band make sure to have a good supply of them if they can on their tours.