Favorite flavor of jam, jellies, preserves, etc?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ayrton said:
Ishbel, brilliant -- thanks very much!

I've copied both into a Word doc and I'll look at them a bit closer later on. Just a quick question: this type of preserving doesn't require you to do hot water baths and that sort of thing?

Also ... Seville oranges per se we don't have, meaning, they're not sold in supermarkets labeled as such. However, we have what we call "bitter oranges" everywhere in Athens, in front of every house on every street just about. These are the ones Greeks would use to make orange preserves which is akin to marmalade. They'd be suitable for marmalade wouldn't you think?

I'll Google for exact meaning of Seville oranges so don't feel you need to on my behalf.

Thanks again.

The Greek ones sound exactly the same as what we call Seville oranges - but they only become available here in winter and are grown in Spain.

Water baths..? Naaah, that sounds like hard work, which my recipe isn't!

Here's a Delia Smith recipe for a really dark, chunky marmalade. Delicious
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/dark-chunky-marmalade,1047,RC.html

Last edited:
i already post my favorite jams some time ago, but a few days ago i suddenly recalled a really great jam that i made only 4 or 5 times when i was a lot younger and still lived in my hometown.

rosehip jam, which i used to make from the rose hips of wild beach roses. they come into season around my birthday, so for a while it i got into making it as a birthday treat for myself. since then, i've unfortunately never lived anyplace where i could find wild rose bushes. what a shame. it's really great.
wouldn't want to used anything covered with pesticides though. :(

My mum used to make THE most wonderful apple and rosehip jelly. Glorious colour and she swore that it warded off colds and 'flu!

I don't make it very often - no-one else liked it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom