Favorite foods from Whole Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
I don't shop there often because of the cost but I do go there for their Middle East/Isreali couscous (bulk isle).
It is the only place I can find it.(it is much larger than regular couscous)

I also like their selection of Quinoa and other grains.

Their cheese selection is top notch too.The one by us will put out cubes for trying.

I stay away from the meat section based purely on cost.

Their premade/deli foods are great, especially the Calzone and salads selections

adora
(dark chocolate)

CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT
500 mg Calcium
Vitamin D3
Magnesium

"adora" is a bag of individually wrapped premium dark chocolate (looks like Dove chocolate) that is 500mg of calcium with vitaminD3 and magnesium in each piece. They are delicious and each piece only has 2grams of sugar. It's Gluten Free, No Corn Syrup, No Trans Fat.

The only negative is that you can only have 1-3 pieces depending on your age (1-2 for under 50 and 2-3 for over 50).

It sure beats taking a big pill...and helps your craving for sweets.

Brun Uusto Cheese. Only Whole Foods carries it. You put it in a fry pan, toast it, cut it and serve it. Like a cheese pizza without the crust.

My kids love it and I also love their fig preserve.

I ordered a custom made turducken for Christmas one year! That was the only place I could find to make it for me in my area. They may look fun to make on your own, but it also looked like too much work for me.:wacko:
By the way-it was really good, but a lot of money. Probably won't get one again, but it was a hit with the family. Usually we have duck on Christmas!

I had to look turducken up. Wow, that looks so flavorful and interesting...but, yes, a lot of work too. As I chock up another tidbit in my Book of DC Knowledge. I learn something new everyday. Thank you!

I had to look turducken up. Wow, that looks so flavorful and interesting...but, yes, a lot of work too. As I chock up another tidbit in my Book of DC Knowledge. I learn something new everyday. Thank you!

Glad to increase your vocab!

They have a good selection of gluten free breads and other GF products. Other than that, I only get things they have on sale as they are way overpriced.

I used to go to Whole Foods when I worked close to one. When I stopped working there I stopped shopping at WF because it was 35 miles away. But I love the tuna salad, Mom's chicken soup and the salad bar (greek wheat berry salad, asian noodles, fried chicken wings), the soy chocolate muffins, maytag blue cheese, I can't remember the brand of yogurt but it had cream on top and was made with honey as the sweetener, the coffee yogurt was awesome!! The bakery goods were fantastic. Prices were very high for a lot of the food!!

I love the magnificent cheese selection. I could spend years exploring it.

Great wine selection.

Dry aged beef.

At certain times (e.g Thanksgiving), the best mushroom selection I have ever seen, anywhere. Hands down.

I live in a Seattle burb. Nearest Whole Foods is about 10 miles, still in the burbs. I can do that in a heartbeat. Downtown Seattle (and Pike Place market), is only 5-6 miles further, but a mountain of traffic and parking issues. Not to say I don't do that every couple of months.

Probably my biggest gripe about Whole Foods is that they are safe.

You can't find a bottarga, a guancale, sweetbread, slab bacon, beef shank, to save your life. I actually asked their fish monger and butcher about the first two, and they had know idea what they were. Sheesh...

Last edited:
I love the magnificent cheese selection. I could spend years exploring it.

Great wine selection.

Dry aged beef.

At certain times (e.g Thanksgiving), the best mushroom selection I have ever seen, anywhere. Hands down.

I live in a Seattle burb. Nearest Whole Foods is about 10 miles, still in the burbs. I can do that in a heartbeat. Downtown Seattle (and Pike Place market), is only 5-6 miles further, but a mountain of traffic and parking issues. Not to say I don't do that every couple of months.

Probably my biggest gripe about Whole Foods is that they are safe.

You can't find a bottarga, a guancale, sweetbread, slab bacon, beef shank, to save your life. I actually asked their fish monger and butcher about the first two, and they had know idea what they were. Sheesh...

Pikes market is the bomb! We got the ingredients for a supreme lobster and noodle dinner while we camped in our tent trailer one year.

Our Mexican immagrant brothers are the best bet for finding out of the norm cuts of beef at their markets.
Don't be shy to shop there!

I like the whole grain bread very much and being an asian like King Arther wheat flour for making healthy chapattis from whole foods. :)

Brun Uusto Cheese. Only Whole Foods carries it. You put it in a fry pan, toast it, cut it and serve it. Like a cheese pizza without the crust.

My kids love it and I also love their fig preserve.

I love Brunkow cheeses!!

I buy them at the Evanston Farmers Market when I'm visiting chi-town

I find their bagged greens are the cheapest around. I also like their sprouts. Also raisin challah.

Henna to dye my hair ... Burt's Bees stuff (they must be a huge supplier b/c it's cheapest there too).

Bulk anything, if I only want a little (got wheat bran there last time).

Certain flavors of ice cream .... sometimes their soy crumbles, etc.

Right now, the best thing from Whole Foods in our area is a sign that says " New Home of Whole Foods" and that the constuction has already begun!:ohmy:

Craig

their lamb steaks...not lamb chops, but boneless, lean steaks cut from the leg (presumably)...look sort of like sirloin steaks...they arent that cheap ($9 - $10/lb), but cheaper than most of their beef steaks....they are great....i usually just use S&P, sear them in a hot pan, then finish in the oven....i also once made a rosemary balsamic reduction to go with it, but it wasnt neccessary

I don't shop there often because of the cost but I do go there for their Middle East/Isreali couscous (bulk isle).
It is the only place I can find it.(it is much larger than regular couscous)

I also like their selection of Quinoa and other grains.

Their cheese selection is top notch too.The one by us will put out cubes for trying.

I stay away from the meat section based purely on cost.

Their premade/deli foods are great, especially the Calzone and salads selections

Every time I go there I pick up a cheese I have never tried before. One time, The girl behind the cheese bar was slicing open a 20 year aged parmesan wheel. She gave me a piece from the center. I had to sit down.

Back
Top Bottom