"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-15-2004, 07:16 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I put bleach in my washroom garbage. It makes the room smell clean and sanitary.

Old 09-16-2004, 04:02 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliev
hey psiguyy.. what did you fix with your cod.. we never heard.. sorry my recipe wasn't what you wanted.. I'll post it over in the fish section.
I have your recipe for the next time. I battered and deep fried it. Ate it with my own tartar sauce (mayo, capers, diced sweet pickle, and Splenda).

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
Thanks for all the postings, some really helpful hints here. Regarding the bleach, thank you, but I do not like to use chemicals that are toxic which is why I have the vinegar book which is where I got the suggestion for cleaning cutting boards and counter tops. My everyday dishes are clear glass, and I add vinegar to the dishwater to keep away spots.

:roll: GO DUCKS

Surprisingly, bleach is not poisonous.

Did you know that according to the Taylor company that before you put the ice cream mix into their barrel freezer (soft serve yogurt, ice cream, etc. machines) you are to run a chlorine based (bleach) sanitizer through the machine, let it drain, and put the mix right in. They say water is not as clean as the sanitizer, so if you rinse the bleach out with fresh water, you are contaminating the machine.

Old 09-16-2004, 04:27 PM   #13
Master Chef

not sure if someone already posted this or not, but lining baking sheets with foil is such an excellent way to keep baking sheets that you put into the oven and broiler clean. especially when you are cooking meats. just remove the foil and wash the pan if you choose to do so. (i do, but that's me)
lining the broiler with foil (non-deflective side up) or just crumbling the edges up around a food is another thing. :D
Old 09-16-2004, 04:35 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Before company comes over.....our a little vanilla in a lightly heated pan. Smells great but you better back up that smell with some cookies.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:37 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
putting lemon or orange peels down in the garbage disposal and running it a few seconds
Old 09-16-2004, 05:13 PM   #16
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
Thanks for all the postings, some really helpful hints here. Regarding the bleach, thank you, but I do not like to use chemicals that are toxic which is why I have the vinegar book which is where I got the suggestion for cleaning cutting boards and counter tops. My everyday dishes are clear glass, and I add vinegar to the dishwater to keep away spots.

Surprisingly, bleach is not poisonous.

Did you know that according to the Taylor company that before you put
the ice cream mix into their barrel freezer (soft serve yogurt, ice cream, etc. machines) you are to run a chlorine based (bleach) sanitizer through the machine, let it drain, and put the mix right in. They say water is not as clean as the sanitizer, so if you rinse the bleach out with fresh water, you are contaminating the machine.
Are you certain they have the same chemical base? I have not bought bleach for 8+ years and I remember the label saying poison, use only in ventilated area, do not take orally, etc and this was the clothing wash type. They use chlorine to purify swimming pools. Confusing. I will look at the label again the next time I shop.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:38 PM   #17
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy
Wooden cutting boards must be treated regularly with food grade mineral oil. The oil fills the pores of the wood and keeps food and bacteria out.

If you have never treated it with oil, you'll need to sand it down to bare clean wood before you treat it. In the future, retreating the board regularly will be a simple matter of just wiping oil on the board and letting it sit overnight.
Thanks, I have heard that before, but forgotten it. I believe I will try this as my wooden cutting board needs to be sanded down, it does not look as pretty as it used to.

Old 09-16-2004, 05:39 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
putting lemon or orange peels down in the garbage disposal and running it a few seconds
and ice cubes down the drain help keep the blades sharp
Old 09-16-2004, 05:43 PM   #19
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs_food
not sure if someone already posted this or not, but lining baking sheets with foil is such an excellent way to keep baking sheets that you put into the oven and broiler clean. especially when you are cooking meats. just remove the foil and wash the pan if you choose to do so. (i do, but that's me)
lining the broiler with foil (non-deflective side up) or just crumbling the edges up around a food is another thing. :D
At the risk of sounding nuts or stupid (I am blond so that is my excuse) the non-deflective side the shiny rather than matte finish???? What happens if the other side is up. I heard somewhere that one side should not touch the food you are eating because of the alzeimers (sp) threat with aluminum. What do you know about this? Rumor or truth?

[/img]http://www.e-design-it.com/avatars/green.gif
Old 03-22-2005, 03:47 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I started to buy a package of those disposable plastic sheets for temporary cutting boards. Right on the next shelf were the paper products, bowls plates cups, etc.
I bought a package of those super thin paper plates, much cheaper than the palstic ones.
I use them for a quick chop when I don't want to dirty up my cutting board.
Just toss then on the trash when finished
Also good for popping in to the microwave with a snack.

I'll use then for laying out my ingredents prior to mixing a recipe. A little stronger than a paper towel.
They don't hold liquids very long.

Charlie