"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-22-2005, 12:40 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
At the risk of sounding nuts or stupid (I am blond so that is my excuse) the non-deflective side the shiny rather than matte finish???? What happens if the other side is up. I heard somewhere that one side should not touch the food you are eating because of the alzeimers (sp) threat with aluminum. What do you know about this? Rumor or truth?

[/img]http://www.e-design-it.com/avatars/green.gif[img] :roll: GO DUCKS[/img]
i say non-deflective side up so the heat will be absorbed and not bounced off the foil is all. i don't know about the health risks.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:42 PM   #22
Master Chef

pour lots of salt over a raw egg spilled on the floor. it will firm it up so you can pick it up with paper towels more easily.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:33 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Talking

I use the plastic cutting boards too. I love them. I just toss them in the dish washer when I'm done. I also wash my sponges in the dw every night.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:22 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thanks for all the postings, some really helpful hints here. Regarding the bleach, thank you, but I do not like to use chemicals that are toxic which is why I have the vinegar book which is where I got the suggestion for cleaning cutting boards and counter tops. My everyday dishes are clear glass, and I add vinegar to the dishwater to keep away spots.

:roll: GO DUCKS
I'm with you norgeskog. I have to use plates to cut anything due to the fact the board I have is ages old and came with the house. If I were to get different one I would have no place to store it. Hence, the use of dishes is best. I know will have no residue or something I am not aware of. When you don't have you have to try to be creative? I just want what I eat to be as sanitary as I can. Who knows what you eat when you go to restaurant? Also pay the price for the meal.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #25
Master Chef

sponges get a soap and bleach soak for 2 minutes then rinsed with soap again and rinsed to get soap out .
Old 02-13-2008, 03:16 AM   #26
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to darlenemt08
I use dish cloths for washing my dishes and those green Scotchbrite pads for scrubbing stuff. Every few weeks, I wash all of my dish cloths & dish towels in the washing machine with bleach & laundry detergent.

I keep baking soda on a shelf attached to one of my kitchen sink doors. I use it for scrubbing the coffee & tea stains off of our cups and my ceramic teapots for a quick cleaning. Otherwise, I let my stuff soak in bleach water every few weeks to help get rid of the stains better.

I put vinegar & baking soda down all of our sinks & bath tub drains every few weeks.

My cutting boards are cleaned with a little bit of bleach poured on it and then cleaned off well in the dish water and dries naturally in the dish drainer.

Darlene
Old 02-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #27
Sous Chef

We use turmeric in almost every dishes and it lefts a pale yellow stain on chinaware or opal glassware.

I have to wash them by myself with lukewarm water and baking soda.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
At the risk of sounding nuts or stupid (I am blond so that is my excuse) the non-deflective side the shiny rather than matte finish???? What happens if the other side is up. I heard somewhere that one side should not touch the food you are eating because of the alzeimers (sp) threat with aluminum. What do you know about this? Rumor or truth?
Studies suggest the link between Alzheimers Disease and aluminium foil is unlikely. They haven't found a causal relationship. Check this out...
Aluminium and Alzheimer’s disease - Alzheimer's Society
Old 02-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhuni View Post
We use turmeric in almost every dishes and it lefts a pale yellow stain on chinaware or opal glassware.

I have to wash them by myself with lukewarm water and baking soda.
I know that we are talking about kitchen tips but I have to say that I have never used turmeric, I would not know when to use it, or how it flavors. Do you have any good quick recipes that i could try. Maybe a hint or two as to the taste and dishes that it is used in. I have always wanted to try indian food but never had the chance. I do like spicey food and hear that its a must when eating these recipes. I have eaten foods with curry, which i believe is also a must in indian cooking.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #30
Master Chef

THE YUMMIEST COCKTAIL PARTY MEATBALLS

Stop chopping, use a box grater to grate the onion right into the meat
mixture. Now the pieces blend into the dainty meatballs, plus all the
flavorful juices fall straight into the bowl.

YOUR BEST CHICKEN BREAST EVER

After cooking the chicken, turn it over so the breast side is down and let
sit for 15 min. This simple flip allows juice that would normally drip off
the chicken to flow to the breast, so its more flavorful and moist.

SPEED SEED A POMEGRANATE

Quarter the pomegranate and submerge each section in a bowl filled halfway
with water. Pull the seeds away from the peel and membranes. The seeds will
sink to the bottom of the bowl and the rest will float. Then skim off the
pith, strain out the seeds and use them to top salads and more.

Rehydrating raisins makes them taste juicy. To shorten the soaking time, let
the raisins sit in a pot filled with 3/4 cup boiling water for 5 min.