"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #31
Head Chef

I always have full strength CLR (it removes lime, rust and water marks) in a spray bottle. I like to spray it at night in my sink and then wipe it down with a dry paper cloth. All the water marks disapper and my stainless steel sink and faucet look brand new.

Use a microfiber cloth for cleanup rather than chemicals for your appliances and countertops. Use a moist one for a wipe down and then buff it with a dry one. It works well on glass as well and saves on paper towels and expensive products.

When I buy my meat (which is mostly at the butcher shop). I like to bring it all home and take time to clean it up (I buy a lot of it at a time) and then portion it out and then put it in a freezer safe ziploc that is dated. This takes the prep work out when I have to cook.

Keep cilantro and other herbs fresher by removing them and tossing out the black ones and then soaking them in clean cold water. Then fish them out and dry on cloth towels. Then damp a paper towel and then wrap the cleaned herbs in it and place it in a ziploc and in the vegetable tray in your refrigerator. They stay fresher longer and they are ready without much prep when you need them.

I like to use air neutralizers and not freshners in my house (example Oust). You can spray it liberally after the house is cleaned and all the cooking is complete and in a few minutes the house will smell fresh as it absorbs the orders and does not mask it. Good test is to step out of the house and get back in to see that it really worked. I need this because I cook with a lot of strong spices.

I cover all my leftovers (that I put in the fridge) so I dont have any cross contamination of smells or flavors. I love the gladware containers for this.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

best cooking tip of all

clean up the mess as u go. when i don't do this, i feel overwhelmed. if not time to wash em for dishwasher, at least put water in ones hard to clean.

babe

Old 03-01-2008, 01:48 AM   #33
Head Chef

If your bananas start to get too ripe before you can eat them, don't throw them away, just stick them in the freezer, peel an all. The skin will turn black but the banana is just fine. When your ready for them, take them out, pop them in the microwave on defrost and use them in banana bread or just slice them up in your cereal.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
If your bananas start to get too ripe before you can eat them, don't throw them away, just stick them in the freezer, peel an all. The skin will turn black but the banana is just fine. When your ready for them, take them out, pop them in the microwave on defrost and use them in banana bread or just slice them up in your cereal.
I do the same, hubby likes to make banana bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
clean up the mess as u go. when i don't do this, i feel overwhelmed. if not time to wash em for dishwasher, at least put water in ones hard to clean.

babe
I agree it is better to clean as you go.

Another tip : when filling a measuring cup with flour, I level it off with a knife.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post

babe
This is so true especially if you are working with a small space. I find if I am vigilant there is virtually nothing to clean up by the time the meal is served. I am a messy cook and manage to use alot of things while cooking if I dont clean as I go I quickly paint myself in a corner.

another one is keeping clothespins or some other type of clips handy for hoding potato chip or pasta bags and the like shut
Old 03-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
I am a messy cook and manage to use alot of things while cooking if I dont clean as I go I quickly paint myself in a corner.
I know exactly what you mean, my dh says that I can use pert near every bowl, plate, pot, pan, dish, fork, knife and spoon just to make TOAST!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Another tip : when filling a measuring cup with flour, I level it off with a knife.
I level off with a knife a lot more than just flour -- white sugar, baking soda, baking powder, other ground spices if they don't have the flat edge on the container.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
I know exactly what you mean, my dh says that I can use pert near every bowl, plate, pot, pan, dish, fork, knife and spoon just to make TOAST!
You must be related to my late x-MIL. She could dirty up everything in the kitchen just boiling water. I've never seen anything like it.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #39
Senior Cook

If you don't have a rolling pin, a large can of shaving foam will suffice.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
I have more fun slicing them and tossing in to the dehydrator which turns them into nice snacks. The riper the banana the better.

I also use the dehydrator when cutting up celery. All those leaf tops that get chopped off gets dehydrated. Great for flavoring later for soups and stews. I will also grind down to a powder and replenish my spice jar.

Nothing goes to waste when it comes to produce. All ripe excesses get placed in the dehydrator and stored for later use -- tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, celery, onions, applesauce, fruits, etc.