Favorite holiday leftovers/leftovers remixed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keylime

Assistant Cook
I just had some left over roasted chicken, cheddar garlic biscuits, stovetop stuffing (after failing when I made my stuffing twice, stove top is pretty solid), and cranberry apple sauce from Christmas dinner. I made the biscuits and cranberry sauce. I love leftovers...still good as hell days later. What leftovers do you love to have over and over?

Do you remix any of the leftovers? For example I've made turkey & stuffing tacos with a cranberry jalapeño sauce that I doctored up from leftover cranberry sauce. Sooo good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A favorite (and easy ) way to change up cranberry sauce is to simply grate in some fresh ginger- as much as you like, and let this marinate until serving. The family is pretty traditional, so its one can of cranberry jelly and one bowl of plain cooked cranberries sauce. There is usually plenty of leftover cranberries, so I feel rich when it is sent home in a small container. I agree, mixing in some chopped jalapenos is pretty good too.

I think my favorite leftover holiday meals are a tie between Split Pea Soup, if you have a ham bone or build a turkey sandwich.

The sandwich I like best is bread, mayo, turkey, S & P, stuffing, cranberry sauce, lettuce and mayo, top with 2nd slice of bread.

I'm thinking of making pork meatball sliders with cranberry sauce adding jalapeños again, because I had a pork slider with jalapeño jelly from mighty balls and loved it. Not a fan of ginger at all :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Favorite holiday leftovers/ leftovers remixed

I make a casserole with whatever leftovers. Layer turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce. Poke some holes and pour leftover gravy over all, and freeze. Come July, it's fantastic! Turkey day redux!

And the ginger cranberry sauce sounds great to me, Whiska!

Last edited:
That's my favorite too, Dawg. I make mine in a loaf pan, but eat it the next day. I couldn't possible wait until July!

Not much can beat prime rib French dip sandwiches. We had them for lunch today, and I still have enough roast and mashed potatoes and gravy left for a full dinner. :yum:

We had prime rib roast this year for the holiday dinner. Although we nibble away at the leftovers for a couple of days, ultimately I end up using the remainder to make Stroganoff. :yum:

We used the last of our ribeye roast for roast beef hash for breakfast this morning. There's a little left that I may drown in the remaining gravy for another breakfast.

We had prime rib roast this year for the holiday dinner. Although we nibble away at the leftovers for a couple of days, ultimately I end up using the remainder to make Stroganoff. :yum:

Try making hash with chopped cauliflower instead of potato, add a poached egg and some catsup! :yum:

I love when I have meat leftovers. I grind it, then there many choices. Pierogis, pirozhkies, then I like to make potato field with meat and then fried.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I love when I have meat leftovers. I grind it, then there many choices. Pierogis, pirozhkies, then I like to make potato field with meat and then fried.
Charlie, just curious. What is the difference between pierogis and pirozhkies? I always thought they were just different names for the same thing.

Pirogies are boiled, pierozhkies are baked or deep fried. Incidentally, in regards of your diabetic diet thread, how can I be healthy on diet like this. Oy......

Last edited:
Pirogies are boiled, pierozhkies are baked or deep fried. Incidentally, in regards of your diabetic diet thread, how can I be healthy on diet like this. Oy......

I just finished reading one book of 280 pages to answer that question and have 3 more books to go, plus the website references. Not an easy question to answer.

Back
Top Bottom