"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Like Medtran, if I only cooked light dishes in the summer, we'd never eat a lot of food, so I don't really change my menu with the seasons. But for a light, quick supper I often fall back on a few of our favorites, none of which require me to turn on the oven.

Fish Tacos - change up the fish and toppings somewhat, but lettuce or cabbage for crunch, avocado, cilantro, lime, and either my chipotle mayo or bang-bang sauce.

BLT - standard lunch fare here - we eat it 2 or 3 times a week when tomatoes are good. We get 2 tomato seasons each year, spring and fall. In mid-summer it's too hot and wet for tomatoes. They are brought down from northern US & Canada, and are still good. In the winter, we skip this.

Sous-vide fish, chicken breast or pork chop with mango salsa. Fish is good right out of the bath, but meat gets a quick hot sear before serving. My mango salsa includes red pepper, red onion or scallions, lots of cilantro, and plenty of fresh lime juice.

I have a couple of main dish type salads, a curried chicken with apples, almonds, grapes & currants and a Maurice Salad ala J.L. Hudson's restaurant and a jerk chicken salad with a mango dressing that I pull together frequently.

But I'm as likely to braise some short ribs or chicken thighs in July as I am in November.

Surprisingly, we don't grill much - it's just too hot outside in the summer.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #22
Master Chef

Panzanella.

Grilled steak with salad and baked potatoes.

Hot dogs with cool sides (macaroni salad or potato salad, ice tea or beer, sometimes coleslaw), and usually baked beans.

Grilled burgers.

Dinner salads: a bed of lettuce obscured by some variation of chicken, ham, cooked eggs, tuna chunks, some sort of cheese, various common and fancy salad veggies. Just so long as it's all cold and pushed onto the fork with a crusty roll.

Tuna or chicken salad sandwiches on soft rolls. Usually with a salad.

A big bowl of ice cream with hot fudge and whipped cream on top. Did I type that out loud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
How do you make your taco salad?...Do you let it cool first, or use leftover, or put it on hot, or... ?...
It's usually warmer than room temp, but not so hot that it would burn your tongue. Unless you're talking about the seasonings. That depends on how heavy my hand was that day...

Old 05-27-2016, 11:27 PM   #23
Master Chef

About the Taco Salads...I used to make it with chilled taco meat, but I've been reformed thanks to paying attention here some time ago. It's much better with at least warm taco meat in the salad. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Caprese salad is one of my favorites, although I like red wine vinegar with it

Welcome to Discuss Cooking
A more substantial twist of the Caprese salad is the addition of breaded fried eggplant slices. I first ran into this salad when I worked in a facility that had a Marriott catered cafeteria. Shingle the tomato, mozzarella and room temperature eggplant slices, garnish with a chiffonade of fresh basil and drizzle with a sharp vinaigrette made with red wine vinegar and olive oil. This can also be plated as a stack or tower. The leftovers can be baked the next day and sprinkled with some grated cheese.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #25
Executive Chef

I thought of a couple more...

Tabbouleh. When local tomatoes are in season.

Nicoise salads. You can sub chicken for tuna. And add some tarragon, pretty soon its something else.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, everyone! Here's to a delicious summer for all of us!
Old 05-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #27
Head Chef

Most anything on the grill.

BLT sandwiches.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Most anything on the grill.

BLT sandwiches.
Last year, we started putting basil on BLTs. Mmmmm, so good. I love fresh basil.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

It has to be a potato salad using a whole five pound bag of potatoes. Also a cole slaw with the KFC buttermilk dressing. I am lucky if it lasts two days. If I go to my daughter's for a cookout, I am designated to always bring these two foods.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #30
Senior Cook

I am in line with others on grilling. My grill also has a side burner (mandatory) so I try to do as much as I can outside to keep from adding heat to the house. BLT, anything grilled - lots of veggies grilled and sauted, lots of fish, and we like to do cold fruit salads.

Tags
dinner