Favorite hot-weather dinners ~ 2016 edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
So, it got suddenly hot here this week - 60s and rain last week, sunny and 80s the last few days - which got me in mind of low- or no-cook meals ;)

We have threads on this topic already, but since we have so many new members, I thought it would be fun to start a new one. What do you like to make to eat when it's hot outside?

Since it is hot here most of the year, we eat pretty much anything year round. If we waited for it to get cold, we'd never have things like chili, pot roast, etc. If it's really hot and we've been outside, we'll have a salad meal or a light soup like gazpacho.

We do a lot of grilling the summer. In hot weather we tend to eat cold sides. Potato or pasta salads, sesame noodles, tossed salads, etc. Don't make many pizzas in the summer.

Lots of salads. Here in the desert the summertime heat can be brutal.

Loaded up green salads, chicken/tuna salad, southwestern style with beans and corn, 3-bean salad, taco salad....you name it. I grill all year 'round but in the summer, I usually fire up the Weber early afternoon when the sun has moved over to the other side of the house. The patio is always shaded, it just feels cooler when the rest of the backyard is more shaded. :cool:

I'll often slow cook a pork roast in the Nesco and make pulled pork, and eat that on crusty rolls for a few days - almost always with nice cold watermelon.

Last edited:
Not much cooking during the hottest part of the year.

I try to use scoop and eat or scoop, nuke and eat type things.

Cottage cheese, three bean salad, marinated beets, cucumber salad, tomato salad with onions and oregano, shrimp salad, chicken salad, hard boiled eggs, etc...

Various mixed green salads topped with chicken tenders, taco meat, cold cuts etc...

Cold sliced meatloaf or roasted chicken and a cauliflower or broccoli salad.

A quick burger or hot dog.

If it's really, really hot for several days it might be a late night drive to one of the old hot dog, fish fry or burger joints in the area.

After several hot days we usually get a cool day that requires a decent home cooked meal. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The dish that always says ' Summer " to us , is Linguini with garlic and oil, fresh tomatoes and basil ( from the garden), and cubed mozzarella cheese , salt to taste, served room temperature ( or a little cooler).

has to be made and served immediately, or else the pasta gets a little pasty. We usually server with thinly sliced italian bread which has been toasted with a little garlic and oil, until crispy. this way, when the tomatoes and cheese are left at the bottom of the dish after eating, you can load them up on the toast like a Bruschetta.

How do you make your taco salad (Cheryl or anyone)?

I always seem to hesitate about putting hot seasoned beef on cold salad fixings. Do you let it cool first, or use leftover, or put it on hot, or... ? Any other tips?

A balsamic vinaigrette with an assortment of vine tomatoes with clicks of basil leaves and bocconcini is always popular over here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salads, sandwiches, and lots of fast food because I just can't stand to cook when it gets so hot in my room.

My favorite is a chip dip I make by taking 8oz of cream cheese and slicing it horizontally into 3 layers. After placing these on a plate, I spoon Ragu spaghetti sauce over the top and then eat it with Ruffles potato chips. Lately I've gotten to where I've add basil on top and next time I think I may sprinkle some crab meat or chicken on the cream cheese as well.

And then I wonder why I weight so much!

Welcome to Discuss Cooking, Ray! :flowers:
-------------------------
GG, I'm sure you'll get several responses here, but I like room temp ground beef best for taco salad - or at best, slightly warm. By the time I put the salad dressing on, it cools down a little more.

My fave taco salads are Romaine, iceberg, red onion or scallions, tomatoes, seasoned ground beef, shredded pepper jack or regular Monterey jack, sliced olives, and crushed tortilla chips. Topped with ranch, or ranch mixed with a little adobo sauce. :yum:

Last edited:
Welcome to Discuss Cooking, Ray! :flowers:
-------------------------
GG, I'm sure you'll get several responses here, but I like room temp ground beef best for taco salad - or at best, slightly warm. By the time I put the salad dressing on, it cools down a little more.

My fave taco salads are Romaine, iceberg, red onion or scallions, tomatoes, seasoned ground beef, shredded pepper jack or regular Monterey jack, sliced olives, and crushed tortilla chips. Topped with ranch, or ranch mixed with a little adobo sauce. :yum:

Thanks Cheryl [emoji4] always been a keen cook (and food eater).

Thanks, Cheryl! :)

Caprese salad is one of my favorites, although I like red wine vinegar with it :yum:

Welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

Thanks Garlic haha :) love the username.

I'll have to try that next time - always just found the flavours in balsamic to be more reminiscent of my time in Italy.

With a protein on the side, this is our favorite Summer secret..

Grilled Marinated Veggies.

I could eat them every day, and they are wonderful cold with your lunch.

You'll need a large sturdy grilling basket. You can find them at any home goods store like Target, etc. They are wonderful, so get one.

In a large zip lock bag mix up equal parts of olive oil and white balsamic vinegar. The dark balsamic will work, but it colors the veggies.
Add seasonings of your choice, and be generous.
I like:
salt
garlic powder
smoked paprika
mixed Italian seasonings
You can use anything you like.

Mix the contents in the bag and add your cut up veggies.
I like:
thick sliced zuccini
white onion wedges, broken apart
chunks of bell pepper (tri colored are great)
portabella mushrooms cut in wedges (any mushrooms are good)
asparagus stalks cut in half (in season right now)

Add all the veggies to the bag and seal. Shake them up good and marinate for at least two hours.

Preheat your grilling basket on the grill, then dump the whole bag into the basket. You need to toss everything occasionally, and I use a loose sheet of foil over them between tossing. Cook till everything is crisp tender with some hints of char.

Maybe everyone knows how to do this, but then again, maybe not.

img_1467903_0_7e8922430735a02ba6d81aa8de5a91d3.jpg

Last edited:
Hello R.ay. Jump right in.

GG When I make taco salads, with seasoned ground beef, I allow the meat to cool to room temp before assembly. If using leftovers, I nuke it a tish. I like to add a layer of salsa in the salad part and toss the lettuce part with Catalina French dressing. And then it all gets mixed together anyway. I don't use crispy tortillas in my taco salad. I like sliced radish and bell pepper adds lately.

Summer pickles. I think this year I will be doing the sweet sour marinade, drain, and mix in some of Dx's tangy home-made yogurt.

Things with mint and tarragon. Cheryl's SW Corn and bean salad is a family favorite. Pesto, later in the summer. Ice tea by the pitcher. Grilled anything. Sandwiches, quesadillas, tacos, burritos, (hmm, reminds me a lot like mid-week dinners), with the addition of burgers and brats. Main dish salads, esp tuna, chix and sliced steak salads. Fruit, fruit salads, fruit for snacks.

Andy's double ranch potato salad. I've been meaning to try this since he posted a recipe ~~last August. We like cole slaw with blue cheese dressing, but I've been adding a spoonful of horseradish to cole slaw dressing lately, so I might try doing both once to see how that tastes.

Another vote for lightly nuking the taco meat or chili used to top a taco salad. I make up a batch of chili or taco meat and freeze it in one cup containers. Each container is enough to top two salads. I thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and nuke it while I'm preparing the other ingredients for the salad.

I use a combination of salsa, mayonnaise and sour cream for the dressing.

During the dog days of summer another favorite from my childhood is cold or lightly nuked slices of baked ham on a salad plate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom