Favorite Item from Trader Joe's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PrincessFiona60 said:
We are not adverse to frozen items, as a matter of fact, most of us appreciate finding out about new products that save us time and taste good.

The processed foods I have in my kitchen are ones that save me time and I cannot make them better. Oh, and they have no obnoxious additives.

I feel the same, I don't mind having a few processed foods in the house, but so many of them have additives that just don't need to be there, especially when places like TJ's carries similar products without the obnoxious additives, and they often taste just as good or better!

Are they breaded frozen rounds? That would make a nice shortcut for eggplant parm.
Yes they are the breaded rounds small ones and I've made parm with them but I also make an eggplant sandwich wirh rhem we like.
kades

Are they breaded frozen rounds? That would make a nice shortcut for eggplant parm.
But--it is so easy to make breaded rounds of eggplant--I do mine in the oven and package them in ziplocks--I always have eggplant ready for eggplant parm. What the heck is Trader Joe's anyway?

Yes they are the breaded rounds small ones and I've made parm with them but I also make an eggplant sandwich wirh rhem we like.
kades

I'm going to look for those, they would be perfect for making a one-serving batch. Shrek won't eat eggplant, but I love it. Would be a good Bento dish!

But--it is so easy to make breaded rounds of eggplant--I do mine in the oven and package them in ziplocks--I always have eggplant ready for eggplant parm. What the heck is Trader Joe's anyway?
Trader Joe's has wine,wonderful veggies and meat, bread,spices, evoo with a great price that doesn't leave your pockets emptyyogur,milk, whipping cream you name it they got it:)
kadesma

DH and I love TJ"S eggplant, it's breaded and if cooked in some evoo it is wonderful. It's ready to go.
kades

I am not happy with them with regard to eggplant because they used to carry a frozen eggplant parmesan made out of steamed eggplant with no breading on it. Since I am gluten free I bought it all the time and loved it for a nice side dish in a pinch. They no longer carry it and all they have are the breaded slices.

I have noticed that TJ has cut out a lot of things along the way and streamlined their inventory. I buy less there than I used to because of it.

Trader Joe's is Coming Soon
to These Locations:

Chicago (Lakeview), IL
Chicago (South Loop), IL
Kansas City, MO
Leawood, KS
Mt. Pleasant, SC
Pittsburgh, PA
Salem, OR
Spokane, WA
Staten Island, NY
Ventura, CA
Shrewsbury, NJ

...sorry CWS, maybe next time
although TJ's seems to be staying
within US borders for now

Last edited:
to These Locations:

Chicago (Lakeview), IL
Chicago (South Loop), IL
Kansas City, MO
Leawood, KS
Mt. Pleasant, SC
Pittsburgh, PA
Salem, OR
Spokane, WA
Staten Island, NY
Ventura, CA
Shrewsbury, NJ

although TL's seems to be staying

Spokane! Still not close enough!

Glad to see TJ's continuing to expand. I know that lots of real estate developers would love to have a TJ in their shopping centers.
I'm lucky to have 5 TJ's all within a 10 mile radius here.

great now i have to there tonight...i need to try that flatbread thingy on the first page.
I love their garlic cube things in the freezer section.

I learned about the frozen garlic cubes here too and now it's a staple in my freezer. It's amazing how many things I add garlic to now...well it IS healthy, tastes as good, and same nutrition, so why not ;)

From this link, 6 Things to Buy at Trader Joe's - CBS MoneyWatch.com , here are 6 things MoneyWatch says to buy at Trader Joe's: cheese, fresh flowers/plants, toilet paper, chocolate, nuts/trailmix, and maple syrup

And from this link: 4 Things Not to Buy at Trader Joe's - CBS MoneyWatch.com , here are 4 things MoneyWatch says NOT to buy at Trader Joe's: produce, wraps/sandwiches, sushi, and Two-Buck-Chuck-wine (well what are they expecting for 2 bucks...3 bucks on the east coast)

to These Locations:

Chicago (Lakeview), IL
Chicago (South Loop), IL
Kansas City, MO
Leawood, KS
Mt. Pleasant, SC
Pittsburgh, PA
Salem, OR
Spokane, WA
Staten Island, NY
Ventura, CA
Shrewsbury, NJ

although TJ's seems to be staying

:clap: Ventura is blessed with TWO stores now. Remarkable, since we are not a large city. I wish everyone could have a TJ's. The brand new one is closer and bigger than the other one, so I'm a happy camper.
I found the best buns there, great for the monster hamburgers I did the other night.
They look like the large round floured rustic loaves of bread, but much flatter and about 7 inches across. Boy, do they ever toast up nicely in the broiler with olive oil, and are chewy good, holding up without falling apart. Tonight I'm using them for pulled pork sandwiches, they will hold up well to lots of sauce.
Yummm

Went shopping at TJ"S today got our favorite sliced eggplant, it's breaded in small rounds we fry quickly in evoo then elbow each other to get to it. I love it sprinkled with melted butter and lemon and a little parm Yum we also got some canape turnover stuffed with mushrooms, a pizza with cheese and mushrooms, so me tiny potatoes about the size of a quarter, small cucumbers, fresh artichokes, evoo, so mini baauettes, proscuitto, I'm happy as a clam:LOL:
kadesma

Not TJ's but we picked up some local made Chipotle and Mushroom Tamales...you don't even miss the meat in them.

I learned about the frozen garlic cubes here too and now it's a staple in my freezer. It's amazing how many things I add garlic to now...well it IS healthy, tastes as good, and same nutrition, so why not ;)

From this link, 6 Things to Buy at Trader Joe's - CBS MoneyWatch.com , here are 6 things MoneyWatch says to buy at Trader Joe's: cheese, fresh flowers/plants, toilet paper, chocolate, nuts/trailmix, and maple syrup

And from this link: 4 Things Not to Buy at Trader Joe's - CBS MoneyWatch.com , here are 4 things MoneyWatch says NOT to buy at Trader Joe's: produce, wraps/sandwiches, sushi, and Two-Buck-Chuck-wine (well what are they expecting for 2 bucks...3 bucks on the east coast)

I don't agree on the Things Not to Buy list: for one thing their bananas are a good buy as long as you don't take small ones and some of the produce is cheaper and better than in the supermarket, and the Two Buck Chuck is very good wine, my BF buys it all the time and a lot of people swear by it.

I don't know why they recommend their toilet paper. I tried it and was not impressed. Also, they have cut down on the varieties of nuts lately.

Last edited:

I did not like their TP, but agree with the rest. Their chocolate is very good.

On the not to buy list, their produce is hit or miss. I love that I can find hardy kiwis there when in season for a fraction of the cost that I find them elsewhere. I agree with the wraps/sandwiches & sushi. I want to like these items from TJ, but am usually disappointed. The two-buck chuck is decent enough to serve to others - and no one would guess what it is....unless they are a TJ fan. :angel:

Their enchilada sauce is superb, as is their tuscan marinara sauce. Garlic naan, orange chicken, eggppant hummus, milk chocolate smores, almond thins, peach champagne, I can go on and on.

Our latest favorite are mango bars. They come in the perfect size too...only 60 calories each. Nom nom nom...now I want some.

Back
Top Bottom