"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Oh yeahhhhh.......I love that Tarte d' Alsace MA!!

Have you ever tried a bag the Orange Chicken in the frozen foods? It comes with separate pouches of sauce, that I always thin out with some orange juice to make it go further. It's really excellent served on top of steamed Jasmine rice. It's my favorite thing at TJ's. Another favorite there is the half sour pickles in the refrigerated section. Their selection of all kinds of cheeses at affordable prices is excellent too. On the down side, I bought an expensive "free range" whole chicken to roast and it didn't impress me at all for the price. For whole chicken, Foster Farm from the grocery at 67 cents a lb on sale, will continue to do me just fine.
I love Trader Joe's for so many things.

Good thread MA......I'm looking forward to others favorites too.
I recently discovered the orange chicken, it is delicious! I like to cook it until it is nice and brown and crisp, so good, I usually serve with basmati rice also from TJ's.

I usually dislike most frozen foods (with the exception of plain frozen vegetables) but the frozen foods that I have bought from TJ's have been excellent and better quality than the usual grocery store fare.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #12
Executive Chef

new guinea pea berry coffee
crispy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
triple ginger cookies
mega dark chocolate bar

Old 09-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
Flour Child

MSC...be sure to cook the Tarte d'Alsace the longest recommended time...at least. Because you want the crust nice and crisp. It should be a golden brown. I even go a little longer because my oven is slow.

And guess what? I just tried their Tarte Aux Champignons. (only $3.99)..same crust, same creme fraiche, but with Emmental Cheese sauce and then....DRUMROLL...the mushhhrooooms....Porcini, Paris Oyster, Shitake, and Boletus.....the whole flatbread is BURSTING with flavor! Delicieux

Robo...have you ever tried their dark chocolate with tons of salty pistachios all sticking out of it...and on it...and in it...and broken up randomly? And the green is so bright...would look good at Christmastime. YUM

4meandthem...mmm frozen herb squares...i'm soo going to look for those.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
Head Chef

Do they have fresh breads, like French Baguettes?

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
Head Chef

Two other items we like a lot are the pre-cooked chimmichurri rice and the mushroom risotto.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Do they have fresh breads, like French Baguettes?
They have all kinds of fresh breads. Baguettes, ciabatta, rolls, rustic breads, sandwich, lavash, pita, etc.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I haven't been there in a long while but they used to have the best lemon curd.. I need to go see if they have it still.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
I haven't been there in a long while but they used to have the best lemon curd.. I need to go see if they have it still.

They do! I just bought some today. It looks like I made a wise choice.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
GREAT~!!! Maybe I'll stop and get some on the way home tonight.

THANKS for letting me know!
Old 09-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

I usually buy lemon curd at the supermarket but saw TJ's curd today. It is lower priced than what I've been paying so I grabbed a jar.