"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #191
Senior Cook

great now i have to there tonight...i need to try that flatbread thingy on the first page.
I love their garlic cube things in the freezer section.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #192
Flour Child

I learned about the frozen garlic cubes here too and now it's a staple in my freezer. It's amazing how many things I add garlic to now...well it IS healthy, tastes as good, and same nutrition, so why not

From this link, 6 Things to Buy at Trader Joe's - CBS MoneyWatch.com , here are 6 things MoneyWatch says to buy at Trader Joe's: cheese, fresh flowers/plants, toilet paper, chocolate, nuts/trailmix, and maple syrup

And from this link: 4 Things Not to Buy at Trader Joe's - CBS MoneyWatch.com , here are 4 things MoneyWatch says NOT to buy at Trader Joe's: produce, wraps/sandwiches, sushi, and Two-Buck-Chuck-wine (well what are they expecting for 2 bucks...3 bucks on the east coast)

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #193
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Trader Joe's is Coming Soon
to These Locations:

Chicago (Lakeview), IL
Chicago (South Loop), IL
Kansas City, MO
Leawood, KS
Mt. Pleasant, SC
Pittsburgh, PA
Salem, OR
Spokane, WA
Staten Island, NY
Ventura, CA
Shrewsbury, NJ

...sorry CWS, maybe next time
although TJ's seems to be staying
within US borders for now
Ventura is blessed with TWO stores now. Remarkable, since we are not a large city. I wish everyone could have a TJ's. The brand new one is closer and bigger than the other one, so I'm a happy camper.
I found the best buns there, great for the monster hamburgers I did the other night.
They look like the large round floured rustic loaves of bread, but much flatter and about 7 inches across. Boy, do they ever toast up nicely in the broiler with olive oil, and are chewy good, holding up without falling apart. Tonight I'm using them for pulled pork sandwiches, they will hold up well to lots of sauce.
Yummm

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #194
Senior Cook

i am a garlic whore. I put garlic in everything. lol.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #195
Chef Extraordinaire

Went shopping at TJ"S today got our favorite sliced eggplant, it's breaded in small rounds we fry quickly in evoo then elbow each other to get to it. I love it sprinkled with melted butter and lemon and a little parm Yum we also got some canape turnover stuffed with mushrooms, a pizza with cheese and mushrooms, so me tiny potatoes about the size of a quarter, small cucumbers, fresh artichokes, evoo, so mini baauettes, proscuitto, I'm happy as a clam
kadesma
Old 04-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #196
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Not TJ's but we picked up some local made Chipotle and Mushroom Tamales...you don't even miss the meat in them.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #197
Senior Cook

Quote:
I learned about the frozen garlic cubes here too and now it's a staple in my freezer. It's amazing how many things I add garlic to now...well it IS healthy, tastes as good, and same nutrition, so why not

From this link, 6 Things to Buy at Trader Joe's - CBS MoneyWatch.com , here are 6 things MoneyWatch says to buy at Trader Joe's: cheese, fresh flowers/plants, toilet paper, chocolate, nuts/trailmix, and maple syrup

And from this link: 4 Things Not to Buy at Trader Joe's - CBS MoneyWatch.com , here are 4 things MoneyWatch says NOT to buy at Trader Joe's: produce, wraps/sandwiches, sushi, and Two-Buck-Chuck-wine (well what are they expecting for 2 bucks...3 bucks on the east coast)
I don't agree on the Things Not to Buy list: for one thing their bananas are a good buy as long as you don't take small ones and some of the produce is cheaper and better than in the supermarket, and the Two Buck Chuck is very good wine, my BF buys it all the time and a lot of people swear by it.

I don't know why they recommend their toilet paper. I tried it and was not impressed. Also, they have cut down on the varieties of nuts lately.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #198
Cupcake

Quote:

I did not like their TP, but agree with the rest. Their chocolate is very good.

On the not to buy list, their produce is hit or miss. I love that I can find hardy kiwis there when in season for a fraction of the cost that I find them elsewhere. I agree with the wraps/sandwiches & sushi. I want to like these items from TJ, but am usually disappointed. The two-buck chuck is decent enough to serve to others - and no one would guess what it is....unless they are a TJ fan.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:32 AM   #199
Cook

Their enchilada sauce is superb, as is their tuscan marinara sauce. Garlic naan, orange chicken, eggppant hummus, milk chocolate smores, almond thins, peach champagne, I can go on and on.

Our latest favorite are mango bars. They come in the perfect size too...only 60 calories each. Nom nom nom...now I want some.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:33 AM   #200
Senior Cook

Got something new tonight: Frozen Dessert with Coconut Milk which is like Coconut Milk Ice Cream.