"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #221
Certified Pretend Chef

You all know I'm a little crazy for lemon desserts. Well, SO brought home a box of TJ's Meyer Lemon Cookie Thins. They're super crisp and super thin with a great lemon flavor. I had them with milk but these would be great with tea or coffee too.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #222
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
We now have two Trader Joes stores locally in the Kansas Cit area and its a great place for Foodies to shop

Old 09-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #223
Master Chef

I also like their party mini frozen meat balls. They're great for making moink balls.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #224
Certified Pretend Chef

Reviving this old thread to say our local TJs just moved about a mile farther away into a huge new store that now sells wine and beer. They crossed the border from MA to NH.

Just got back. Bought a couple of bottles of Chuck wine, a sauv. Blanc and a chard for SO to try @$3.49 ea. On SO's recommendation I bought some frozen chicken and chilie verde burritos and some beefsteak and bean burritos. Both are quite good but the chicken and chilie verde burritos are super. Also picked up some veggies and other odds and ends.

I saw tri-tips in the meat case for the first time. I guess I should get one to see what all the fuss is about but I hesitate at a price of $6.99 a pound when the west coast folks get it at a third of the price on sale. They also had flatiron steaks which are uncommon here in the east.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #225
Executive Chef

"Two Buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw wines sold at TJ's for $1.99) is my house brand!
Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #226
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
"Two Buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw wines sold at TJ's for $1.99) is my house brand!

Two-Buck Chuck is now Three and a Half-Buck Chuck. I bought a bottle of each for SO to sample.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #227
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Two-Buck Chuck is now Three and a Half-Buck Chuck. I bought a bottle of each for SO to sample.
It's "Three Buck Chuck" for residents of New Mexico, $2.99/bottle.

I think it's "No Buck Chuck" in Utah, because IIRC there are no Trader Joe's there, and last time I visited they had state operated liquor stores.

Two Buck Chuck is still $1.99 in California and probably will remain that same for the foreseeable future.

Here's an interesting article some of you may enjoy reading:

Quote:
California's Wine Surprise
ABC World News, July 12, 2007

The connoisseurs may cringe, the snobs may even sob, but the judges have spoken: California's best chardonnay costs less than $3.

Charles Shaw Chardonnay, better known as "Two Buck Chuck," beat hundreds of other wines and was named the top prize in a prestigious tasting competition in California.

"The characteristics that we look for in our gold medal winner … a nice creamy butter, fruity … it was a delight to taste," said 2007 California State Fair Commercial Wine Competition judge Michael Williams.

The affordable wine beat out 350 other California chardonnays to win the double gold. Second place went to an $18 bottle, and the most expensive wines at the event, at the price of $55, didn't even medal.

To find this prize winner, you need not go to a fancy wine shop or elite retailer. Charles Shaw Chardonnay is mass-produced in California and only sold through the quirky Trader Joe's grocery stores.

... (read the full story here)
So don't anybody nay-say this wine without at least considering giving it a taste. It's not the best wine I've had, not even close, but it's surprisingly good considering the price.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #228
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Two Buck Chuck is $2.99 here in NC. Seems that the further you get from CA, the more it goes up, which makes sense considering the shipping cost.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #229
Certified Pretend Chef

SO had the Sauvignon Blanc tonight and said it was OK. It tasted like a house wine at a casual restaurant. I asked her if she'd make it her new standard wine and she wasn't sure yet.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #230
Master Chef

I used to buy flatiron steaks from TJ's but their's were always marinated. Then I started seeing them at our local grocery chain, plain, and stated getting those instead, as I prefer to season them myself. I was never too crazy about TJ's marinated meats, and that included tri-tips. They never sold them plain, non-marinated.