"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #251
Head Chef

It's reported here that TJ just opened a new place in Sarasota, about 70 miles north of us. Last Feb. they opened one in Naples, 30 miles south of us. With the price of gasoline, I'll probably have to wait until they get closer and just stay green with envy of you luckier shoppers.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #252
Cupcake

Welcome to DC, Kysmet!

TJs is one of my favorite places.

Though it is purely a convenience thing, I've been getting the plain penne pasta in the frozen food section at TJs. Two minutes in the microwave and it's ready for sauce, salad, or whatever you need a bit of pasta in.

I love so many of their products. It's so easy to over-buy!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #253
Master Chef

Lots of local folks discovered TJ's when all the major grocery chains in So Cal went on strike for several weeks back in 2003. Made converts out of many.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #254
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Lots of local folks discovered TJ's when all the major grocery chains in So Cal went on strike for several weeks back in 2003. Made converts out of many.
My sister was really p.o.ed. She couldn't find a parking spot and it was/is one of her regular places to shop for groceries.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #255
Master Chef

I think it was Andy who revived this old thread a while back, and once again I thought of our dear Mollyanne who started it so long ago. Her post today on the MIA thread made my day, that she's back home here again where she belongs.

My latest great find at TJ's is the frozen package of "Gnocchi al Gorgonzola" and I don't even really like Gnocchi, but I'll tell you what to do with it at tonight's dinner thread. Yes, this is a treasure hunt.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #256
Flour Child

Thank you kayelle Wow, seeing this thread is a blast from the past. Last night I made a dinner that was delicious, healthy, fast, and ALL the ingredients came from TJs.

It's a HIGH FIBER SPAGHETTI NOODLE AND SAUCE recipe that was inspired by a recipe from Dr. Weil. The noodles taste and cook up just like regular spaghetti even though there are 6 grms fiber to 2 grms of the other. (you don't need salt because the olives and capers are naturally salty). All ingredients are packed with nutrition. Serves 2

2 servings of TJ's High FIBER Spaghetti Noodles (6 grms of fiber per serving)
1 pkg TJ's Fresh High LYCOPENE Tomatoes from Holland (or plum tomatoes)
3 or 4 black olives (I use Kalamata) Black Olive Nutrition
1 tsp TJ's Capers - protein, fiber, iron
1 big clove of fresh garlic (i've been using TJ's fresh frozen cubes but I'm going to switch to back to fresh garlic cloves....slight difference in taste)
1 TBSP onions
1 cube of Basil (or 1/2C fresh leaves chopped)
1/8 tsp of red pepper flakes (a little goes a long way but they BURN FAT and add a kick of flavor)
1 tsp Olive Oil
OPTIONAL: mushrooms, onions, Sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, 1 fresh date for sweetness if you like a bit sweeter sauce (raw agave or pure maple syrup also works)

I just wash the tomatoes, slice them in bite-sized pieces and heat them up in the sauce pan with all the ingredients. I don't want to cook all the nutrition out so I don't worry about thickening the sauce. Add it to the cooked noodles and enjoy.

I got tired of listing nutritional facts on each item but they're all packed with nutrition for various reasons. You can google nutrition benefits for each.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #257
Flour Child

Today's News 9/23/12:

WASHINGTON (AP) The grocery store chain Trader Joe's is recalling peanut butter that has been linked to 29 salmonella illnesses in 18 states.
The Food and Drug Administration and the federal Centers for Disease Control said Saturday that the store's Creamy Salted Valencia Peanut Butter, which is sold nationwide, is the likely source of the outbreak. The agencies are investigating whether any other items sold at the store could be contaminated.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #258
Chef Extraordinaire

I buy a locally made PB right in the town over. Teddi PB. Natural with or without salt or Creamy with or without salt. I prefer the Natural. Just have to stir every time you want to use it.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #259
Head Chef

Has anyone mentioned 2 Buck Chuck (now 3 bucks.)??
Old 09-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #260
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Has anyone mentioned 2 Buck Chuck (now 3 bucks.)??
And two buck chuck is......?