"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #21
Master Chef

oh yeahhhhhh, I forgot about the lemon curd.......delicious with a little mound on a cookie, or on a cream cheese slathered bagel with lemon curd on the top. Geeze, what happened to my diet?

I also forgot to mention their frozen little Pork Shu Mai Asian dumplings...
just delicious on their own, or to round out a stir fry dinner.

I definitely am making a shopping list from this thread for my next trip to TJ's!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #22
Flour Child

Thanks kayelle...i was just getting ready to ask what everyone is doing with their Lemon Curd. I vaguely remember a country neighbor giving me her homemade lemon curd many moons ago and I didn't know what to do with it but tasted yummyyummy. I think I put it on toast or some boring thing like that.

I've had their Pork Shu Mai Dumplings (store tasting sample) and yes, very very good! But I opted to buy their Chicken Shu Mai...don't get that...it didn't taste like anything but ginger. The pork one is 100% better...excellent.

I had their Thai Shrimp with Green Curry & Jasmine Rice ($2.99) today for lunch. Excellent! I can't take that much heat but for most people this is delicious! Well, it was delicious for me too...in a small quantity. Also of note: I added a teensy water to the jasmine rice while heating it up to insure moistness...but it may have been fine without my help.

It's enough for two people (although it says one). Ingredients (right off the label in order) are jasmine rice, coconut milk, green curry paste, shallots lemongrass, coriander, root chili, garlic, galangal, shrimp paste, thai lime, coriander seed, fennel seed, salt, tumeric powder, anchovy, palm sugar, thai lime leaf, sweet basil leaf, shrimp, and wedges of pea eggplant. ...phew, that's a lot but all works together beautifully! Nothing else added.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Tarte d'Alsace report.

I went to TJ's Friday for something to do and bought this tarte and the mushroom one. We hat the tarte d'Alsace this afternoon with cocktails and it was delicious. Really very good. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #24
Flour Child

Glad you liked it, Andy.
Kayelle, I bought some Orange Chicken as you suggested. I can't wait to try it!

WOW...I just served Trader Joe's French Country Potatoes with Haricots Verts & Wild Mushrooms with scrambled eggs, melon, and hot coffee for breakfast...and it was unbelievably delicious! You get a 16 oz. bag for 2.99...good deal! I heated them in the frying pan with some olive oil but you can microwave them if you want. Serve them for breakfast or with meats...anytime!

Ingredients:
Pre-fried Potatoes (sliced and taste fresh!), Mushrooms (button, boletus, chantrelle), Green Beans, Sauce (sunflower oil, garlic, salt, vegetable broth made with carrots onions leeks water and spices), wheat dextrose, Parsley, Onions, Pepper, and Paprika.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Never been to Trader Joes, we do not have one here. Wish we did, have heard a lot about them.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

I view TJs as a specialty store. They have too high a percentage of prepared/frozen foods for it to be my primary supplier of weekly groceries. The quality of their products has been very good with the things I've tried so far. Picking up an occasional tarte, lemon curd or bag of trail mix or other treat is probably the extent of my shopping.

On the other hand, my younger daughter shops their as her primary source and loves it.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #27
Flour Child

I just recently discovered Trader Joe's (the store is new to our area) so I'm like a kid in a candy store. I'm finding that their frozen foods can't be compared to that of our Harris Teeter grocery store. I won't buy a frozen dinner from a regular grocery store...well, except one, Michaelangelo's Eggplant Parmigan (better than any restaurant's).

Our Trader Joe's only has one aisle of frozen foods (and that includes icecream, desserts, veggies, breakfast and dinner items, etc...all below the waist...not in tall freezers). There are some prepared refrigerated items along the wall in the deli section. But then that's it. Their prices, in some cases, are lower than if I tried to prepare it myself.

I bought a super flavorful Organic Woodfired Sicilian Roasted Red Pepper Pizza with Provolone & Pearl Mozzarella Cheese (wheat crust) for $4 that is big enough to serve three (10" diameter). It comes with a packet of Roasted Red Pepper Infused Olive Oil to drizzle on yourself in desired amount since it has a kick to it. I bet you can't get a burger and fries for that amount at McDonalds...and that only feeds one!
(ps...you can always add more roasted veggies to it too)

They don't have paper goods, cleaning products, etc etc so i can't use it as a primary grocery store

Old 09-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #28
Master Chef

I have my list all ready to visit TJ's today!!

Mollyann, this isn't really food related (well, maybe it is) but you have to try "Kiss My Face" peaches and cream moisturizer. It has a really lovely fresh peach scent and it promotes kisses, which can't be a bad thing.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #29
Flour Child

...thank you for that tip, GF!
Do they sell it in BULK supply?
haha..."Kiss My Face"
I could use a dab on my neck, my shoulder,
oh, and the back of my hand...don't you
just melt when a man holds your fingertips
and kisses the back of your hand? Well,
okay, that's only in the movies...
Did you see the restaurant scene with
Johnny Depp in in the beginning of the
movie called Don Juan de Marco?
Check it out (rated PG)...

Old 09-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
...well, except one, Michaelangelo's Eggplant Parmigan (better than any restaurant's)...

I have to agree. Got a free sample of the stuff at Costco and bought some. It's very tasty.