Favorite Item from Trader Joe's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tried the Orange Chicken tonight.Baked it then tossed with the sauce.I added some sesame seeds.

Great! Less breading than most take out places.

We tried the Mushroom tarte tonight and it was great!
Not just good but great! Almost a cracker crust.

We also tried the red pepper one but i added some salami and mexican cheese.Very good too but hard to comment on since I changed it.more of a traditional crust.Crunchy!

TJ's pesto is the best. Where I live I am not always able to get fresh basil, so when I go to Reno, NV I buy TJ's pesto and put it in the freezer. This is especially handy in the winter when the weather is too bad to drive to Reno.

4meandthem, glad you liked it. You didn't miss that little packet of hot red pepper infused olive oil did you? It just floats free in the box and easy to miss. Once you taste it you can't miss the flavor though can you

sierracook, I love Pesto and run out in the winter. Thanks for that tip!

MSC, I tried the Mushroom Risotto...mmm mmm good! And it has those rare porcini mushrooms in it that are usually expensive. Good value, great taste!

NAchef, i feel your pain...but cheer up, it's just a matter of time before you get a Trader Joe's. I mean they're in the east and west and franchise numbers are growing.

kayelle, I asked my daughter what she made for her boyfriend for dinner while I was out. She said, chicken wings. I said, but I don't have any chicken wings. She said, yeah ya do, the leftovers are in the fridge. I looked and found some morsels of the chicken chunks from Trader Joe's Orange Chicken dinner and the unused sauce packet...grrr...kids! I did manage to put together a smal tester plate and they are grrreat!

pd's wife, i'm off to buy some lemon curd today...my first purchase of lemon curd :)

I'm going today and will also check out the crushers and the frozen garlic.

I tried the Orange Chicken tonight.Baked it then tossed with the sauce.I added some sesame seeds.

Great! Less breading than most take out places.

4me, I've never done the oven method, but do mine in a skillet with a little oil. I put the sauce from the packets in a bowl, add about 1/2 cup of orange juice and heat it in the micro. When the chicken is done, I sprinkle some on sliced green onions, pour on the heated sauce, and serve the whole thing over steamed jasmine rice. I really like that the yummy sauce can be extended enough to flavor the rice. I gotta remember to use the sesame seeds sometime, I've often added sliced almonds on the top. Glad you liked it.

Too funny MA!! did she wonder where the bones went?

Last edited:
I've purchased an Herbed Rice mix that was really really good and I love their frozen oatmeal. It's the only oatmeal I can eat a whole portion of.

We just finished the mushroom flatbread. Another great choice. If I had one complaint, it would be that the crust was a little too chewy near the center.

Now SO is hooked and wants me to find out what else they have!

Andy, does she like spicy Thai food? Trader Joe's True Thai Tom Yam Soup with Spinach Mushroom Wontons is great...i think. I mean I don't like spicy foods so I left out the packet they included of 2 skinny red hot chilis, thai basil leaves, and lemongrass. It was really tasty without it but still a little spicy for me...delicious though for thai lovers.

Package says, Imagine yourself sitting on the banks of the Chao Phraya in Central Thailand. Ingredients are: water, wheatflour, coconut milk, carrot, spinach, onion, lemongrass, waterchestnut, turnip, red chili, mushroom, lemonjuice, and soysauce.

Andy, does she like spicy Thai food? Trader Joe's True Thai Tom Yam Soup with Spinach Mushroom Wontons is great...i think. I mean I don't like spicy foods so I left out the packet they included of 2 skinny red hot chilis, thai basil leaves, and lemongrass. It was really tasty without it but still a little spicy for me...delicious though for thai lovers.

Package says, Imagine yourself sitting on the banks of the Chao Phraya in Central Thailand. Ingredients are: water, wheatflour, coconut milk, carrot, spinach, onion, lemongrass, waterchestnut, turnip, red chili, mushroom, lemonjuice, and soysauce.

Yes she does but doesn't like that soup. I make it myself and she doesn't like it. I'll check out the options next time I go.

I still have some Chinese dumplings I got at the Asian market that I have to cook up.

When I lived on the West Coast, our TJ was such that one could have used it as the primary store. Here, the TJ stores are much smaller. That being said, I love going to them. Some of my favorite items have been mentioned, but two that haven't been are the crispy string beans that you eat like chips. A bit too salty and such to eat all of the time, but yummy. I also like the frozen mushroom medley. It's a good way to get a variety of mushrooms into mushroom dishes and soups with no effort. :chef:

I wish I could get wine in stores here. :ermm:

When I lived on the West Coast, our TJ was such that one could have used it as the primary store. Here, the TJ stores are much smaller. That being said, I love going to them. Some of my favorite items have been mentioned, but two that haven't been are the crispy string beans that you eat like chips. A bit too salty and such to eat all of the time, but yummy. I also like the frozen mushroom medley. It's a good way to get a variety of mushrooms into mushroom dishes and soups with no effort. :chef:

I wish I could get wine in stores here. :ermm:

I forgot about that frozen mushroom medley Kathleen !! I once made a killer cream of mushroom soup with it, so thanks for the reminder.

*adding frozen mushroom medley to my list*...thanks kathleen

I just put together this "recipe" using these products and it was scrumptious:

Martini's Kalamata Olives
(TJ's had 2 brands but I chose the one with less
additives in the ingredients...and anyone with the
name "Martini" must be good ;) )

Aiello's Marinated Celigene Mozzarella Cheese
(marinade is extra virgin olive oil, Garlic,
Oregano, Basil, Parsley, and Red Pepper)

Trader Joe's Giant White Beans aka Fasolia Gigantes
"A Traditional Greek Recipe"...comes in a jar
(ingredients include onion, sunflower oil, carrots,
tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, salt, parsley, pepper)

Pearl Tomatoes
(similar to cherry tomatoes)

Add these in equal amounts with finely sliced Onions,
chopped Fresh Italian Parsley, and Avocado (optional).
Be generous with the oil marinade (that is in with the mozzarella).
I cut the olives/tomatoes/mozzarella up in halves or fourths
so the marinade coated everything well.

Eat it "as is" as a side bean dish OR on pasta or salad.
Serve with TJ's Charles Shaw Merlot
(i think red or white wine would go with this dish)

Last edited:
MollyAnne, would that side dish hold up for a day or two under refrigeration?

Kayelle, I'll bet the mushroom medley would make a fabulous mushroom soup. I'll have to try it!

Without the avocados, it would last even longer than 2 days under refrigeration...I would say a week. But if you use avocados in it then add a little lemon juice to help retain it's color and then, with that, I'd give it 2 days.

Bummer...I went to Trader Joe's, list in hand, "kiss-my-face-moisturizer" on my list, and the cute guy in the hawaiian shirt with the question mark sign told me they no longer carry it :(. I saw "kiss-my-face-shampoo" at my regular grocery store but no moisturizer. They were also out of the dried mushrooms :(. But they must have had SOMEthing in stock because my bill was $165.00 :shock: but I scored :punk:!

I got the frozen garlic! :)

I also bought Langostino Tails (12 oz. peeled and cooked from Chile)...now what do I do with them? I think I had them at the Luna Cafe served over pasta in a red bellpepper alfredo sauce with fresh green peas (i thought they were extra yummy shrimp at the time).

phew...thank you both for the "kiss-my-face-moisturizer" website! As soon as I get some I'm going back to the cute Hawaiian-shirted guy and pucker up...i'll let you know if it works :LOL:

By the way...I bought and tasted their frozen Greek Style Chicken and it was excellent (grilled sliced chicken on a bed of risotto, feta, and kalamata olives)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom