"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-14-2014, 11:18 PM   #331
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I have a Cuisinart Grind and Brew coffee maker. I like FRESH ground just before brewing. I like Fairway fresh in store roasted whole beans. I love going in when they are roasting the beans. They have the roaster right in the little coffee and loose tea section in front of the barrels of beans so you can watch. The whole store smells like heaven.
I want to say that coffee is better every morning if you grind the beans JUST BEFORE you make your coffee, but my critical judgement tells me that if I could ever tell the difference--I used to believe I could in my 30s--now in my 60s I can't tell the difference between just ground it this minute vs ground a whole week's worth of coffee.

As I implied, perhaps when you're young you can tell and maybe when you get older you can't tell the difference between fresh ground and week old ground.

Two things for sure: (1) There is NO ground coffee that tastes as good as grinding my own beans--with the sole exception of TJ's Pinon coffee, which is not available in bean form, and (2) At my age and presumably declining taste grinding every day doesn't get me anything, but I certainly still love my morning coffee! In fact a few years ago I was drinking a big cup of coffee every day, but for the last year or so I have an entire POT of coffee every day, and I enjoy it more and more. And I've had NO problems sleeping. What I mean to say is that I'm enjoying my morning coffee more than I did in my youth, I drink a lot more, and I've had no negative side effects.

And the scientific experiments continue coming in, either more coffee is good for you, or just a cup a day is good for you, but not drinking coffee at all is beneficial only if you have sleep problems that avoiding consuming coffee cures.

So I've just prepared my morning coffee pot: one scoop of TJ Pinon (the end of my supply) and two scoops of WFM Mocha-Java, enough to make one big pot of coffee, and first thing tomorrow morning (even before letting my dog out) I hit the switch! (Second priority is letting the dog out, third is turning on Fox News Network on the TV.) By then I usually can get about a half-cup out of the coffee maker and consume the day's new headlines as my pot finishes brewing.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #332
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
You can get pot stickers all over. Lot less expensive at Asian markets if you have 'em.
Quote:
Cheese? There are only two places in the universe to get cheese: Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market.
Really, Greg?

Old 05-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #333
Head Chef

Saw this on the net about Trader Joes.

A Stunning Look at the 17 Top Selling Items at Trader Joe's
Old 05-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #334
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Not surprised about the Charles Shaw wine. I see people buying them by the case sometimes.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #335
Head Chef

Quote:
You can get pot stickers all over. Lot less expensive at Asian markets if you have 'em.

My Asian markets do carry pot stickers. But they don't carry LingLing brand--- the brand Costco (and some Safeways) carry.

I think LingLing brand is cheaper, mostly bigger and just as good or better than any I tried from my Asian market.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #336
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Not surprised about the Charles Shaw wine. I see people buying them by the case sometimes.
When I was drinking wine I used this wine for cooking.

Now that I'm no longer drinking wine, I still use it for cooking.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #337
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I sometimes buy multiple cases of Shaw. In fact I rarely leave the store without 2-3 cases of wine, usually 2 Shaws and 1 of mixed.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #338
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
When I was drinking wine I used this wine for cooking.

Now that I'm no longer drinking wine, I still use it for cooking.
]

Julia Child said never cook with any wine you wouldn't drink.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #339
Master Chef

I don't like Charles Shaw. Does that make me a wine snob? Just checking.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #340
Head Chef

Quote:
]

Julia Child said never cook with any wine you wouldn't drink.
That's usually a good rule to follow---- but years ago we got gleaning privileges at the vineyard of a prestigious winery in CA.

We made our own 100% Cabernet then proceeded to store in the attic of the garage where it simmered all summer!

It had sludge in the bottom an inch thick and was murky. But it made the best (THE BEST) spaghetti sauce ever!

When we got down to the last dozen bottles friends started offering to buy a bottle from us!!!!