"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #351
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Thanks for the tip about the refillable grinder!

I was looking at TJ's spices today after reading a thread about spicy food. The refillable jar appeals to my frugal nature!

I need to stop in and see if my Trader Joe's has the Rainbow Peppercorns mixture of Brazilian Pink, Indian Green, Malaysian White and Indian Black Tellicherry Peppercorns. I would like to be able to add a few allspice berries to the peppercorns and see how that tastes.
Glad you like the idea AB. It not only appeals to my frugal nature, but I'll be glad to have an empty one to quickly grind up spices I'd normally have to grind in my dedicated coffee grinder.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:08 PM   #352
Senior Cook

I like their red palm oil {great butter substitute} , the price is the best part of it, before I found theirs for under $9.99 a jar I used to buy at a local market for almost double what they charge, and TJs seems to be better quality...

I also like their 21 seasoning salute, it is great for a fast seasoning mix, I like cutting some steak tips, wiping them with melted butter, sprinkling them with the 21 ss, and grilling them up super fast, so it crisp-ies them up a bit, the inside is red outside dark and crunchy, MMMMMMM Yum... Its a busy seasoning, and works well when heated, I have yet to see the meat that it doesn't compliment, chicken, fish, sword, lobster, crab, turkey, pork, stews, tips, strips, roasts, brisket, etc etc etc stuff is good, and the best part ITS 2 BUCKS A BOTTLE!!!!!! Such a nice spice for $2 a bottle, is insane...

Old 01-30-2015, 10:16 PM   #353
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Glad you like the idea AB. It not only appeals to my frugal nature, but I'll be glad to have an empty one to quickly grind up spices I'd normally have to grind in my dedicated coffee grinder.
Just wanted to mention, I do the same with Penzey's
Old 01-31-2015, 12:42 AM   #354
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
...I'm picking up the South African Smoke on my next trip..
I have that one and love it on chicken breasts! I have a sample jar of Penzeys' Berbere that is too hot-spicy for me, so Himself gets that one. I'm perfectly happy with the African Smoke. I also have a small selection of different smoked salts (maple, hickory, etc) that I got at a spice shop in, of all place, Coshocton, OH.

Thanks for the tip on reusing the grinders. I figured the TJ's ones were like others - one use and pitch.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:46 PM   #355
Master Chef

I love their bagged greens and baby spinach.

I will be making a TJ run soon for turbinado sugar, baby spinach, freeze dried strawberries, mesquite honey and egg noodles. It will probably cost me $100.00!! LOL I always find things new or things I forgot I was getting low on till I walk down the isle. DD loves the "clusters" cereal.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:14 PM   #356
Assistant Cook

I love their almond milk (doesn't have the chalky flavor that some others have), frozen croissants (kouigns amann, pumpkin, almond), Mediterranean hummus, Persian cucumbers, ice cream, whole grain pita chips, honey wheat pretzel sticks, onion dip mix, vanilla almond "just the clusters" granola, coconut oil spray.. I could go on and on! Love trader joes, wish they had stuff like ziplocs and all that so it could be my primary store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2015, 08:36 PM   #357
Master Chef

I forgot the coconut oil spray, coffee ice cream (intense coffee flavor) and eggnog (doesn't have that chemical after taste).
Old 01-31-2015, 10:53 PM   #358
Master Chef

Mmm...I'm going to have to try to dried porcini mushrooms idea, Kay. I love mushrooms and would like to have a dried sub when I don't have fresh, since they only keep for about an hour....

I can't recall anything I've bought from TJ's that I didn't like....although there must be something! I love their hummus too...the eggplant hummus is fabulous, as is their roasted red pepper. Their cheese section is great - they have such a good selection, and the prices are so much better than I can get in my local supermarket. I love their smoked gouda.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #359
Master Chef

I grind my dry porcinis in my mini FP and put in a Tupperware "midget" (that's what they were called when mom was a Tupperware dealer) container. I keep it in the fridge and sprinkle the powder in meatloaf mixture, soups, pot roast simmering broth, gravies etc.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:21 PM   #360
Master Chef

I remember the 'midgets' from way back when!
I seriously need to get some dried porcinis...thanks MsMofet for another testimonial. I'm sure I'd love them in so many dishes.