"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #71
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Huh? The only thing I understood was over priced sea salt. I can't imagine not being able to find anything to like at TJ's, but to each their own.
Me either, Kayelle. Around here, TJ has lots of healthy items, and is definitely cheaper for what they have than elsewhere. Maybe it is a regional issue. My mother lives in a place where one can obtain fresh foods that are healthier at small Mom and Pop markets. We do not have so many of that kind of thing here....definitely not cheaper than TJ.

~Kathleen

Old 10-11-2010, 03:58 AM   #72
Flour Child

I have to agree with both kathleen and kayelle...Trader Joe's items are healthy and very very reasonably priced. Their prepared items use
quality, natural ingredients:
NO artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
NO genetically modified ingredients
NO MSG
NO added Trans Fats

(The only negative would be the salt content but you don't have to eat more than one prepared item a day and use their fresh ingredients the rest of the day. You can also use a healthy portion and add a salad or fresh veggie and fruit)

Their Cioppini seafood stew is impressive! High in protein and low in fat.
Full of good quality seafood...cod, shrimp, scallops, and mussels, and they don't scrimp on the portions of seafood. The tomato sauce boils down to a thick consistency. One bag serves two if you add a small salad and bread (or pour it over rice...spanish rice works well). Serving a high quality meal such as this for two for 4.99 is a deal!

The recipe for Cioppini was originally created in San Francisco for their Italian restaurants according to wiki.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #73
Master Chef

if yins only knew
Old 10-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #74
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Huh? The only thing I understood was over priced sea salt. I can't imagine not being able to find anything to like at TJ's, but to each their own.
thier food was a blantant disappointment
Old 10-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #75
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
went there via obligation last winter, during this blizzard, when 'iggle was closed by 4:45 & that. i was thoughol, thoroughly un-impressed by thier food.
i ain't getting this hoopla 'bout thier items. i found citterio fresco bresoala there, & over-priced seasalt; then, other than that....... :(
I respect your right to your own opinion but you've only been once? ...during a blizzard? Perhaps they weren't at their peak performance. Your Piggly Wiggly store was closed for a reason...yes? At least TJ's was open. How was the "citterio fresco bresoala"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs
if yins only knew
Knew what? Please edjeecate us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs
thier food was a blantant disappointment
You've only been once. If you got the Korean Short Ribs then I can understand. No place is perfect at all times.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #76
Master Chef

I wanted to check out the brand new TJ's just a couple of blocks from where I work so I shopped there last night after getting off work. Nice, big store, wide aisles, with validated parking. I purchased a six pak of Black Toad beer and some gorgonzola cheese. I also saw some marinated tri-tips in the meat counter. I will try that next time.
Roadfix was very happy with this TJ's.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #77
Master Chef

we ain't got piggly this-&-that's; i'm a northerner; yepper, i am permitted opinions, & that snow, that arrived that afternoon, so that excuse, huh-uh; those others were quite smart & cut thier losses so as 2 keep people well; & i ain't givin info unless yins would luv 2 pay my schooling funds~
& that bresoala was less than i am accustomed 2 from my other places~
Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #78
Half Baked

I could probably throw you a few bones for some GE courses if your interested.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #79
Master Chef

I'll donate funds too.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #80
Master Chef

i've a great monger from elsewhere's; thanks, though