Favorite Item from Trader Joe's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SO had the Sauvignon Blanc tonight and said it was OK. It tasted like a house wine at a casual restaurant. I asked her if she'd make it her new standard wine and she wasn't sure yet.

SO Tried the Chardonnay and liked it. Now she's trying the Pinot Grigio.

I used to buy flatiron steaks from TJ's but their's were always marinated. Then I started seeing them at our local grocery chain, plain, and stated getting those instead, as I prefer to season them myself. I was never too crazy about TJ's marinated meats, and that included tri-tips. They never sold them plain, non-marinated.

We were back at TJs today and I saw the tri-tip in plain and marinated versions.

SO Tried the Chardonnay and liked it. Now she's trying the Pinot Grigio.
I tried the Two Buck Chuck sauvignon blanc last night and it was really good! I've decided to revise my "chardonnay only" policy and add some SV to my new wine diet.

We were back at TJs today and I saw the tri-tip in plain and marinated versions.
I had a TJ's cryo-vac rib eye steak tonight and it was really good, and a good price. I recall it was about $7-8/pound...

How do the English resolve price per pound? As pounds per pound? Would that be a unit-less number, like a ratio? Give us 7 pounds of your silver and we'll give you 1 pound of steak? Price: 7:1 ??? (7 pounds/pound?)

Last edited:
Our favorite new recent wine discovery from TJ's is Coco Bon...$6.99.
And we still buy their $1.99 Two Buck Chucks.....always a good deal.

And Andy you're right about the non-marinated tri tips. I guess I really never paid attention to them because they were always priced much higher than the local grocers.

...And Andy you're right about the non-marinated tri tips. I guess I really never paid attention to them because they were always priced much higher than the local grocers.

What's a normal, non-sale price for tri-tip around your area?

BTW I had a TJ's cryo-vac* packed rib eye steak tonight, $7.49/lb., was very good. I like that the steaks are not cut huge (in my case 0.75 lb).

*fresh - not sure if the term implies frozen, it was an evacuated shrinked package.

I'm THRILLED that Staten Island finally has a TJ's. I'm in there almost once a week. My staples are:

Sugar Snap Peas (produce section, love to snack on them straight from the bag)
Country Potatoes with Haricot Verts and Mushrooms is an excellent side dish
Frozen Rice Medley (Brown Rice, Red Rice, Black Barley) 3 portions in microwave bags
Frozen Sliced Leeks (awesome throw in for soups, no cleaning needed!)
Frozen Haricot Verts
Thai Shrimp Gyoza
Cottage Cheese
Organic Coconut Oil
Kalamata Olive Hummus
Turkey Burgers
Chili Lime Chicken Burgers
Steel Cut Oats (frozen portions easy to pop in the microwave)
Multi Grain Sandwich Thins (as buns for the burgers)
Pineapple Juice (cardboard carton in the refrigerated section)
Triple Berry O's cereal
The most amazing dessert I've ever had: Macaron aux Framboises, if you have not had it you MUST try it! very light fluffly layers of cake, with layers of light cream and whole raspberries. Topped with a light dusting of toasted coconut. It's frozen and you just take it out and let it defrost about 45 minutes. Its a small cake, perfect for 2 or even 3, if you put it on a plate with some raspberry sauce, ( or warm raspberry preserves) drizzled on, you would think you were just served from a ridiculously high end restaurant. Its not heavy and not sickly sweet, its a perfect meal ending.
Cranberry Walnut Tart and Raspberry Tart are both great, they have the richest, most buttery shortbread crust, which pairs with the tartness of the cranberry or raspberry perfectly.
In the fall/winter I practically live on the Lentil Soup with Ancient Grains for lunch. It comes in a plastic container in the produce section where they have the sushi. The tomato soup they have in that same section which also comes in a plastic container is just as good, the exact name escapes me.
I know there's more that I usually get, and have as favorites but this is all I can think of right now lol.

It's reported here that TJ just opened a new place in Sarasota, about 70 miles north of us. Last Feb. they opened one in Naples, 30 miles south of us. With the price of gasoline, I'll probably have to wait until they get closer and just stay green with envy of you luckier shoppers. :D

Welcome to DC, Kysmet!

TJs is one of my favorite places.

Though it is purely a convenience thing, I've been getting the plain penne pasta in the frozen food section at TJs. Two minutes in the microwave and it's ready for sauce, salad, or whatever you need a bit of pasta in.

I love so many of their products. It's so easy to over-buy!

Lots of local folks discovered TJ's when all the major grocery chains in So Cal went on strike for several weeks back in 2003. Made converts out of many.
My sister was really p.o.ed. She couldn't find a parking spot and it was/is one of her regular places to shop for groceries.

I think it was Andy who revived this old thread a while back, and once again I thought of our dear Mollyanne who started it so long ago. Her post today on the MIA thread made my day, that she's back home here again where she belongs.:clap:

My latest great find at TJ's is the frozen package of "Gnocchi al Gorgonzola" and I don't even really like Gnocchi, but I'll tell you what to do with it at tonight's dinner thread. Yes, this is a treasure hunt. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Thank you kayelle :wub: Wow, seeing this thread is a blast from the past. Last night I made a dinner that was delicious, healthy, fast, and ALL the ingredients came from TJs.

It's a HIGH FIBER SPAGHETTI NOODLE AND SAUCE recipe that was inspired by a recipe from Dr. Weil. The noodles taste and cook up just like regular spaghetti even though there are 6 grms fiber to 2 grms of the other. (you don't need salt because the olives and capers are naturally salty). All ingredients are packed with nutrition. Serves 2

2 servings of TJ's High FIBER Spaghetti Noodles (6 grms of fiber per serving)
1 pkg TJ's Fresh High LYCOPENE Tomatoes from Holland (or plum tomatoes)
3 or 4 black olives (I use Kalamata) Black Olive Nutrition
1 tsp TJ's Capers - protein, fiber, iron
1 big clove of fresh garlic (i've been using TJ's fresh frozen cubes but I'm going to switch to back to fresh garlic cloves....slight difference in taste)
1 TBSP onions
1 cube of Basil (or 1/2C fresh leaves chopped)
1/8 tsp of red pepper flakes (a little goes a long way but they BURN FAT and add a kick of flavor)
1 tsp Olive Oil
OPTIONAL: mushrooms, onions, Sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, 1 fresh date for sweetness if you like a bit sweeter sauce (raw agave or pure maple syrup also works)

I just wash the tomatoes, slice them in bite-sized pieces and heat them up in the sauce pan with all the ingredients. I don't want to cook all the nutrition out so I don't worry about thickening the sauce. Add it to the cooked noodles and enjoy.

I got tired of listing nutritional facts on each item but they're all packed with nutrition for various reasons. You can google nutrition benefits for each.

Last edited:
Today's News 9/23/12:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The grocery store chain Trader Joe's is recalling peanut butter that has been linked to 29 salmonella illnesses in 18 states.
The Food and Drug Administration and the federal Centers for Disease Control said Saturday that the store's Creamy Salted Valencia Peanut Butter, which is sold nationwide, is the likely source of the outbreak. The agencies are investigating whether any other items sold at the store could be contaminated.

I buy a locally made PB right in the town over. Teddi PB. Natural with or without salt or Creamy with or without salt. I prefer the Natural. Just have to stir every time you want to use it. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom