Favorite Item from Trader Joe's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wine. Not bad, either. A friend brought me a bottle. There is no TJs around here, so she went up in Atlanta while visiting her daughter.

Has anyone mentioned 2 Buck Chuck (now 3 bucks.)??
Yes, if you scroll back you will see discussions regarding 2 Buck Chuck ....notably posts 224-229 and 241-244. I'm sure there are more if you scroll back further.

If you click on "Search" above and type in "2 buck chuck" or "two buck chuck" then it will highlight those words throughout the thread for you.

:)

PrincessFiona60 said:
It costs an extra $ to cross the Mississippi...:LOL:

You're right, PF! Our nearest TJ's is Chicago area, and it's 3 bucks!

Yes, if you scroll back you will see discussions regarding 2 Buck Chuck ....notably posts 224-229 and 241-244. I'm sure there are more if you scroll back further.

If you click on "Search" above and type in "2 buck chuck" or "two buck chuck" then it will highlight those words throughout the thread for you.

:)

I'll pass. It is not that important to me. Evidently before I joined. :angel:

L.A. and I decided to have a trial separation and I moved to Santa Fe, but now L.A. and I have reconciled. SF had just one TJ's, and Two Buck Chuck was $2.99. Now back in the big bad city my TBC is just $1.99. I feel kind of guilty. I have four TJ's that I shop at regularly (Encino, Granada Hills, Chatsworth and Simi) and there's 3-4 more of them within easy driving distance (Studio City, and I think Woodland Hills, and maybe a few more, too many to count here in the big bad city). I pick whichever one fits in my routing on a shopping day, depends on what other stores I'm including. (I'll have to find that WH location--I can load up on electronics at Fry's and then load up on foodie stuff at TJ's.) I've totally flip-flopped after years and years of Chardonnay, and now I'm almost 100% Sauvignon Blanc. I have no idea why my taste changed... BTW Fresh and Easy recently had a sale on their Big Kahuna [brand] wines, normally $1.99 (to compete with TJ's?) on sale for $0.99!!! I bought a case for less than $12! F&E's Kahuna chardonnay is the most undistinctive chardonnay I've had in my entire life. But certainly worth 99 cents! I can take it to Maria's Italian Kitchen on free corkage Thursdays and have a bottle of wine with dinner for about 1/5 the price of a glass of wine from the house. Although it does challenge the free corkage envelope... since Kahuna is a screw top. Would that be free screwage? ;)

Since the title of this line is "Favorite Item From TJ", I can honestly say it is not Peanut Butter! But then I don't shop at TJ's anyway. Too far out of my shopping area. :angel:

I love the TJ peanut butter. And the crunchy PB with toasted flax seeds.

I feel kind of guilty. I have four TJ's that I shop at regularly (Encino, Granada Hills, Chatsworth and Simi) and there's 3-4 more of them within easy driving distance (Studio City, and I think Woodland Hills, and maybe a few more, too many to count here in the big bad city).

No reason to feel guilty. Seemed like TJ's really exploded here after the long supermarket strike back in 2003. You're not too far from where I am. I regularly shop at the Hollywood and the Silverlake locations as they are on my route to and from work. Other convenient close by locations are Burbank and Glendale.
Sherman Oaks has a couple stores, closer than Studio City for you perhaps. My daughter lives in Sherman Oaks and she walks to TJ's. She always turns me on to new items she finds, especially from their wine dept.

Yeah TJ's did get a surge during the supermarket strike, but I was a customer long before that. I used to live within walking distance of TJ's back in the early '70s when I had one of my first apartments. I sometimes amuse the store employees at that location when I tell them TJ's used to have a fresh meat department with real butchers where the cash registers are now.

I shop in SO all the time, often go to WFM there if my travails take me to south Valley instead of north Valley WFM where I usually go. I often go to markets where my optimum routing takes me rather than the nearest location. Gas is so expensive that it makes sense to plan all your shopping trips to minimize total distance rather than maximizing convenience.

It was Encino, on Burbank Blvd. @ White Oak. Trader Joe's got out of the fresh meat market business a couple decades ago. IIRC it was late '70s when they remodeled the store and the fresh meat/seafood counter went.

Yeah, TJ's at Riverside and Hazeltine. I totally forgot about that one. Then there's Toluka Lake and Studio City and Gawd we have so many TJs here you have to get out a map to decide which one to shop at!

And every single one of them is crowded and you can't get through the aisles with your cart and the lines are long....

That's why I feel guilty when other forum members complain that the nearest TJ's is 100 miles away. Here in the big bad city we have too many to count, and I don't even know about TJ's out of San Fernando Valley except the ones in Simi Valley and Santa Clarita Vally. And this is just a small (but significant) part of L.A.

That's why I moved back to the big bad city. Too much is better than too little. (I had one in NM unless I wanted to drive to Duke City -- ABQ, couple hours drive.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom