Favorite Item from Trader Joe's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He bought a case of 2 dollar a bottle wine and decanted it to get some air in it and mellow it some.

I buy some 2 dollar wine from time to time and like it too. Foxbrook is the label I have been getting.

Score for Roadfix!

On Edit: The term"Chuck" comes from 2 dollar label called Charles Shaw.

Last edited:
Case of two buck chucks. I decantered them and no one knew. I scored.
msmofet and taxlady...I believe he means that he poured the inexpensive wine into decanters so no one would know that it was Charles Shaw wine aka "2 Buck Chuck" (now 2.99). He said nobody knew because there was no label on the decanter and the wine is excellent quality. Therefore, he served an inexpensive wine and pulled it off as expensive to unsuspecting guests.

I saw the same thing done on the Today Show as an experiment and same thing...blindfolded tasters picked 2 Buck Chuck as the most expensive of the 3 wines offered, 2 of which were $100+

He bought a case of 2 dollar a bottle wine and decanted it to get some air in it and mellow it some.

I buy some 2 dollar wine from time to time and like it too. Foxbrook is the label I have been getting.

Score for Roadfix!

On Edit: The term"Chuck" comes from 2 dollar label called Charles Shaw.

msmofet and taxlady...I believe he means that he poured the inexpensive wine into decanters so no one would know that it was Charles Shaw wine aka "2 Buck Chuck" (now 2.99). He said nobody knew because there was no label on the decanter and the wine is excellent quality. Therefore, he served an inexpensive wine and pulled it off as expensive to unsuspecting guests.

I saw the same thing done on the Today Show as an experiment and same thing...blindfolded tasters picked 2 Buck Chuck as the most expensive of the 3 wines offered, 2 of which were $100+

Thanks guys. I figured it was cheap wine, but that expression had me completely baffled. I buy decent, but cheap wine here in a box: ~$30 for a 4 litre box

Dang! I envy your California wine prices.

Attachments

• TJ wine.jpg
    TJ wine.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Two buck chuck.jpg
    Two buck chuck.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Thanks guys. I figured it was cheap wine, but that expression had me completely baffled. I buy decent, but cheap wine here in a box: ~$30 for a 4 litre box

Dang! I envy your California wine prices.

TL darlin, I'm sending you a sympathy card. Holy cow it's criminal to have to pay $30.00 for boxed wine. I always have a box in the fridge, and we even pack a box in our luggage when we travel. I like Vella brand the best, and I've never paid more than $10.00 a box. It's excellent wine to boot.
Peter Vella Boxed White Wine wins the 2007 ChefsBest Award for Best Taste

I've had "two buck Chuck" from TJ's but I really prefer Vella box.

TL darlin, I'm sending you a sympathy card. Holy cow it's criminal to have to pay $30.00 for boxed wine. I always have a box in the fridge, and we even pack a box in our luggage when we travel. I like Vella brand the best, and I've never paid more than $10.00 a box. It's excellent wine to boot.

That looks great. I like having the box. Even though I have a thingee that sucks the air out of a bottle and closes it airtight, I find it hard to put that bottle away if it isn't empty. I like being able to take just one glass.

Last edited:

Huh? The things you learn here in the DC forum...wine in a box??? And I went to the website you posted and it said that their wine is good in fish & seafood marinades...people seriously marinade fish??? Fish has such a mild flavor to begin with.

When you said you packed boxed wine in your suitcases I thought you meant a boxed case of bottled wine...
...I was thinkin' now there's a gal who enjoys her travelin' :LOL:.
Then I clicked on that website...phew

Attachments

• Vintage women.jpg
    Vintage women.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Huh? The things you learn here in the DC forum...wine in a box??? And I went to the website you posted and it said that their wine is good in fish & seafood marinades...people seriously marinade fish??? Fish has such a mild flavor to begin with.

When you said you packed boxed wine in your suitcases I thought you meant a boxed case of bottled wine...
...I was thinkin' now there's a gal who enjoys travlin' :LOL:.
Then I clicked on your website...phew

Wine in a box is great. There is a plastic bag inside that collapses as the wine is served, so air doesn't get in. There is a little spigot on the outside of the box (well, you usually have to pull it out yourself) for serving the wine.

:ROFLMAO: good golly miss molly......

Don't tell me you don't know about boxed wine!! Tiz a wonderful thing.
It's been around for many many years......I used to take it camping, and my now 30 something little boy would blow up the empty bag inside the box for a pillow, or a float to play in the lake. I'm cracking up with the memory. Now days, with a glass of wine so expensive on cruise ships, we enjoy our boxed wine in our room and figured out a box of $10.00 wine is actually worth $200.00. Told ya I was frugal!!

BTW, boxed wine is sold here in grocery stores, not at TJ's.

Good idea KL. I like to get a large bottle of wine to have around, but lugging it is a nuisance. I'll get the boxed next time. It should be a lot lighter without the glass bottle.

Not all TJ's sell wine.

It's dependent on the local government whether or not the store is granted a license to sell alcohol. e.g. only one TJ's in MA has a liquor license. The one near me does not.
In New Jersey regular grocery stores CANNOT sell alcohol. Thats why there is usually right next door (most times sharing a common inner wall but definatly seperate) the stores Liquor Store. Example Shop-Rite Supermarket & Shop-Rite Liquors.

Back
Top Bottom