"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Chili Rellanos. I make a roasted vegetable omelet topped with hollandaise that is simply delicous! Vegetarian chili is good and you don't even miss the meat if you use beans.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I think molecular gastronomy is fun, but I don't see it as the future.

MG rests on tearing food down and rebuilding it - an incredibly inefficient process that almost completely divorces us from it's connection with the Earth. I enjoy using chemistry and physics to understand the ingredients and the changes that occur in cooking processes. Brewing or cooking Sous Vide are examples. It can also be as "trivial" as examining how to roast chicken to ensure the thigh meat falls off the bone, and breast meat just tips 160F (with crispy skin all over).

Deconstructed classics served with components prepared by different techniques misses the best part of the original dish - the harmony of the ingredients made through flame and time.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher View Post
I think molecular gastronomy is fun, but I don't see it as the future...
In my earlier post, I cited his MG as fascinating food technique, not the wave of the future. I should have been clearer. I don't see the average home cook making MG a way of life anytime soon, nor do I think we should.

My reference was to his discussion in the clip about fruits and vegetables being the future over a meat based table. Also his comments about chefs in America taking responsibility for Americans' eating better.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Please use this thread to share your favorite non-meat main dishes. If you have a recipe to share that would be great, but even just your ideas are welcome.
Quiche
Stuffed eggplant
Spanikopita
Hearty soups
Corn and black bean fritters
veggie ravioli (there are some great frozen ones)
Old 08-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Lentil stew, minestrone, green bean and potato salad, shredded zucchini with a sour cream sauce, green beans with a sour cream sauce, Caesar salad.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

GB, if you like Indian food, you're all set. There are many vegetarian recipes from India that are fantastic.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Years ago, we had dinner in San Francisco, of course it was a restrauant that served fish. I wasn't into fish so chose a dish that was rice with a tomato based sauce. I dug out all the shrimp and scallops, gave them to my son and had rice and sauce. Came home and made my own version of this dish, I added red pepper falkes cried all the way through it. My father loved it and often asked me to make it. Served with a green salad that is icy cold it's delicious. You don't miss fish or meat, The rice does the job. You can add shrimp or scallops but it's great just plain. If you like zucchini, fry it add diced onion and garlic,parsley when zucchini and onion is soft add 6 or 7 beaten eggs a little water, salt and pepper and parmesan cook til eggs are set this is so good add some bread and a salad your set.
kadesma
Old 08-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Andy I love Indian food, but unfortunately my wife has not joined me in that yet.

Tonight I made couscous with steamed veggies. It was quick, easy, inexpensive, healthy, and did not have meat.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #19
Everymom

GB, have you looked at quinoa? I have a killer recipe for a quinoa salad that is filling, beautiful and tasty.

Also, I like to fill the protein gap with cheese or eggs if we are doing a vegetarian meal. My kids love the grilled cheese sandwich night, and a frequent request is the cracker/cheese/pickles/oysters plate for supper.

I do the tortilla pinwheels sometimes for dinner too and egg, a cheesy mixture one and tuna are the far and away favorites.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #20
Head Chef

GB, I eat mostly vegetarian, so I have lots of great recipes. Here's a partial list of main dishes - will PM any of these recipes to you if you're interested:

BLACK BEAN PATTIES WITH CILANTRO AND LIME
VEGETABLE CHILI
VEGETABLE COUSCOUS PAELLA
VEGETABLE TEMPURA WITH HONEY-MUSTARD SAUCE
FAUX FRIED EGGPLANT (main or side)
CHICKPEA STEW

SWEET PEPPERS WITH PASTA
FARFALLE WITH SPINACH AND GARBANZO BEANS
SPAGHETTI ALLA CECI (Spaghetti With Chick Peas)
PASTA WITH GARLIC OIL AND TOASTED BREADCRUMBS

VEGETARIAN TORTILLA SOUP
CURRY-LENTIL SOUP

THAI-STYLE PASTA SALAD
CURRIED COUSCOUS SALAD WITH DRIED CRANBERRIES