Favorite prawn recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Overcooking fresh seafood is a common problem. (Up to five minutes to saute a prawn seems like a bit too long.)
I watch MC Australia and MC New Zealand. The 'homes' of the freshest seafood.
It's surprising how often the contestants overcook seafood.
The judges tell they have done so in no uncertain terms.

I completely agree

So many great ideas! Prawns-- or shrimp-- are on sell right now, think I'll go pick up a bit more and try a few of these out.
One thing I have done with shrimp in the past:
Reduce down about 3 cups of orange juice (fresh is best, but store bought works just fine) until it reaches about 1/2 cup.
Throw in garlic, sauté just a bit, then throw in shrimp and sauté until just turning pink. Take it off heat. Add orange zest. Toss with cold/cool/or room temp quinoa mixed with peas and fresh mint, a nice fresh squeeze of an orange over top.
Delish!

I was hoping to grill shrimp tonight, but the weather is rubbish here in South Africa so on the stove top tonight it'll be.

I was looking for shrimp ideas, and found this old thread. Thought I'd bump it for maybe some new ideas. Shrimp and asparagus are both on sale now. Hmmmm...

Thank you for reviving this thread.. :)

We have shrimp frequently (Jeannie's favorite) and I like dipping sauces for them. Many great ideas here..

I will be doing these 2 from Dawgluver soon..butterflied coconut shrimp with a marmalade horseradish dipping sauce and prawns served in avocado halves with Marie Rose sauce. :yum:

Ross

Thanks for reviving this, Kay. I'll have to go through this thread again. Lots of good ideas here. :yum:

Ugh....looks like the link to the Outback Coconut Shrimp and Dipping Sauce doesn't exist anymore. :huh: I'll have to check and see if I have a paper copy, as it was really good. Pretty sure there's other good ones out there, though. :chef:

Shrimp have been placed on my shopping list for this coming Tuesday. Thanks everyone for the great sounding recipes.

I just came across a recipe for asparagus and shrimp. The final step called to place the shrimp on top of the asparagus and cook for 12 minutes covered! Has that cook gone mad? I am fond of asparagus and love shrimp. What I don't love is rubber to chew on. I have never cooked shrimp for that length of time. And I never will.

Well, that is one recipe that will never see the inside of my kitchen.

My kids grew up with yellow mustard. Wouldn't even touch Dijon mustard. They don't know what they are missing.

One of my favorites is crab-stuffed coconut shrimp, served with rustic, mashed rutabaga, or sweet potato, and steamed summer squash. dipping sauces include honey mustard, made with orange blossom honey, and a very coarse-grind mustard, a crushed tomato-horseradish sauce, a homemade mayo with a bit of fresh-squeezed lemon, and a mayo-Sriracha sauce, and just good old Tonaso sauce. Purchase your favorite jumbo shrimp (not easy peel variety that has been deveined) Butterfly jumbo shrimp by removing the shell, and slicing along the o belly from the tail to the head, and to the mud-vein. Remove the mud-vein. Set the shrimp aside and make the stuffing from minced crab meat, softened scallion, and a bit of garlic. and a hint of sugar. Make a breading of panko bread crumbs, and shredded coconut. Place a tsp, of the crab stuffing into the butterflied shrimp, and carefully dust with AP flour. Dip in egg wash. Roll in breading. Deep fry in hot oil for four minutes. Serve .

Sorry I don't have pictures. These are amazing. You will like them.:yum:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've only ever had prawns in a chop suey roll, it was bought from a Chinese takeaway, very nice it was too as i do like prawns.

This is an all-time favorite of mine that always gets rave reviews. I've included two ingredient lists. On for a larger quantity and the other for half the recipe.

STUFFED SHRIMP WITH PROSCIUTTO AND CRAB

3 Tb Olive Oil
1 Onion, finely diced
¼ C Chopped Parsley, divided
½ C Prosciutto, finely diced
1 C Cornbread crumbs
½ C Chicken Stock
1 Lb Lump Crabmeat
TT Salt Pepper
20 Shrimp, U12 size, peeled, tails on
8 Tb Melted butter

Preheat oven to 400º F.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion, half the parsley and the prosciutto for 3 to 5 minutes until fragrant.

Combine cornbread crumbs and the chicken stock with the sautéed mixture in a large bowl.

Gently fold in crabmeat and remaining parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

Devein the shrimp. Butterfly the shrimp by deepening the deveining cut along the first half of the shrimps’ length (the fattest part) without cutting through.

Spread the fattest part of the shrimp flat and place the shrimp, cut side down, with the tail in the air so it resembles the tail of a scorpion. It is in this position that you will cook the shrimp.

Spoon 2 tablespoons of the stuffing onto the shrimp, placing the stuffing onto the base of the shrimp and packing it inside the curved part of the shrimp.

Perch the shrimps on a lightly buttered baking dish, maintaining the same position. Drizzle with some melted butter and bake 10 to 15 minutes.

1½ Tb Olive Oil
½ Onion, finely diced
⅛ C Chopped Parsley, divided
¼ C Prosciutto, finely diced
½ C Cornbread crumbs
¼ C Chicken Stock
½ Lb Lump Crabmeat
TT Salt & Pepper
10 Shrimp, U12 size, peeled, tails on
4 Tb Melted butter

Latest posts

Back