Favorite prawn recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teeinthekitchen

Assistant Cook
Picked up a 400 gram bag of big shelled devained prawns today.

what's your favorite recipes? Love light, healthy sauces or marinates.

From Escoffier:'Sauce Veloute':50 g unsalted clarified butter (you can sub with regular butter but it won't be quite as good), 2 1/2 oz AP sifted flour to make the roux. In low heat sauce pan. When the roux is cooked (dextrinized) cool it in the fridge.
Back into low heat sauce pan. Blanch one fine chopped shallot in 1 cup of dry white wine until the wine has reduced to just an ounce or so. Add back in the cooled roux with 1/2 liter of hot water and 1/2 liter of hot fish stock. I use bottled clam juice.
Whisk well over low heat until the sauce is just beginning to slow boil. Season well. Gently whisk in the juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon and a few drops of Pernod. Adjust seasoning again.(Remember when adding Kosher salt or especially regular table salt it takes a couple of minutes for the salt to incorporate into the liquid so add salt carefully.)
The finished sauce should be the consistency of light cream. Add more hot water if needed.
You have cut the prawns in half lengthwise earlier when the roux was cooling.
Have the serving plates getting nice and hot in the oven.
Add the sliced prawns to the hot sauce literally a minute before serving
I like to serve this dish with bow-tie pasta. Pasta on plate. Hot sauce ladled not over the pasta but beside it.
By the time your guests are picking up their cutlery the sliced prawns will be cooked perfectly.
Garnish pasta with a gremolata. I use Panko bread crumbs and ribbons of lemon zest, roasted garlic and flat leaf parsley. You can also add a sprinkle of dried chili flakes and or grated hard cheese if you want to. Whatever. But the gremolata should be the last topping. I don't use any OO in the gremolata. The sauce adds enough liquid to the finished dish.
Warn guests about hot plates. You need nice big plates for this to work. Crowding the pasta and sauce together will soon make the dish look 'gloopy'.
Serve with cool not cold Pinot Gris.
This is my go-to basic sauce when cooking seafood and pasta.

Picked up a 400 gram bag of big shelled devained prawns today.

what's your favorite recipes? Love light, healthy sauces or marinates.

Don't really have any one favorite. Since your shrimp (prawns) are shelled and deveined, get them drunk, in a Mexican style, Tequila-Lime Shrimp.:yum: Serve over long grain, white rice with a sliced avocado, red onion salad. Just S&P with a squeeze of lime over top of the salad.

I keep it simple since I want to taste the sweet flavor of the shrimp and not any sauce. I make sure the shrimp are dry, melt butter in a pan and add some garlic (sliced, or just smashed if I'm lazy), saute on Side one for 2-3 minutes, flip and finish for another 1-2 minutes. Add a bit more butter, a splash of white wine, and fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!

If you want to keep it a tad healthier, use half butter/half healthy oil when you saute.

I adore butterflied coconut shrimp with a marmalade horseradish dipping sauce. They can be either baked or fried.

Overcooking fresh seafood is a common problem. (Up to five minutes to saute a prawn seems like a bit too long.)
I watch MC Australia and MC New Zealand. The 'homes' of the freshest seafood.
It's surprising how often the contestants overcook seafood.
The judges tell they have done so in no uncertain terms.

I like to poach them in water with white wine, thyme, lemon juice and salt. I also make lemon aioli for dipping, with mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and a pinch of sugar.

My favorite way with shrimp is very simple. String them on wooden picks, sprinkle with Tajin seasoning (salt/lime/chili) and grill just long enough for them to turn pink.
The worse thing you can do to shrimp is overcook them.

img_1434545_0_d70878f7bce20204b85421b7cb29e124.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely shrimp plate, Kay. And thanks to you, I just added another item to my yearly TJ's foray.

Overcooking fresh seafood is a common problem. (Up to five minutes to saute a prawn seems like a bit too long.)
I watch MC Australia and MC New Zealand. The 'homes' of the freshest seafood.
It's surprising how often the contestants overcook seafood.
The judges tell they have done so in no uncertain terms.
It also amazes me why cooked king prawns feature in fish pie ready meals. They have to be baked at a fairly high temperature and the (already cooked) large prawns become really unpalatably tough!

When I was in London a few eons ago, a very popular dish was prawns served in avocado halves with Marie Rose sauce. Absolutely delicious.

I always cook them until they just are at halfway pink. Then when I remove them from the heat, the residual heat finishes the cooking for me. I have yet to serve a tough rubbery prawn. You learn a lot about seafood when you are married to a shrimper. :angel:

Beautiful shrimp dish, Kay. I also love them simply prepared and grilled.

Here's one from a few months ago - marinated in olive oil, garlic, a little fresh lemon juice, cracked black pepper, and very quickly grilled. These were just grilled without skewering, if I remember right.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Thanks for those pictures, Kayelle and Cheryl. Now I have a taste for shrimp. :LOL: If we're showing off with our pictures, here are my "five minute shrimp" from last week. :D I start the shrimp in a preheated and buttered pan with the electric burner set to "medium", cook for 3 minutes, flip and turn heat off. Two minutes later, add a pat of butter and a splash of white wine. Enjoy. :yum:

Attachments

• 2015-08-24 21.48.34.jpg
    2015-08-24 21.48.34.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 238
Mmmm.....another good looking shrimp dish, CG. :yum: We do like to share pics here, don't we? :LOL:

Joey had a delish looking shrimp salad dish the other day on the What's for Dinner thread, too. :yum:

Attachments

• 10551538_10205451686642350_5562645732055825225_o[1].jpg
    10551538_10205451686642350_5562645732055825225_o[1].jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 10818323_10205451682522247_5648754402151715999_o[1].jpg
    10818323_10205451682522247_5648754402151715999_o[1].jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 285
I always cook them until they just are at halfway pink. Then when I remove them from the heat, the residual heat finishes the cooking for me. I have yet to serve a tough rubbery prawn. You learn a lot about seafood when you are married to a shrimper. :angel:
Indeed you do.
I commercial fished for decades on my own boat. I did all the cooking aboard. Spring salmon/rock cod/ling cod/halibut/Dungeness crabs/prawns/shrimp. All came over the rail live. I learned a thing or two about how to cook fresh seafood.

I like to use them in a shrimp salad.

Roughly chopped cooked shrimp, a little mayo, minced celery, minced onion, S&P and a very small amount of minced sweet pickles or pickle relish.

This is great for a salad plate and even better in a shrimp salad club sandwich with lettuce, tomato, crunchy cucumber slices and a couple slices of crispy bacon. :yum:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom