"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-31-2015, 09:08 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Favorite prawn recipes

Picked up a 400 gram bag of big shelled devained prawns today.

what's your favorite recipes? Love light, healthy sauces or marinates.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
Senior Cook

From Escoffier:'Sauce Veloute':50 g unsalted clarified butter (you can sub with regular butter but it won't be quite as good), 2 1/2 oz AP sifted flour to make the roux. In low heat sauce pan. When the roux is cooked (dextrinized) cool it in the fridge.
Back into low heat sauce pan. Blanch one fine chopped shallot in 1 cup of dry white wine until the wine has reduced to just an ounce or so. Add back in the cooled roux with 1/2 liter of hot water and 1/2 liter of hot fish stock. I use bottled clam juice.
Whisk well over low heat until the sauce is just beginning to slow boil. Season well. Gently whisk in the juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon and a few drops of Pernod. Adjust seasoning again.(Remember when adding Kosher salt or especially regular table salt it takes a couple of minutes for the salt to incorporate into the liquid so add salt carefully.)
The finished sauce should be the consistency of light cream. Add more hot water if needed.
You have cut the prawns in half lengthwise earlier when the roux was cooling.
Have the serving plates getting nice and hot in the oven.
Add the sliced prawns to the hot sauce literally a minute before serving
I like to serve this dish with bow-tie pasta. Pasta on plate. Hot sauce ladled not over the pasta but beside it.
By the time your guests are picking up their cutlery the sliced prawns will be cooked perfectly.
Garnish pasta with a gremolata. I use Panko bread crumbs and ribbons of lemon zest, roasted garlic and flat leaf parsley. You can also add a sprinkle of dried chili flakes and or grated hard cheese if you want to. Whatever. But the gremolata should be the last topping. I don't use any OO in the gremolata. The sauce adds enough liquid to the finished dish.
Warn guests about hot plates. You need nice big plates for this to work. Crowding the pasta and sauce together will soon make the dish look 'gloopy'.
Serve with cool not cold Pinot Gris.
This is my go-to basic sauce when cooking seafood and pasta.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeinthekitchen View Post
Picked up a 400 gram bag of big shelled devained prawns today.

what's your favorite recipes? Love light, healthy sauces or marinates.
Don't really have any one favorite. Since your shrimp (prawns) are shelled and deveined, get them drunk, in a Mexican style, Tequila-Lime Shrimp. Serve over long grain, white rice with a sliced avocado, red onion salad. Just S&P with a squeeze of lime over top of the salad.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
Master Chef

I keep it simple since I want to taste the sweet flavor of the shrimp and not any sauce. I make sure the shrimp are dry, melt butter in a pan and add some garlic (sliced, or just smashed if I'm lazy), saute on Side one for 2-3 minutes, flip and finish for another 1-2 minutes. Add a bit more butter, a splash of white wine, and fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!

If you want to keep it a tad healthier, use half butter/half healthy oil when you saute.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:11 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I adore butterflied coconut shrimp with a marmalade horseradish dipping sauce. They can be either baked or fried.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Overcooking fresh seafood is a common problem. (Up to five minutes to saute a prawn seems like a bit too long.)
I watch MC Australia and MC New Zealand. The 'homes' of the freshest seafood.
It's surprising how often the contestants overcook seafood.
The judges tell they have done so in no uncertain terms.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I like to poach them in water with white wine, thyme, lemon juice and salt. I also make lemon aioli for dipping, with mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and a pinch of sugar.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
Master Chef

My favorite way with shrimp is very simple. String them on wooden picks, sprinkle with Tajin seasoning (salt/lime/chili) and grill just long enough for them to turn pink.
The worse thing you can do to shrimp is overcook them.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Looks yummy, Kayelle! What else is on that plate?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
Master Chef

Thanks GG. Marinated grilled veggies is on the left..shrooms/zucchini/peppers/onion.
On the right is this, one of my favorite sides.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe, recipes