"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-20-2006, 05:50 PM   #11
Executive Chef

We always had big Sunday dinners when I was growing up and always had company with us. I continued that when my kids were home. DH plays golf every Sunday afternoon so I don't make anything most Sundays. Sometimes we have breakfast when we get home from church and sometimes we pick up a sandwich, but he leaves as soon as he eats so no need to make a meal unless someone else is here. I really miss those days.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:52 AM   #12
Head Chef

Sunday was always roast day.

And my favorite was a fresh pork roast.

It is a ham that has not been cured.

Don't find it in the meat department anymore, but the butcher there can always get us one.

It has a flavor that is far different than the loin.

Just do not overcook it.

Would rather have a fresh ham than a loin any day.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:41 AM   #13
Head Chef

Always make a big sunday dinner.Fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravey,veggie,rolls,some kind of salad and an assortment of pickles,sometimes bread dressing or a wild rice hot dish and usually make a pie or other desert. If not chicken, I'll make a beef roast or a pork roast or chops, meat loaf, meat balls with mashed potatoes and gravey.Now with summer on the way we will grill out alot, but still a big Sunday dinner.Love to cook Sunday meals.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #14
Master Chef

Good Ole' Sunday comfort food for me is Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, White Gravy, Green Beans with Bacon and Onions, Homemade Bread or Rolls, Apple Pie and a tall glass of Brewed Ice Tea.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

When I was growing up, Sunday dinner was most often roast chicken and rice pilaf.

These days, it's a day when I try to do what most of you do. I make a big meal around a rost or a special dish that may require a little more effort than most recipes.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:42 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Growing up, Sunday dinner was usually Pizza or Chinese take out. Now it can still be that, but we treat it as any other day. We do not eat certain things on certain days.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:42 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Fried chicken

how do you make your chicken and gravy?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:59 AM   #18
Master Chef

Fried Chicken:

Heat oil on medium heat.....I like using a Cast Iron Skillet ..... sometimes I use vegetable oil and sometimes I'll use Crisco Shortening....just depends on what I have on hand.

Put some flour in a large ziplock bag and add S & P and mix that all into the flour

Beat up a couple eggs and add S & P.

Dip the chicken in the egg mixture and let the excess drip off before adding it to the flour. Put the chicken (only a few pieces at a time) in the baggie and coat it with the flour. I shake off the excess flour.

Add chicken to your hot oil and fry till golden brown. I then finish it off in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Just depends on if the chicken browned quickly and if so then I bake it in the oven for 20 min.

Chicken Gravy:

I drain off some of the fat in the skillet.....leaving about 2-3 tablespoons....just eyeball it. I keep the heat on medium and sprinkle in 2-3 heaping tablespoons of flour and work that around in the skillet being sure to get all the fried chicken bits (lots of flavor) off the bottom and to cook the flour otherwise you'll have a raw flour taste. I then whisk in about 1/2 skillet of milk. Add S & P. As the milk cooks it will start to thicken. If it gets too thick for your taste then add a little milk to thin it out. If its too thin then make a slurry and add it. You do this by putting a heaping tbsp. flour in a cup and adding about 1/2 cup of water to that and quickly mixing that around with a fork to get any lumps out and then slowly stream that into the gravy as you quickly whisk while doing so. You'll have to taste your gravy off and on to get the right seasoning with the S & P.

NOTE: Sometimes for a change I will let my chicken soak in a combination of Buttermilk, S & P, Garlic Salt and Hot Sauce. You add enough hot sauce till you get a pinkish blush color. It'll shock you cause you'll use like 3/4 of a bottle but believe me its not hot. Let this soak a couple hours and then proceed with the above. Kind of reminds me of KFC's chicken when i cook it this way.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:16 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

You know, what ever we ate on sunday, it was secondary to the people we ate it with. Having mom,dad,sister,brother,cousin,gramma and grampa, aunts and uncles there with us were what made it special. While the grownups talked we half listened as we poked each other and snickered when one of us burped or made other noises the adults frowned on..Part of us wanted to finish up and go play some more,but, the thought of missing what the adults had lowered their voices about lured us to linger a bit longer. Yes, we remember the chicken or roast, but mostly we remember those we love.

kadesma
Old 04-22-2006, 12:50 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I remember one Sunday when we didn't have company - my two sisters and I were talking about something and got so tickled we couldn't eat. After seeing we weren't getting anywhere with our food, mom and dad told us to go sit on the back steps until we could control ourselves. I don't remember if we went back to finish or not, but we could laugh ourselves silly over the smallest thing - still can when we get together.