Favorite Sunday dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i can say i'm less than a fan of Sunday dinner. Dad made the same 2 things most Sundays in my 25 most weekends- roast beef & beef stew. blech. some days he'd roast chickens & those were great. now that i have an apt., i may start roasting cornish hens on Sunday.

Once I finally get this kitchen completed I plan on starting up a tradition of eating Sunday meals here. I love having my family around me. Where we used to live was out of the way and now that we live back in town and the family is very close by we can have get togethers. Our first home that was here in town......this is our 3rd..... was so small we couldn't have big get togethers. I can't wait. But I'll whip up more than the traditional fried chicken I grew up with.

kadesma said:
You know, what ever we ate on sunday, it was secondary to the people we ate it with. Having mom,dad,sister,brother,cousin,gramma and grampa, aunts and uncles there with us were what made it special. While the grownups talked we half listened as we poked each other and snickered when one of us burped or made other noises the adults frowned on..Part of us wanted to finish up and go play some more,but, the thought of missing what the adults had lowered their voices about lured us to linger a bit longer. Yes, we remember the chicken or roast, but mostly we remember those we love.

kadesma:)
There isn't a single thing I don't love about your post!!:) It is what i long for and have such a hard time replicating.Ahh but to have those memories truly a treasure!!!Lots of love and energy to you!!Vicki

VickiQ said:
There isn't a single thing I don't love about your post!!:) It is what i long for and have such a hard time replicating.Ahh but to have those memories truly a treasure!!!Lots of love and energy to you!!Vicki
Thank you Vicki, one day I hope that this happens for you too.For me, it's all that life is.

kadesma, I think you've hit on why the Sunday meals were so memorable - they were always shared with those we love. I remember when my kids were growing up they always had people over on Sunday. I had made a lot of strawberry preserves the week before one of them came. My son finished his meal with the preserves and a biscuit. His friend did also. Many months later when we were eating and the same little visitor was there he said "Mrs. B. do you have any more of those strawberry preserves?". The kids always seemed to feel at home here. One little neighbor girl had come down to go swimming with my kids. For a snack, I gave them cheese and crackers and grapes. She rode her bike down later in the week and while she was here said "could I please have some grapes?" Once when we were eating dinner (the sermon had gone on quite long) one of my son's friends said "Mrs. B, this roast is really good, I always did like mine a little dark". I was a bit perplexed as to how to take that, but if he enjoyed it, that was fine. I suppose all these things had a part in making Sunday my favorite day of the week, and also a bit wistful that things aren't like that often anymore. DH plays golf after church on Sunday so we don't often have company for Sunday dinner. Our loss!

licia,
these are the kinds of things that as you remember them, they wrap around you like a big warm hug..Treasure them always. I know you do as do I. I'm so glad my DH enjoys this as much as I do, he does sometimes fall asleep in his chair, but one of the kids will go climb up with him and the next time you look there they are both sound asleep with DH's arms wrapped around them.

It's a good thing my son doesn't see these posts. He'd have me in a headlock in short order. He went with a girl for about a year and a half and she really made herself at home here. If she wasn't here for dinner, she would call and ask what we were having. If she was here, as everyone would be finishing up "does anyone want any more veggies, or salad, or whatever?" my son would say "does anyone want any more rice or pasta"(or something else). They would finish the food. They were both skinny as rails, so could afford the second helpings. We always enjoyed her being here and were sad when they broke up. Of course, we are glad he is now married (to someone else) and has those beautiful grandchildren.

Not really dinner but on sundays when TJ doesn't work, we like to pick up sushi and go eat it at a nice picnic place facing the sea.

biev said:
Not really dinner but on sundays when TJ doesn't work, we like to pick up sushi and go eat it at a nice picnic place facing the sea.
That's making your own sunday memories Biev..Someday you will pass that on or gather up your loved ones and have a big picnic by the sea that everyone will look forward to.

I know, it's great! We do it every other sunday, because TJ works every other weekend, so we have two weeks to look forward to it. It's also great because on his short week he is off friday-saturday-sunday, so by sunday we've already done all our errands, cleaning and shopping, so we can just sit and enjoy the day :)

biev said:
I know, it's great! We do it every other sunday, because TJ works every other weekend, so we have two weeks to look forward to it. It's also great because on his short week he is off friday-saturday-sunday, so by sunday we've already done all our errands, cleaning and shopping, so we can just sit and enjoy the day :)
Sounds delicious and relaxing, the end of a beautiful day.

I think Craig Morgan put it well is his song "that's what I love about sundays."
He says "Have some chicken and some baked beans" mmm. You can just sit outside on the patio furniture eating fried chicken, baked beans, potato salad. Maybe some cole slaw. mmm. Can you tell I'm from the South?

Back
Top Bottom