"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Favorite Way to Make Poutine?

I don't make poutine often--about twice a year and usually in the summer. Well, since I had leftover turkey giblet gravy (some of the best gravy I've ever made--could've been because I glazed the turkey with maple syrup), and since turkey gravy is my favorite gravy for poutine...I added chopped up chunks of turkey to the gravy, and dressed the fries (skin on) with the gravy, fresh cheese curds, fresh ground pepper, and sliced jalepeno peppers. The addition of the jalepenos was really nice. I've never thought of adding jalepenos as a poutine topping...

Terrible for one's health, but every now and again, I crave poutine...or maybe it was the turkey gravy...

How do you make poutine (if you make poutine)?

Old 05-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Fries, gravy, curds... I'm a minimalist

The one store that used to carry vacuum sealed curds stopped though, so no poutine for me anymore

Old 05-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Cook

Got me thinking about poutine again. Thanks for your creation it sounds good.

It's almost like poutine has turned the gourmet corner now and anything goes. I like the simple way too but just rarely get around to having curds in my fridge so I usually just use shredded mozzarella. I recently did a video for stuffed green peppers and since I made them for my daughter, I added a poutine on the side but used the tomato sauce rather than a gravy. She really liked it, although I suppose it was a far stretch from real poutine.

Oddly, last summer I was in Quebec City and stopped by a poutine restaurant and was quite disappointed actually. KFC makes a better poutine than the one I had there!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Riviere du Loup is the home of poutine. I've been to the place that invented it--they had about 15 different ways of dressing the fries--chili and cheese curds, spaghetti sauce and curds, I can't remember them all. Its been years since I've been to Riviere du Loup. The secret is the gravy. And how fresh the curds are. The place where you ate in QC probably used canned gravy and not homemade. I prefer mine with turkey giblet gravy...don't find that at chip wagons. And, that's why I can only make poutine after I've made a turkey and gravy (we roast a turkey about 8-9x a year, but I don't always make gravy). A friend of mine from Quebec put ketchup on top of his poutine...
Old 05-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Fries, gravy, curds... I'm a minimalist

The one store that used to carry vacuum sealed curds stopped though, so no poutine for me anymore
You can mailorder curds from Yancey's in NY.

Yancey's Fancy
Old 05-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Half Baked

My wife's family is from northern Maine and poutine can be had at breakfast lunch or dinner.I must admit I have tried it at all three meals.

The best ever was served by a girl with green hair in a trailer restaurant outside of quebec in the country. I had a 8 percent "Blue Dry" beer with it. Yummo!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

4meandthem--you just gave me an idea! Instead of curds, chunks of bleu cheese!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I picked up some blue cheese today, found a container of turkey gravy in the freezer, have potatoes. Poutine with turkey gravy and chunks of blue cheese is what I'm making for lunch tomorrow (which might qualify as breakfast for many of you since it will be around 8:30-9:00 a.m. EDT). I "might" add some St. Albert's cheese curds...........

Tonight I had "zucchini" poutine. I am trying to empty the freezer, found some oven-fried breaded zucchini sticks. Crisped those in the oven, added homemade salsa I heated in the microwave, topped with some St. Albert's cheese curds. I can hardly wait for the zucchini and eggplant to be ready in the garden. When I do this with eggplant, I'll probably make a tomato sauce with oregano and use feta instead of cheese curds...

I'll let you know what I think of the bleu cheese instead of curds. I debated making a garlicky white sauce instead of using gravy, but thought I'd just swap out the curds for blue cheese chunks. Next time I might swap the gravy for a white sauce.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

i saw poutine on a cooking show recently, and finally realized that they are known here in joisey as disco fries.

altough, many greek diners here sub mild feta for curds.

i'm not sure which name is better or worse.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I blanched the potatoes (in the oil), drained them, brought the fryer up to high and finished the fries. Cut the bleu cheese in cubes, heated the gravy. Assembled everything and just finished eating poutine en bleu (which, btw, is Quebec slang for being in a mood). I'd use bleu cheese again in poutine. Now I'm full!