"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Thanks for asking, I learned something today also.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #52
Head Chef

There's only one type of dumb question in my book... a disingenuous one. One whose answer was meant to be ignored in the first place. Sometimes, it's easily recognized as a blatantly obvious leading question. Meant for the questioner to disrespect the answer and argue for what he/she believes the answer should be.

It's okay, however, if the questioner ignores my reply because it was I who gave a dumb answer.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #53
Master Chef

I used to be an electronics repairman on B-52s, KC-135s and HH somethings (can't remember) in the Air Force. Tempers get very short in North Dakota towards the end of winter, especially if you have to work on the flight line where there is nothing to block the wind. We'd get service calls where we had to go out to the aircraft just before takeoff because NOTHING was working. I don't know how it works now (I was 19 at the time, I'm 56 now, do the math), but much pilot/nav equipment was sound cued. I was afraid of my shadow (the only woman working on the flight line), but the guys just loved to sneak up behind and already tempermental pilot or navigator and turn the volume on the headsets, really, really high!

I believe most questions aren't stupid, but do agree on spork's disingenious comment, when someone is manipulating you by pretending to be unknowledgeable, be it from trying to trip you up or people who pretend ignorance to play up to someone of the opposite sex or get out of work, or in the above case, just plain mental laziness.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #54
Sous Chef

the dumbest classification for a question is the one where

question is asked, good / sound / reasonable / appropriate answers /advice given, but all suggestions are deemed not acceptable by the questioner.

the onliest more worser situation is where the questioner, having rejected all ideas and suggestions, returns to demand more answers-to-be-rejected-out-of-hand.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
There's only one type of dumb question in my book... a disingenuous one. One whose answer was meant to be ignored in the first place. Sometimes, it's easily recognized as a blatantly obvious leading question. Meant for the questioner to disrespect the answer and argue for what he/she believes the answer should be.

It's okay, however, if the questioner ignores my reply because it was I who gave a dumb answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I believe most questions aren't stupid, but do agree on spork's disingenious comment, when someone is manipulating you by pretending to be unknowledgeable, be it from trying to trip you up or people who pretend ignorance to play up to someone of the opposite sex or get out of work, or in the above case, just plain mental laziness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
the dumbest classification for a question is the one where

question is asked, good / sound / reasonable / appropriate answers /advice given, but all suggestions are deemed not acceptable by the questioner.

the onliest more worser situation is where the questioner, having rejected all ideas and suggestions, returns to demand more answers-to-be-rejected-out-of-hand.
Fortunately, the only one of these I've run into very often is the mental laziness one. The few times I've run into the others though, "frshin rfin urgin grrrrrrrrrrr, I'd bite you if it wasn't a health hazard. For me."

I'm also fortunate that most of my current customers will go out of their way to help me get their stuff fixed and are very appreciative of my efforts. They're pretty cool people in general and are just so happy that they're not being forgotten about on thirds that I could ask them to stand on their heads and sing the hokey pokey and if it would help, they'd do it. Seriously, I got told this by one of my customers. Laughed so hard I had to pee when the call was done. It totally made my night.