Filo & goats cheese parcels melting... help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freakychic

Assistant Cook
I am trying to make goats cheese in filo pastry parcels and every recipe I can find says to put it in the oven. But when I do this the goats cheese melts out of the bottom of the pastry :(!!!! Why does this happen how do I stop this happening?

Thanks,
Freakychic

I am trying to make goats cheese in filo pastry parcels and every recipe I can find says to put it in the oven. But when I do this the goats cheese melts out of the bottom of the pastry :(!!!! Why does this happen how do I stop this happening?

Thanks,
Freakychic
How many layers of filo are you using?
Are you painting each layer with butter or oil?
Are you sealing the joins properly?

As Steve says, we need more info.

This is the recipe I am trying to use Goat's cheese purses recipe - All recipes UK

I am using 4 sheets of filo at different angles as it says in the recipe and buttering all of them. I do wonder if maybe I am using too much butter and the filo is too soggy and just splitting ?

thank you for your help :chef:
The only thing I can think of is that you might have been a bit too generous with the oil on the filo sheets or that the filling might have been too moist. If the latter, perhaps finishing the cooking of the filling before wrapping in the filo should have been done on a high light to dry it out a bit.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Check your oven temp and also the time. You may be able to make an adjustment to one or both that will allow the browning of the pastry and not allow the cheese to melt completely.

How about chilling the bundles before baking them or freezing the chunks of goat cheese before assembling the bundles.

The only other thing I can think of is to put a small amount of breadcrumbs in the bottom of each bundle to absorb some of the melting cheese.

If all else fails try using frozen puff pastry for a more substantial outer layer, similar to the baked brie that was all the rage a few years ago.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Check your oven temp and also the time. You may be able to make an adjustment to one or both that will allow the browning of the pastry and not allow the cheese to melt completely.

How about chilling the bundles before baking them or freezing the chunks of goat cheese before assembling the bundles.

I agree that oven temp may be the issue here. Cooking at a higher temp with chilled centers may do the trick. BTW the recipe looks wonderful - I'm going to try it :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom