"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bristol
Posts: 3
Filo & goats cheese parcels melting... help

I am trying to make goats cheese in filo pastry parcels and every recipe I can find says to put it in the oven. But when I do this the goats cheese melts out of the bottom of the pastry !!!! Why does this happen how do I stop this happening?

Thanks,
Freakychic

__________________

__________________
freakychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,414
Hard to tell without seeing what the recipe is instructing you to do.

Do you have a link?
__________________

__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakychic View Post
I am trying to make goats cheese in filo pastry parcels and every recipe I can find says to put it in the oven. But when I do this the goats cheese melts out of the bottom of the pastry !!!! Why does this happen how do I stop this happening?

Thanks,
Freakychic
How many layers of filo are you using?
Are you painting each layer with butter or oil?
Are you sealing the joins properly?

As Steve says, we need more info.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bristol
Posts: 3
This is the recipe I am trying to use Goat's cheese purses recipe - All recipes UK

I am using 4 sheets of filo at different angles as it says in the recipe and buttering all of them. I do wonder if maybe I am using too much butter and the filo is too soggy and just splitting ?

thank you for your help
__________________
freakychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakychic View Post
This is the recipe I am trying to use Goat's cheese purses recipe - All recipes UK

I am using 4 sheets of filo at different angles as it says in the recipe and buttering all of them. I do wonder if maybe I am using too much butter and the filo is too soggy and just splitting ?

thank you for your help
The only thing I can think of is that you might have been a bit too generous with the oil on the filo sheets or that the filling might have been too moist. If the latter, perhaps finishing the cooking of the filling before wrapping in the filo should have been done on a high light to dry it out a bit.

Sorry not to be more helpful.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Check your oven temp and also the time. You may be able to make an adjustment to one or both that will allow the browning of the pastry and not allow the cheese to melt completely.

How about chilling the bundles before baking them or freezing the chunks of goat cheese before assembling the bundles.

The only other thing I can think of is to put a small amount of breadcrumbs in the bottom of each bundle to absorb some of the melting cheese.

If all else fails try using frozen puff pastry for a more substantial outer layer, similar to the baked brie that was all the rage a few years ago.

Good luck!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bristol
Posts: 3
Thank you all for your ideas I will try them all.
__________________
freakychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Check your oven temp and also the time. You may be able to make an adjustment to one or both that will allow the browning of the pastry and not allow the cheese to melt completely.

How about chilling the bundles before baking them or freezing the chunks of goat cheese before assembling the bundles.
I agree that oven temp may be the issue here. Cooking at a higher temp with chilled centers may do the trick. BTW the recipe looks wonderful - I'm going to try it :)
__________________

__________________
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cheese, oats

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.