Finding decent frozen peas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neptune

Cook
In the past, I don't recall having problems ever finding decent frozen peas. For the most part, I remember the peas being reasonably tender and sweet.

Well, a few weeks ago, I bought some Earthbound Farms organic frozen peas. They were plain awful—tough and flavorless. The next week, I bought some "sweet" garden peas by Birds Eye. These were slightly better, but still not very good. Then on my most recent trip to the store, I bought some generic-brand "tiny" peas. Not only were they not particularly tiny, but they were also flavorless and tough.

What gives? Why has it become so hard to find decent frozen peas? Are there any common brands that are reliably good? Thanks for any info.

I hated peas my entire life until about a year or so ago.
We use the "Steam Fresh" microwave veggies all the time. I tried the greens peas with mushroom. I did mix in some butter before serving.
I actually liked them. I now can eat them.........LOL
62 years to actually give the pea a shot!

I hear ya, neptune. I've noticed over the past few years that even the frozen sweet baby peas I used to buy have gotten larger, mealier, and not nearly as good as they used to be. I think it was Birdseye that used to be consistently good, not so much anymore to me. I haven't found a substitute yet.

I really haven't found any good frozen peas, though I do buy them on occasion, when on sale, to add to curries, and other dishes, where the low quality isn't really noticed. The only good peas I've gotten were from my garden, but even there, it's not the same, at least in the spring, because the weather would get hot too soon - now I usually plant in the late summer, for a fall harvest, with better luck.

Maybe the global warming is having the same effect on commercial growers?

I only use peas in soups and stews. I don't eat them by themself. So, I haven't noticed.

It could be we are coming from a particularly bad season for peas. That happens with a lot of vegetables.

CD

I almost always have frozen peas in the freezer, but they need to be used fairly quickly. I've never (at least so far) had an issue with Green Giant, Birdseye, or even the Albertsons brand. I usually just use them as an add-in, but sometimes I like a bowl of peas warmed and buttered as a side.

My girls used to love them scattered on their high chair trays, right out the freezer, as a snack. :)

I used to enjoy frozen peas, but not for a while.

Once my frozen bag of peas is opened, the nitrogen that was factory pumped in to preserve shelf life escapes. They start drying out soon afterwards. I suppose vacuum sealing them might help. I envisioned a nitrogen pen dispenser/container to put in more nitrogen once a package is opened. I never even got past the trial stages of effectiveness I'm sorry to say.

Last edited:
Once my frozen bag of peas is opened, the nitrogen that was factory pumped in to preserve shelf life escapes. They start drying out soon afterwards. I suppose vacuum sealing them might help. I envisioned a nitrogen pen dispenser/container to put in more nitrogen once a package is opened. I never even got past the trial stages of effectiveness I'm sorry to say.

I vacuum seal my frozen peas and corn once the bag is opened. It seems to be working. But, like I said, I only use them as an ingredient, not on their own.

CD

Peas ARE kinda hard to scoop up with a fork on a dinner plate, haha. I have them when I make mashed potatoes to go with chicken and meat loaf dinners. And yes, they are added to things like my beef stew and rice and curry chicken attempts.

Heh, I have to smash the package down on the counter to break them up once they've been in the freezer for too long, not long at all.

Last edited:
Peas ARE kinda hard to scoop up with a fork on a dinner plate, haha. I have them when I make mashed potatoes to go with chicken and meat loaf dinners. And yes, they are added to things like my beef stew and rice and curry chicken attempts.

Heh, I have to smash the package down on the counter to break them up once they've been in the freezer for too long, not long at all.

Peas or corn off the cob are best eaten with mashed potatoes. :LOL:

CD

I eat my peas wit honey,
I’ve done it all my life.
It may taste kinda funny,
But it keeps them on the knife!

I hate peas! Whenever I’m preparing a recipe that includes peas, I switch out edamame.

I've noticed over the past few years that even the frozen sweet baby peas I used to buy have gotten larger, mealier, and not nearly as good as they used to be. I think it was Birdseye that used to be consistently good, not so much anymore to me. I haven't found a substitute yet.

Thanks for the info, Dawgluver. This trend is very disturbing. I wonder what the reason is? Are the companies just trying to maximize profits at the expense of quality?

Thank you to everyone else who has contributed to this thread thus far too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom