"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-20-2007, 10:31 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Best thing to do might be to get a job there as a dishwasher. Work hard and show them you are interested in cooking and they will most likely move you up the ladder that way.
I agree start out washing dishes if you can do that with out going crazy you can handle working in the kitchen.In alot of places when there is some down time they will let you start doing some prep,next become a prep cook and work your way up.Watch how the cooks and prep cooks do things ask questions on what they are doing.If you are a natural cook it wont take long to move up.
There is a book by Jaques Pepin called Complete Tecniques which I think is very valuable reading it shows you how to do just about any thing with pictures.Another good one is Good Housekeepings Illustrated Cookbook.It shows you how to make dishes step by step also with pictures.Another one is Joy of Cooking I actually learned alot from that one they explain alot of things besides having alot of good recipes.

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
as mentioned, good spirit and enthusiasm. (literally translated, enthusiasm means "god within")

my advice,
take on whatever job is offered. do it to the best of your ability.
get in on time, every day.
keep your yap shut, and your eyes open.
don't look for breaks, or watch the clock to see when you can leave.

understand that all great experiences in life begin with the first few steps, and these are yours.
appreciate it for what it is, and never forget your goal.

if you do these things, mixed with your obvious interest in cooking, the rest will fall into place.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #13
Master Chef
Emeril Lagasse started off washing pots and pans after school.

Wolfgang Puck started off sleeping on a cot in the basement of a restaurant in the room where they stored the vegetables ... and peeled vegetables to pay for his room and board.

Like others have said ... ATTITUDE! Get your foot in the door - and with the right attitude you'll move up.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:21 AM   #14
Head Chef
Another book to check out to get an idea of the experience of working your way into the business is Heat by Bill Buford. It certainly opened my eyes. I would never have had the passion that it takes to be a professional chef. Much as I enjoy cooking, that life is not for me.
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Learn to just talk to the people working at the restaurants, jobs may not be advertised and they may be just looking for someone outgoing that would fit in with the staff. And go to different restaurants and ask about jobs. Like I said, not every job is advertised.
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:20 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
Callisto is right. Many places don't advertise, and many just place a sign in the window.
abandonship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
In real estate, it's...location, location, location.

In the food business, it's...work, work, work and learn, learn, learn.
If you really want to get into the food business, you need to do whatever it takes to get the job done. Wash dishes, peel potatoes, clean tables. Whatever it takes to learn what goes on in a restaurant. Keep your eyes open. Don't be a slacker. Ask questions and learn, learn, learn.

Plus, read cookbooks and get educated on techniques and the basics. Do well in "regular" school so that you can take advantage of scholarships, etc.

And, as others have said, working in the world of food isn't a "cushy" job. It's long hours and hot, hard work. If you are passionate about what you want to do, go for it. Best of luck and keep your nose to the grindstone and keep it clean, too. Don't get into anything that will stray from your goals.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote