First crock pot roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok.....a dark brown crust?

That sure would have been good to know 5 hours ago when I put it into the crock pot......

crap.

Ok.....a dark brown crust?

That sure would have been good to know 5 hours ago when I put it into the crock pot......

crap.

Don't sweat it. I never sear my crock pot roasts and they always have good color and taste. Stew meat, yes, crock pot roasts, no. IMO it kinda defeats the purpose of cooking everything in one pot.

Ok.....a dark brown crust?...crap.

When meat meets heat, it immediately turns gray. That's not what you want. The surface has to be dark brown. The color of dark chocolate.

To get a dark brown crust on a piece of meat, start with a very hot pan and oil that is also hot. The meat surfaces must be dry. Use paper towels to dry off the meat before putting it into the pan. The meat will initially stick to the pan but will release itself when a crust forms. Leave it alone in the pan. Don't move it around. When the bottom is the color of dark chocolate, turn the meat over to the other side and repeat. For a large piece of meat like a roast, you can also brown the sides.

Your roast sounds perfect and the ideaof the veggies on the bottom with some onion is the best idea!

Cooking should be fun, soon you will be playing with your food like a pro!

i think so too. i don't add liquid, there will be plenty. i do season each layer of vegetables. i avoid salt, so garlic powder, onion powder, lots of black pepper and paprika. i just made a pork loin using these same instructions. i did put a can of apple pie filling on the top. it got lots of raves and all loved the flavor of the apples. you will do just fine!:chef:

I make sure the layers are seasoned, too, not just the meat. I use McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal seasoning on everything. It's one of two uses I have for it, slow cooker roasts (and veggies) and grilled potato wedges.

There is nothing I can add here, but I did want to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread! I have been laughing my head off!

And yes Luvabigdog, Princess Fiona is beautiful inside and out!

:)Barbara
P.S. My picture is not of me when I was little, but it is my gorgeous granddaughter Hannah a few years ago.

Last edited:
The roast turned out wonderfully. I would like to thank all of you for your kind words of encouragement and especially your advice. I've learned things today that I will take to my next crock pot roast. We went to Bed Bath & Beyond and spent a couple hundred dollars on kitchen gadgets that I wanted. My wife has been cooking without them for years but they are things I think will help me. Honestly, I probably didn't need them. This is turning out to be much more fun than I anticipated. My wife has no work trips planned at all next week so we will cook dinner together all week.

BarbaraL.....Hannah is a beautiful little girl!! I have always loved the American name. And hopefully I did not embarrass PrincessFiona with my remarks as they are yet another frail attempt at humor.

Again, thank you all for your assistance. Tomorrow I think will be grilled fish so that should be easy. We also just concluded about 2 more hours of Gilligans Island. I saw a preview for another show that looks funny called Hogan Hero that comes on starting Monday that we may watch.

The roast turned out wonderfully. I would like to thank all of you for your kind words of encouragement and especially your advice. I've learned things today that I will take to my next crock pot roast. We went to Bed Bath & Beyond and spent a couple hundred dollars on kitchen gadgets that I wanted. My wife has been cooking without them for years but they are things I think will help me. Honestly, I probably didn't need them. This is turning out to be much more fun than I anticipated. My wife has no work trips planned at all next week so we will cook dinner together all week.

BarbaraL.....Hannah is a beautiful little girl!! I have always loved the American name. And hopefully I did not embarrass PrincessFiona with my remarks as they are yet another frail attempt at humor.

Again, thank you all for your assistance. Tomorrow I think will be grilled fish so that should be easy. We also just concluded about 2 more hours of Gilligans Island. I saw a preview for another show that looks funny called Hogan Hero that comes on starting Monday that we may watch.

No embarrassment, just the giggles! :)

I'm glad your pot roast turned out nicely. Bed, Bath and Beyond...we were in there today, too! Love that place!

Last edited:

Good to hear that the roast turned out good and you are having fun with the cooking.

Hogan's Heroes was a great show.

I had to google "Can I Dream of Jeannie" and found it but it is only listed as "I dream of Jeannie". I saw the Beverly Hillbillies and had a difficult time understanding because their dialect and couldn't keep up with the conversation. Green Acres is one we have watched. I like Mr. Whipple the best. America has some great old TV shows. We have to get through Gilligans Island first.

I had to google "Can I Dream of Jeannie" and found it but it is only listed as "I dream of Jeannie". I saw the Beverly Hillbillies and had a difficult time understanding because their dialect and couldn't keep up with the conversation. Green Acres is one we have watched. I like Mr. Whipple the best. America has some great old TV shows. We have to get through Gilligans Island first.

I dream of Jeannie is correct. Funny.

I should have used ""

Can "I Dream of Jeannie" be far behind?

Check out "Car 54 Where Are you?" "Andy of Mayberry" "bewitched" "Family Affair" "my three sons" "Petticoat junction" and "get smart."

Green Acres is a good one too! You have not lived until you see all of the old TV shows. Don't miss "Andy Griffith." My daughter-in-law has to watch that one all of the time.

JennyEmma I am looking for all of those and found some DVD's for sale. We saw the movies Get Smart and Bewitched. They were very funny. All of our friends like reality TV and I just don't get it. Nothing entertaining or informative or silly.....I just don't understand what people enjoy about it. And police shows are not entertaining for us. The old shows are the best.

In my many yrs. of cooking...(ok, I do freely ADMIT, that while Gilligans Island was on TV, my bottom was "parked" at the TV back in the day...just KNEW that ONE day, all of their finely-laid plans would work "THIS TIME" ~ NOT):) LOL, but, as an adult, I have lost count of how many times that I have thrown a roast into the crock. I think they are dang-near IMPOSSIBLE to screw-up. I have braised some prior to, I have tossed them completely, 100% frozen at times into the crock too at times. None have ever been a disappointment!!
I toss in whatever condiments that I can grab. Never the same stuff, but, usually get the same results anyhow...tender, juicy pot roast. No muss, no fuss...it's the "good stuff" too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom